How to Identify Unknown Tracks

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

kmcmillan

How to Identify Unknown Tracks

Post by kmcmillan »

Hello. I am new to MediaMonkey and this forum.

I have reviewed the Wiki and this forum re audio fingerprinting and I cannot seem to get it to work in MM5. I have tracks that have very little information such as Name = Track 01 and Artist = Acoustic 1. This is from home made compilation CDs created from originals. When I use the trial version of Tune Sweeper (different product), it has no problem identifying these tracks from audio fingerprint. But I own MM5 Gold and don't want to pay for Tune Sweeper to get the functionality I need. I have tried changing the artist to various artists (seen in a forum post) and unchecked the option for faster auto-tagging.

I am using the option Auto-Tag from the right click menu (right click on an unknown song). The database is set to the default of Music Brainz w server set to musicbrainz. org. Am I doing something wrong or is MM5 Gold unable to identify unknown music tracks?

Thanks for the help.
Barry4679

Re: How to Identify Unknown Tracks

Post by Barry4679 »

kmcmillan wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:43 pm I am using the option Auto-Tag from the right click menu (right click on an unknown song). The database is set to the default of Music Brainz w server set to musicbrainz. org. Am I doing something wrong or is MM5 Gold unable to identify unknown music tracks?
MM5 has this capability.
I just retested it with a mp3 file. It seems to work AFAICT.
I emptied every tag, and set filename and path so that it had no identifying info.
I then scanned the track into MM5. I checked that all tags were empty, and then I ran autoscan,
That obtained all tags and album art OK.

Check Tools>Options>Library>MetadatLookup. At the bottom you will see an option for "Prefer faster metadata lookups when possible (instead of faster fingerprint)". ... I have this set on. Since I had no tags, it auto reverted to fingerprinting. ... You may have a few misleading tags, so you could try unchecking this option.

You are checking the tracks in the Auto-Tag panel, and then pressing the Tag&Continue button?

[EDIT] If it still is not working for you, what type of tracks are they ... mp3, flac, .. ?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
kmcmillan

Post by kmcmillan »

Thanks for the reply. Is the file format an issue. The format of these files is MPEG-4. Do they need to be converted to MPG3?
kmcmillan

Post by kmcmillan »

A bit more on this. All of the files are .m4a format. I converted to mp3 and the fingerprinting now works.

Question: is converting the files to mp3 the only solution or should it be working w the m4a format? Possibly a missing codec or something?

Thanks in advance.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please open support ticket https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ and supply us DL link to both M4A (that fail) and MP3 (that works) so that we can analyze the algorithm for fingerprinting. On my tested files liek you described it works on any format.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts