MediaMonkey 5 plugin for Rainmeter

To discuss development of addons / skins / customization of MediaMonkey.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

Kodijack

Re: MediaMonkey 5 plugin for Rainmeter

Post by Kodijack »

Peke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:04 pm Ah, BBS (Grand grand father of Social networking) and was Sysop of one of them 1993-1999 till NATO bombing of Serbia.
Oh yes, I totally forgot what you Serbs had to endure. Sorry for that. Some years before that I even was on vacation in yugoslavia....
BBSs were the best time IMHO. Was sysop of one and cosysop of another one.

@TIV73 Yes, sorry too for hijacking ,-)
TIV73

Post by TIV73 »

It will take a bit until I release a new version of anything, so by any means, go on. I don't mind.
TIV73

Post by TIV73 »

A plugin version that contains the new library version just finished building. I'm not going to merge the changes into master until I've had the new version running stable on my end for a while, but you can grab the new version directly from the build pipeline (at the bottom of the screen in the Artifacts section, the item called release).
Kodijack

Post by Kodijack »

Thanks a lot man! Will try it out at the next opportunity!
Kodijack

Post by Kodijack »

YES! It works! Awesome. Thanks a lot again mate!
dethknite

Post by dethknite »

Love this... thank you so much for putting this all together and creating the MediaMonkey.dll that works with the MM5 api.

Quick question on cover art... I am having some issues with it intermittently disappearing... and wasn't sure if there is something perhaps occuring on the side of the api --> dll not picking it up at times.

video: https://youtu.be/lKoe463AC4M

hrmm.. also, sometimes a track play seems to cause it to crash

MediaMonkey.dll: latest release artifact build (x64)
MediaMonkey: 5.0.4.2690
Rainmeter: 4.5.17.3700 64-bit
Last edited by dethknite on Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
dethknite

Post by dethknite »

Could it perhaps be this line in the MediaMonkey.dll, and how it is being consumed in Rainmeter?

internal bool EnableArtUpdate = false; // Updating albumart can be expensive, only update if needed
TIV73

Post by TIV73 »

dethknite wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:13 am internal bool EnableArtUpdate = false; // Updating albumart can be expensive, only update if needed
That line is just a class property and its default value. That doesn't really mean anything, especially since you do see cover art most of the time, so the value is being set correctly.

Album art in general is something that was never fully functional. It kind of works most of the time if you are lucky, but can be flaky. I never really investigated it because it was a thing where I wanted to see if it works at all, and since it mostly does I decided to just leave it in. I should maybe remove it from the documentation.

In any case, the issues you are seeing are most likely related to either to timing issues or some exception when loading the track cover. The library regularly updates the current track data, and then requests the album art list in a separate call. If there is a problem retrieving that information the library just returns null.
Which is likely what you are seeing. Every so often the call to get the album art fails and rainmeter shows you a blank image until the next update. The error messages you are getting further hint at this, the code you are seeing in that error popup is actually the very call to load the track album art. So for whatever reason there is some exception every so often when loading album art, and in some cases it can cause an actual mm exception. There's a good chance that the error messages stop happening if you disable cover loading.
madralf2000

Post by madralf2000 »

Hi there!

I tried the plugin but it still has issues.
  1. Playback position is alternating between zero and the actual position, resulting in a flashing/blinking progress bar
  2. Rainmeter crashes when closing Mediamonkey
Is there a chance for an update or is this an abandoned project?

Thank you!
TIV73

Post by TIV73 »

I just merged the development branch into main. While this, technically speaking, not a new version since it has been available for over a year, chances are that you don't have it yet since it wasn't available from the releases menu on the main page on github.

It contains a new version of the core library that comes with a bunch of fixes, so if you are lucky it also helps with your issues.

Beyond that I don't plan on publishing any future updates because I'm slowly moving from windows to linux, where neither mediamonkey nor rainmeter are availble.
madralf2000

Post by madralf2000 »

Thank you, I really didn't have that newer version. Will try that.

Thanks again!