Album art doesn't show up [#19690]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Zoroasterisk

Album art doesn't show up [#19690]

Post by Zoroasterisk »

Hello,

I'm on version 5.0.4.2690 for MMW, and 2.0.0.1065 for MMA. I can't get album art to show up for about half my library. I've got a little over 9000 tracks, and all except about 70 have album art attached when I look at a song in MMW. I've only ever had this problem with MediaMonkey, and it's only ever occurred on the Android version, never on the Windows side. When I sync, I do it via USB from MMW to MMA. I've tried deleting the entire library and resyncing. I've tried going into Android's Media Storage system app and deleting its data, then restarting. I've made sure it's not because the art is larger than 500x500, and that it's in the first slot in MMW. I've used other 3rd-party music apps to verify that the art successfully transferred during the sync. I've checked for new/changed media in MMA at least a dozens times.

I understand that MMA uses Google's media scanning APK to show album art, and that in the past changes to the way that app works have broken this functionality in MMA, albeit possibly only temporarily. Given that there's a long history of users having the same problem I am, it would seem to me that moving to a different method of handling this function, one not reliant on Google's media scanning, would be a good idea. Are there any plans to create an internal method of displaying album art in MMA 2? Failing that, are there any TS tips that I should try, but haven't?

Thanks in advance
Peke

Re: Album art doesn't show up

Post by Peke »

Hi,
As you have very high number of tracks not showing teh AA, can you please try this:
1. Use Device file manager to search for all "albumart.jpg" in folder and subfolders where your music is.
2. then go to ☰ -> Options -> Library -> Check for updates. That should trigger GMS rescan files and re read AA for them.

If that is successful only thing left is that in Device profile in MM5 disable saving AA into "albumart.jpg" and force sync to tags. That should remedy future issues and new file syncs.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Zoroasterisk

Post by Zoroasterisk »

Peke wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:38 am Hi,
As you have very high number of tracks not showing teh AA, can you please try this:
1. Use Device file manager to search for all "albumart.jpg" in folder and subfolders where your music is.
2. then go to ☰ -> Options -> Library -> Check for updates. That should trigger GMS rescan files and re read AA for them.

If that is successful only thing left is that in Device profile in MM5 disable saving AA into "albumart.jpg" and force sync to tags. That should remedy future issues and new file syncs.
That search doesn't find any results. I still did another check for new/changed media in MMA just for grins, no change. I already had 'Copy Artwork to file tags' selected in MMW.

E: I was able to fix the problem, for the most part. I uninstalled MMA 2 and reinstalled MMA 1.4.4.0956. For whatever reason, it was able to see album art for everything in my library except for a few albums. I was able to delete and re-sync them which worked. Every album affected by that issue was 500p or smaller, so I still have no idea what caused the problem to begin with. I do want to mention that the first sync on the 'new' MMA 1 froze, and tried to re-sync every song in my library, but after cancelling that sync, it did it correctly.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Zoroasterisk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:12 am Do you have any other ideas? Also, are there any plans at Ventis to move to a more predictable method of displaying album art?
Yes, we plan to introduce our own tag reader and cut ties to GMS. Only downside is that ATM GMS runs on OS level and our tag reader runs in APP only and has lower priority.

Strange, that you do not have any albumart.jpg as that is the default setting for device profile.

Interesting is that MMA 1.x have access to AA cache and MMA 2.0 did not except few.

If you are willing to test I wonder if you have you tried to delete track off MMA 2.0 and resync, does that fix AA if it is shown normally in MM5.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Zoroasterisk

Post by Zoroasterisk »

Peke wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:33 pm
Zoroasterisk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:12 am Do you have any other ideas? Also, are there any plans at Ventis to move to a more predictable method of displaying album art?
Yes, we plan to introduce our own tag reader and cut ties to GMS. Only downside is that ATM GMS runs on OS level and our tag reader runs in APP only and has lower priority.

Strange, that you do not have any albumart.jpg as that is the default setting for device profile.

Interesting is that MMA 1.x have access to AA cache and MMA 2.0 did not except few.

If you are willing to test I wonder if you have you tried to delete track off MMA 2.0 and resync, does that fix AA if it is shown normally in MM5.
I probably should've mentioned that I had changed the setting in MMW a long time ago, lol. It always seems more likely to show up properly if I do it that way. And thanks for the info! I was hoping you'd say something like that. I look forward to putting this type of thing behind me.

Also, I have no problem testing. I've still got one album that's being stubborn and not syncing its art, so I'll delete that and one of the ones that worked as a control case, and see if MMA2 can display the art properly. Currently just waiting on the option to show up in the play store.
Zoroasterisk

Post by Zoroasterisk »

So I just tried it a bunch. At first it only copied over 2 tracks. I deleted the whole album on the phone from the MMW side, did a sync and a rescan, and that got the whole album to copy over without art. Tried deleting/resyncing again, and it crashed on the phone every time I tried that. From there, the sync failed until I restarted both devices. After the restart, the first sync froze for a bit, then sync'd the album over again, again without art. My test file, the one that I transferred over via MMA 1.x and had art showing there, also had art showing up in MMA 2.x

Log ID is 35G8QTEYGQ, good luck

E:The AA for that album displayed properly after going back to MMA 1.x again
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

Hi,
I can see from your logs that e.g. artwork
file:///storage/8593-0FEC/Android/data/com.ventismedia.android.mediamonkey/files/artworks/7c/18/8fbb1693.jpg
can't be loaded due to DECODING_ERROR.
I am not able to replicate it, testing it also on Android 9 with sd-card, but all album-arts are accessible from same location also from MMA 2.0. Is the sd-card encrypted?
Can you zip this folder and attach it here?
I would like to test it with same album arts. Also please send new logs to provide fresh database and logs.
Thanks!
Zoroasterisk

Post by Zoroasterisk »

Hi Martin,

Thanks for looking into this. Unfortunately, when I look at that folder in my file explorer, it's empty. I've been culling my library of any albums that don't have art loaded, which could be why. Sorry about that. Let me know if there are any other folders that exhibited that issue and I can see if they're still there. I did send logs, 3T8UEFVR1U
hintergrundrauschen

Post by hintergrundrauschen »

After my latest sync MM5 / 2.0.0.1065 MMA2 (not much to sync, metadata and few files) a large part of my album art is missing in MMA2, I'd guess about 2/3 of my music albums/tracks (none of audiobooks, but there's only about 8 albums).
Everything was fine before. I checked via file explorer, the mp3-files all have their album art stored in the file. Sync setting in MM5 is (unchanged): store album art to tag.
Claude
hintergrundrauschen

BTW: a previous sync today went well. Syncing again, later (I added an album) I noticed in the sync dialogue that syncing metadata and playlists back to the server weren't ticked. I did that and proceeded. That was the sync after which the album art was missing.
Rescanning folders on the phone / MMA2 doesn't help.
Claude
Zoroasterisk

Post by Zoroasterisk »

hintergrundrauschen wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:57 pm BTW: a previous sync today went well. Syncing again, later (I added an album) I noticed in the sync dialogue that syncing metadata and playlists back to the server weren't ticked. I did that and proceeded. That was the sync after which the album art was missing.
Rescanning folders on the phone / MMA2 doesn't help.
On your phone, delete an album that is missing art. Then, re-scan. Once the scan is done, sync. That's usually works for me. If it works for that album, do the same thing for any other affected songs.
hintergrundrauschen

Zoroasterisk wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:03 pm On your phone, delete an album that is missing art. Then, re-scan. Once the scan is done, sync. That's usually works for me. If it works for that album, do the same thing for any other affected songs.
Thanks, I will try that to see if this helps.
Unfortunately, I got >1500 tracks in ~60 albums on my MMA2 device at the moment, so if this helps I would rather delete and resync all of them at once.
Claude
Zoroasterisk

Post by Zoroasterisk »

hintergrundrauschen wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:33 pm
Zoroasterisk wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:03 pm On your phone, delete an album that is missing art. Then, re-scan. Once the scan is done, sync. That's usually works for me. If it works for that album, do the same thing for any other affected songs.
Thanks, I will try that to see if this helps.
Unfortunately, I got >1500 tracks in ~60 albums on my MMA2 device at the moment, so if this helps I would rather delete and resync all of them at once.
Right, that's what I meant. It just doesn't make sense to go through all that if it's not going to work, hence why to just do the one test album first.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

I have the same problem. MMA doesn't show artwork after a few times synching.
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

I fixed an issue related to this in build 2.0.0.1067.
Let me know whether the issue still occurs in this new build.
Thanks.

EDIT (Rusty): build 1067 was released to the Play store Feb. 7, but is not yet available (Feb 8, 6:30pm EST). We expect that it should be approved soon...