Organizing files doesn't add cover arts to the DB

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

adar

Organizing files doesn't add cover arts to the DB

Post by adar »

Hi all,

I started using MM5 a few months ago, after almost 10 years with MM4, and I have a strange behavior/bug(?).

When I want to add new albums to the DB I put them in an external folder and run "organize files" on this folder. What it does is moving the files to the relevant folders, renaming them, and adding them to the DB. Everything seemed well until I noticed that the cover art (Folder.jpg file) location in the DB is not updated, so although it is moved to the new location, MM is still looking for it in the original (temporal) location, from which the album was copied.

I now have over 100 albums with cover art in the correct folder, but MM point to the wrong place.

1. Has anyone encountered a similar issue? Is this a bug in the organize files feature? This never happened in MM4. Is there a fix - either a bug fix or a configuration change?
2. I now have over 100 albums with unsynchronized DB. Is there a way to fix this in a batch, instead of manually?

Thanks in advance,
Adar.
Lowlander

Re: Organizing files doesn't add cover arts to the DB

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) are you experiencing this with?
adar

Post by adar »

5.0.4.2690 Gold
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you sure the problem was created by MediaMonkey 5.0.4 or could it have happened with older versions? If with 5.0.4, were the files in the MediaMonkey Library prior to Auto-Organize?

Scanning the files should pick up the correct Artwork. However you'll have to remove the missing Artwork entries manually. Music > Files to Edit > Unknown Artwork may help identify files needing fixing.
adar

Post by adar »

Thank you for the prompt replies.

This happens with the newest version, it just happened to me a couple of days ago. I'm not sure about older ones.

Maybe I misexplained what exactly happens.
I'm using Add/Rescan files to add new albums to MediaMonkey Library:
  • I have a folder, not connected to MediaMonkey, where I have created subfolders. In each of them, I place flac files + Folder.jpg of a separate new album that I ripped, or downloaded. I also make sure that the cover is already embedded in the flac files.
  • This folder is automatically (or manually) scanned by MediaMonkey every time it starts.
  • Everything is auto-organized beautifully to the correct place on my disk, including the cover file, and the subfolder is deleted.
  • When I look at the Artwork tab of the properties of the album files in MediaMonkey, I see one image that's stored in the tag, and one "supposedly" image, a gray thick circle, that points to the original position of the Folder.jpg in the no-longer-existing subfolder.
  • Looking at the album's new folder, I can locate the cover file in place, but MediaMonkey doesn't point to it.
I don't know how long it's been like this, but it wasn't like this in the past. In old albums, the cover is good.

The files have artwork, so no Unknown Artwork and no Inconsistent Artwork here.

I can manually make sure the album files point to the new location of the cover, but there are many albums, and I keep adding new ones, so I prefer to have a solution, or at least to understand what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you in advance,
Adar.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does this still happen with new Albums added in MediaMonkey 5.0.4?
adar

Post by adar »

It just happened today.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

The key point here appears to be that you have both embedded art in the tags and also a folder jpg separately.

I will test this later, see if I can reproduce
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
adar

Post by adar »

Thanks a lot.
I was not aware that it was not a good practice.
I've been doing it for years with no problem. I guess something has changed.

Adar.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

My tests confirm your issues.

When I auto-organize a set of tracks with artwork both embedded and linked, after organizing, it asks if I want to move the "associated files", which I chose yes. Having done this, I find BOTH the original path linked artwork showing blank icon, and the moved artwork newly linked.

I also found that when I created the temp folder containing the album tracks, and added a jpg file to it, with MM5 running and monitoring, it linked the jpg using its filename as copied. Then I renamed said jpg to folder.jpg, and it linked that renamed file, but also kept the link to the original filename, now showing as blank icon.

So, it appears the real issue or bug is that renaming a linked jpg does not remove the original link. This same thing happens with autoorganize, when the folder.jpg is copied the original link is not deleted.

So I think there is room for improvement in the way that this is handled.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks