System Tray Icon Vanishes [#19796]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Dryst

System Tray Icon Vanishes [#19796]

Post by Dryst »

Version 5.0.4.2690. I have noticed this with previous versions too.

After MMW5 has been running for hours, the system tray icon vanishes. This icon comes in handy when I am working in other desktops under Windows 10. I can instantly identify the currently playing music via mouse over.

The only way to restore the icon that I know of is close the application then restart it. The system tray icon will then again vanish after hours of play.
Lowlander

Re: System Tray Icon Vanishes

Post by Lowlander »

Does this only happen when using multiple desktops?
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

This happens 100% of the time. The task bar icons are a feature of Windows 10 shared at the system level. It happens regardless of using multiple desktops that is a different feature of Windows 10.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

MMW5 was running for hours today, and the task bar icon is missing:

I just closed the application then restarted it. Now the task bar icon is showing, but it will vanish again after several hours:

I have this icon set within task bar settings to always display. It is never hidden.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I've not seen this even after days of running (but set to always hide), it's not in the overflow when it fails to show?
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

No. It does not go to overflow. As I stated, it is set to always show.

There are two entries showing for it under TaskBar settings though. Two entries with two different songs playing.

This is the only application I have installed that behaves this way. It's something related to MMW5 code.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Do you have it "pinned" - ie it displays even when program is closed? (right-click, pin to taskbar)

I do that, as I use it frequently, and it has not gone away and hidden from me that I know of.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

I do not have it set to display when the program is closed. I would prefer not to set it to behave this way. My expectation is that when it is running the task bar icon shows. When it is closed I do not want it to show.

I may not know what is meant by "pinned." Here are my settings:

Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:40 pm I've not seen this even after days of running (but set to always hide), it's not in the overflow when it fails to show?
I think I know why it is happening and how you can reproduce this issue. If Windows explorer ever faces an issue while running, it will automatically restart. The issue appears to be that MMW5 does not have a process that invokes the task bar icon. It may be a startup task only. When explorer automatically recovers the task bar icon for MMW5, it never again relaunches.

You can reproduce this by launching Task Manager and ending the task for explorer.exe. After it is ended you will see that there is no task bar at all. With Task Manager still running, click File|Run new task on its menu. Enter "explorer.exe" for the run dialog that appears next. You will find that the explorer task bar reloads along with all task bar icons EXCEPT for MMW5. This is the cause of the issue. MMW5 should also have its task bar icon reloaded while it is currently running, but it does not. Hence the issue.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »