MM5 is unstable, unusable - libcef.dll error

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

demopilot208

MM5 is unstable, unusable - libcef.dll error

Post by demopilot208 »

MM5 is very unstable and crashes constantly with .dll errors on Windows 10 & 11. Contrary, the previous builds (including MM4) were very solid, and rarely did I have any issues operating the software on both of my Windows 10 and 11 builds. MM5, however, crashes often within minutes of startup and during simple use (clicking on songs, dragging into a playlist, to searching for a track via the search bar). I write this post after what have been hundreds of crashes endured, dozens of e-mails sent through the beta build, and now a total lack of trust in the MM5 software that today I have just about decided to abandon using it.

Typing/key-entry in MM5 is slow. Normal usage seems sluggish, though MM4 was fast, sharp, and without hesitation. My playlist is only 3500 well-curated files, so I don't think it's the size of my library. MM5 constantly freezes up and throws a libcef.dll error. It took me less than 4 minutes to generate one and have the software crash while I make this post, mostly from just clicking around and listing to various songs and searching via search. I'm baffled at how quickly I can break it.

"Application throw an exception Exception EExternalException
in module libcef.dll at 02E3D99C.
External exception 80000003."

Reinstalling doesn't help. Different PCs don't help (one with Windows 10, one with Windows 11) - they both crash constantly with use and these .dll errors A close friend of mine also uses MM, and agrees MM5 is simply unacceptable for any of his builds/work both personal and professional, so he reverted back to MM4.

I love MediaMonkey5 for its functionality and having waveforms on the scrub/playing bar on the bottom is so incredibly helpful. I used to boast about how amazing MediaMonkey was to everyone I know, but at this point, I can't trust to use it as my primary library manager anymore.

Am I doing something wrong? I feel as if I am considering how snappy and reliable MM4 was.
Peke

Re: MM5 is unstable, unusable - libcef.dll error

Post by Peke »

Hi,
LIBCEF.DLL issues are often tied to GPU driver incompatibility as it is crash in Chromium UI engine not MM itself, but to be 100% sure make sure you are using latest debug build from http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 86639&sd=d and once MM crashes write down here a LOG ID.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
demopilot208

Post by demopilot208 »

Hi there. Sorry, I can't seem to find a LOG ID. I tried to upload a screenshot to this reply, but the permissions don't allow it.
I simply clicked on send log and input information to recreate the error, which was "dragging a track into a playlist". This was on the debug built as mentioned.
External exception E0000008

Code: E0000008 (?)
Address: (028F0FEC){libcef.dll } [12620FEC] + $0

Copy to Clipboard (2E930000)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please open support ticket https://www.mediamonkey.com/support where we do more direct approach.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts