Mp3tag issues w/ assoc trk# to title/fn

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

MMFrLife

Mp3tag issues w/ assoc trk# to title/fn

Post by MMFrLife »

If you have a list of songs in alpha only, in both the title and filename columns,
with track# field empty:

Track list #1:

Alien Passion
Can't Get Enough of Your Love
It's Always Something
Oh those Beautiful Mountains
Racing to the edge of the World
Rock til You Drop
Shock Wave 3000

Music Brainz comes back and shows the track order as,

Track List #2

TRKF / TITLF
1/7 Oh those Beautiful Mountains
2/7 Shockwave 3000
3/7 Can't Get Enough of Your Love
4/7 Alien Passion
5/7 Rock til You Drop
6/7 It's Always Something
7/7 Racing to the edge of the World

However, when you continue through the process, all it does is copy that order
to the column specified. So, if it is to the Title, it looks like the list just above (track list #2).
But, the Filename continues to look like the list at the top of post (track list #1).

It doesn't match the 'proper' track number to the 'proper' track. The only one that
remains correct is list #1 (filenames) at the top, as those are the right titles associated
to the right tracks. If I play them after list #2 result, I am playing tracks with the wrong titles.

The alpha title list should become, w/ numbers and titles in separate fields, like this:

Track List #3

4/7 Alien Passion
3/7 Can't Get Enough of Your Love
6/7 It's Always Something
1/7 Oh those Beautiful Mountains
7/7 Racing to the edge of the World
5/7 Rock til You Drop
2/7 Shockwave 3000

...then click on the column header to straighten it out.

Can Mp3tag not do this, or do the tracks have to be ordered manually in the
title or filename fields first, which you can't seem to do this either in Mp3tag?
Last edited by MMFrLife on Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
๐Ÿ˜œ
Peke

Re: Mp3tag issues w/ assoc trk# to title/fn

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I hope I got you right. Here is what I tested:
1. Went to Album
2. Selected all tracks
3. Removed Track# from all track in Album
4. MM sorts by title
5. Selected all tracks
6. Right click -> Auto Tag
7. Saved Tags
8. Tracks in Album are not sorted by Track #
9. Changed to List view and made sure that sort is DISK#+TRACK#+Title
10. Repeated steps from 2-8 and got same result.

Have I missed something?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Thanks Peke, but it sounds like you are talking about inside MM. I'm
talking about the program called 'Mp3tag'. Can you just confirm which program before I think about
your post any further.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
๐Ÿ˜œ
Peke

Post by Peke »

MMFrLife wrote: โ†‘Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:10 pm Thanks Peke, but it sounds like you are talking about inside MM. I'm
talking about the program called 'Mp3tag'. Can you just confirm which program before I think about
your post any further.
You are right, I do not use MP3Tag I am talking about MM. I wanted to be 100% sure that what I wrote for MM you want to archive?
I have done brief Look (5-15 minutes) and have not seen much (I know how new MM users feel when open MM for first time or after years and years of not even opening it) I have not seen any auto refresh nor Multi sort options, tried few times and went back to home turf at MM.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

I'm not trying top leave MM4, but MM doesn't seem to do what I want in this case.

When I've tried MM auto-tag in the past it was fair but tied to Amazon, which no longer
works that way.

I tried music brainz tagger addon, but that doesn't work in MM4 (I see it installed,
but nowhere to be found on interface or options ... no longer developed?).

So, the other option is DiscogsTagger. I'm sure it is wonderful, but I have avoided it
over the years because it is restricted to Edge/IE.

So, only alternative, if I don't like that, is to use third-party.

Is DiscogsTagger the only 'auto-tag from web' option in MM for this kind of lookup?
Last edited by MMFrLife on Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
๐Ÿ˜œ
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

MMFrLife wrote:Is DiscogsTagger the only 'auto-tag from web' option in MM for this kind of lookup?
Can someone confirm or deny if this is the case.

Also, if you are interested in the issue, and already read through it, please re-read the op. I added some clarification
that could be helpful.
๐Ÿ˜œ
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In MediaMonkey 4 it is DiscogsTagger as it has no build in method anymore, in MediaMonkey 5 the build in Auto-Tag uses MusicBrainz.

It sounds that the problem is that the Track Number ended up in the Title. This generally shouldn't be the case (I see this rarely on MMW5, in which case you can quickly edit the files to fix. Then you can sort on Title or Album (or Track#) depending on the desired sort results.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Thanks Lowlander!
Lowlander wrote:t sounds that the problem is that the Track Number ended up in the Title. This generally shouldn't be the
case (I see this rarely on MMW5, in which case you can quickly edit the files to fix. Then you can sort on
Title or Album (or Track#) depending on the desired sort results.

None of this happens in MM. It all takes place by loading tracks into Mp3tag > brings up the info
for artist/album/tracks > I look to see if order MusicBrainz provides is correct > confirm > it copies to
track titles field/track numbers field inside Mp3tag. It doesn't copy the track numbers to title or filename.

When I confirm the track numbers and proper titles associated to those numbers, it just
overwrites the titles (Musicbrainz correct title order) on top of the alpha order with its correct track
numbers in the track field. This results in the tracks themselves having the wrong titles, and even though
the track numbers are also correct for those titles, they are also incorrect for the tracks themselves.

It doesn't seem to know how to, for example, find track #1's title in the alpha order and apply its correct track
number to that title in the alpha order's corresponding track number field.

But it also has Discogs as a source. I will try that next and see.
Lowlander wrote:in MediaMonkey 5 the build in Auto-Tag uses MusicBrainz
Hmmm...ok...that may be what I'll have to do for situations like these.
At least, it'll be something I can use MM5 for, until the ability to customize the views gets better.....

.....and if a certain couple of addons make their way on over to the 5. :wink:
๐Ÿ˜œ