Cosmetics on Properties pop-up

To discuss development of addons / skins / customization of MediaMonkey.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

momhencluck
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:08 pm

Cosmetics on Properties pop-up

Post by momhencluck »

I admit to being overly picky.
Is there ANY way to make the Properties pop-up screen internally sizeable?
[Classic Win10 desktop & basic monitor size]

While the overall size of the properties screen IS adjustable, the left column size ONLY changes in the Monkey Groove skin, and then only marginally. This leaves the Genre and Lyricist fields either stuck in a tiny space on a normal size property pop-up (and in the other two skins), or stretches the pop-up in Monkey Groove over the face of the screen. [Yes, I have complex genre fields.]

OR -- is there a particular non-standard skin which provides this flexibility?

T-I-A
-MomHen
jiri
Posts: 5419
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: Cosmetics on Properties pop-up

Post by jiri »

This is currently divided as 70% for the left column.

Due to the open nature of MM, it could be modified, e.g. by an addon (or a custom skin). Would be enough to modify the '<td width="70%"...' part.

Jiri
Barry4679
Posts: 2439
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:07 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Cosmetics on Properties pop-up

Post by Barry4679 »

Addressing your other comments:
momhencluck wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:30 pm While the overall size of the properties screen IS adjustable, the left column size ONLY changes in the Monkey Groove skin, and then only marginally. This leaves the Genre and Lyricist fields either stuck in a tiny space on a normal size property pop-up (and in the other two skins), or stretches the pop-up in Monkey Groove over the face of the screen. [Yes, I have complex genre fields.]
I am unable to replicate what you are reporting. All skins react the same, ie. as the Track Properties panel is stretched, the extra width is allocated as Jiri described, 70% to the 1st, column, and the remaining 30% to the second column, which contains the Genre tag.

In the early versions of MM5, the track Properties popup panel had fixed dimensions, ie. it could not be stretched.
You may have an early version after that was fixed, which may have had problems during stretching and new width allocation.
You could try to install a new version.



It would have been better if that had put a splitter between those two columns, which you could slide left or right, to allocate column width yourself, rather than presuming that a 70:30 split was going to work in all cases. .. That would be a good enhancement that could be considered?

I can see the difficulty that the current implication causes people with long tags. It especially sucks when using a drop down list, because you can't properly see what you are selecting.

There a couple of places where you can edit full width genre tags. These may be workarounds if you don't hack the skin, as suggested by Jiri.

The 1st is in the main panel when you are using one of the List Views.
You can expand the Genre column to what you need. If you click a cell twice slowly, the cell becomes editable.

Or you could use the Selected Panel. Change the Layout to Advanced. Click the gear to add the Genre tag, or Songwriter, or whatever. Then use the 3 dot menu to "allow edits" . The Selected panel doesn't have the same fixed width allocation rules as the Track Properties panel, but it doesn't offer the dropdown list support, which is disappointing. So the 1st suggestion is probably your best workaround.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Post Reply