MM5 DISPLAY PROBLEM

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

ifishnc

MM5 DISPLAY PROBLEM

Post by ifishnc »

I have been using MM5 installed on an older Lenovo laptop connected to my TV and sound system for years. The music files are stored and updated on an external hard drive connected to the laptop. The setup has worked flawlessly. I can see MM5 on my big screen an select music from my chair, listen via surround and even display visualizations.
YESYERDAY EVERYTHING WENT HAYWIRE!
When I open MM5 on the Lenovo it opens but everything is distorted. There are no gold and black colors. The icons for play and stop are not visible. I can't see the search tab. It's like looking at a GENERIC MM5. I have downloaded the latest version and installed it but it made no difference. I tried to change the theme to Classic plus the other options and no change.
I am at a loss as to what to do to recover. The only thing I can think of is that a Windows update has caused an issue. The laptop is running Windows 10. Microsoft is doing everything it can to force us to 11 including buying a new laptop capable of running it. Which I did by the way! $1200!
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I don't know how to post a picture of the screen so if anybody can help it would be great.
Lowlander

Re: MM5 DISPLAY PROBLEM

Post by Lowlander »

Please rename persistent.json to persistent.json.old, then start MediaMonkey. Does that help resolve things (it should return to defaults)?
ifishnc

Post by ifishnc »

Lowlander:
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me where to find persistent.json? I am not a computer person so I need some help. I opened Notepad and did a search on the entire MM5 file in Programs (86). No results for persistent.
Should I be looking somewhere else?
Sorry for being so dumb but I am just a happy user of MM5 and not a programmer.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Path is provided in the link above. You should be able to paste %APPDATA%\MediaMonkey5\ into the address bar in File Explorer.
ifishnc

Re: MM5 DISPLAY PROBLEM More Help

Post by ifishnc »

I have finally figured out (I think) why my MM5 display got so messed up.. Turns out that the latest update pushed my old Lenovo Thinkpad over the top. So I have been trying to rollback the version to one that works. The Lenovo has had a working version for some time, but I don't know which one. So I have been installing every older version I could find - of MM5. So far, I have not been successful.
I did install a version of MM4 that did work but I am missing some of functionality of MM5. My question is this- What version of MM5 would be most likely to work on an older laptop and where can I download it.
Thanks for any help.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you rename persistent.json as suggested above?
ifishnc

Post by ifishnc »

Lowlander:
Yes I did change the appdata as you suggested. It didn't work.
However, something amazing happened yesterday. The computer miraculously recovered the MM5 display as it was before the crash. I have no idea how it happened. Must be the Windows gods. I must point out that the appdata has NOT been changed to "json.old". Who Knows.
Anyway, I doubt if it stays fixed so don't be surprised if I'm back.
I would like to thank you for your help. I have learned a lot about MM5 in the last week or 2. I even figured out how to download and install addons and scripts not to mention %appdata%. I even was able to uninstall and reinstall MM5. I now know what a skin is and where to get them.
APPRECIATE YOUR HELP
Jim48T

Post by Jim48T »

"Must be the Windows gods"
But "windows does not have "Gods." They do have devils, demons and even lesser demons, however.
Maybe a demon actually regretted his/her actions.