Kill me now, love me later..... I like WMP 11 Beta 2!

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Sebastian78

Kill me now, love me later..... I like WMP 11 Beta 2!

Post by Sebastian78 »

I THINK I actually LIKE the new Media Player and the interface they use in the "Library" view......I don't know what to do, I feel like I'm unfaithful.
Sebastian78

WHOOOOAAaA

Post by Sebastian78 »

Whoa, THIS IS AMAZING......WMP 11 Beta 1 has ALL the thing I was looking for. The "Album Art" browsing is FRIGGIN' AMAZING. Sorting albums by decade is AWSOME...

Sorry......If it works and there are few or none bugs...... I'm not using the "excisting" MM anymore.....

Sorry guy's, but keep up the good work, I migh use your new player...

(.........and I used to really REALLY HATE Media Player....)
Anubis

Post by Anubis »

bye... have a good time...

see you in 6 months...

:D
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

If it floats, and keeps you dry, it's probably a boat...
unless it was designed by Microsoft!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The album browse interface looks promising. Many wish to see something like that in MediaMonkey and so do I.

I do have doubts about how well this type of interface works on large libraries (10.000+) and libraries with music located on the network (network shares/NAS) or even USB drives.

If I feel like it I might run a test this weekend and hope that it doesn't modify anything :wink: .
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I tried it with some local songs and the interface is fast. Even better it recognizes MediaMonkey's ratings. It does make a mess of album art and some other tags, but those might be beta bugs.

The way songs are displayed is probably more intuitive for most users as it organizes it well by album. Of course if MediaMonkey would implement this the current simple list views should remain available. List views are better for editing tags whereas album views would be better for browsing and playing music.
Hooah

Post by Hooah »

This is what I want the most out of MM. That and MM to be able to pick the correct album art (I have a 'folder.jpg' in every folder and MM sometimes won't pick this file but another image).

Can't wait for MM to implement a great album art viewer.
wokou
Sebastian78

What a wonderful world...

Post by Sebastian78 »

I have now been playing with WMP 11 Beta 2 for a couple of hours and I can't believe how well it works for ME. This is what I want and what I have posted a couple of times on the forum.

I have a 20.000+ library and MM was not intuetive enough. I'm a "visual person" and everything in my life is sort of organized based on how I percieve the visual elements around me.

BUGS:

- Hickups in "Add Too Library" functions. Everything crashes again and again in no apparent order. Sometimes after 2 minutes of scanning, sometimes agter 10-15 min. No special song, no special folder makes it crash. But after 10 re-scans I have all my records in the library.

- Messes up some album art, can't find others...
- It also puts the album art on the folders in Exlorer and SOME times, it pics wrong ones and you can't "delete" them. Only way to remove is to make a new folder and move the files and delete the old folder

Everything else I LOVE......................

(oh, BTW I still hate MS.....they force you to use THEIR stuff, but restrictions on use and whats to control you pc. HAte it, HATE it.....but I think they are starting to listen to us...)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So basically WMP doesn't work well for you either. You only like the way you can navigate your music which is very nice. I would advice you to try MediaMonkey with the Browse by Art script which can be found in the Scripts and Components forum. As it is a script it's probably a lot slower than the WMP implementation, but you get all the other goodies MediaMonkey has to offer.

And keep your thumbs crossed for MediaMonkey 3.0 and we might all be happily surprised.
Hooah

Post by Hooah »

The Browse by Art script is great but it is slow. But it is better then nothing and probably isn't that bad if you don't hoard music like me.
wokou
Sebastian78

Post by Sebastian78 »

Basically, the GUI of MM SUCKS BIG TIME.....everything else, works like a charm. (BrowseByArt still doesn't work good enough to work....)

I'm harsh here, but MM looks like it's from the 1990's, WMP looks like it's from the future.......
Hooah

Post by Hooah »

Sebastian78 wrote:Basically, the GUI of MM SUCKS BIG TIME.....everything else, works like a charm. (BrowseByArt still doesn't work good enough to work....)

I'm harsh here, but MM looks like it's from the 1990's, WMP looks like it's from the future.......
I bet MM is going to integrate an album art view in 3.0. Besides that MM is great, cause we all know, looks ain't everything. But if you look there are some nice skins.
wokou
sasapuksic

Post by sasapuksic »

Sebastian78 wrote:Basically, the GUI of MM SUCKS BIG TIME.....everything else, works like a charm. (BrowseByArt still doesn't work good enough to work....)

If you would be serious music collector you wouldn’t write such a crap …. MM is the greatest music organizer + player I have ever used!! Its fast, it’s totally customizable, it has the greatest community on the planet, and it’s compatible with winamp plug-ins ….. it works. And that’s what important for me.

Album art view …. I don’t get you guys what you all see In that. For me that’s just a waste of time, sorry.
Hooah

Post by Hooah »

sasapuksic wrote:

If you would be serious music collector you wouldn’t write such a crap …. MM is the greatest music organizer + player I have ever used!! Its fast, it’s totally customizable, it has the greatest community on the planet, and it’s compatible with winamp plug-ins ….. it works. And that’s what important for me.

Album art view …. I don’t get you guys what you all see In that. For me that’s just a waste of time, sorry.
Album Art is the other part of the album that digital music has neglected for years. Finally people are starting to tag their music with high quality covers. I can scan my collection quicker via album art. When you are dealing with thousands of albums, it becomes exhausting reading all the text. It is so much better to scroll through looking at art.

I just want a view like this that doesn't bog my system down. Explorer works great and is quick, I just put them as folder.jpg in the folder. For some reason, MM picks files with the word 'cover' over the 'folder.jpg' as the primary album art.

Example:
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/8708/albumartky6.jpg
Last edited by Hooah on Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
wokou
junglemonkey

Post by junglemonkey »

i did not like album art before either as it tends to eat up ram i need.

but since i started to test the feature i got hooked on it.

only i don't use each cover for each album by the one artist, i do have a few like that about 7 albums i use the real cover on.

but most the albums are using one cover for the artist and it is either one of their real greatest hits covers, or one of the artist generic covers or one of the genere generic covers i made. so no matter what song the album was released on i got the same image for that artist.

i do so agree though with the need for good quality images. there are so many bad ones online for the albums it is pittiful.

which is why i started making my own or fixing the ones i could find from online.

check my message in the art work forum room if you want to get an idea of who i have covers for on my site,

roving cowboy / junglemonkey / keith hall
:D