Recomend a NAS for me!!!!

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Sebastian78

Recomend a NAS for me!!!!

Post by Sebastian78 »

So I want to get rid of my external HDD and get a NAS to share over my WiFi. Do any of you have any recomendations?

I've been looking at :

Maxtor Shared Storage II 500/1000 MB (Spindown DOES not work)
Synology DJ-106e (W/Samsung SpinPoint 500MB)
DLink DNS-323 2-bay NAS m/ printserver, backup, UPnP AV

Any thoughts?

(Basically want to share my 150GB of songs over wifi, which will let me move my laptop around the house and not drag with me the external HDD)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I personally chose the Synology because of the extras: webserver, FTP server, download manager, etc.
Kos

Think about the server!

Post by Kos »

My setup is shown below. One VERY, VERY important thing to have in mind is the NAS' ability to run Twonky, the only super media server out there (firefly is the only other option but it's too nerdy for me!).

The embedded ones stink (primary Mediabolic). Check out www.twonkyvision.de to see which NAS' are known to work with Twonky - scroll: http://www.twonkymedia.de/Download/Twon ... index.html

My MSS+ is only available on eBay now - the new Maxtor NAS (MSSII) has not yet been cracked by the geeks on www.openmss.org meaning it is not yet Twonky ready. But they are closing in!

Kos

PS: The QNAP TS101 (and 201) NAS actually has Twonky embedded and it's capable of running the Slimserver (so audiophiles, meaning Squeezebox users, should look that way!)
Last edited by Kos on Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Setup: Sonos, Twonky, Qnap, MediaMonkey Lifetime
Sebastian78

Post by Sebastian78 »

Twonky?

Never heard of it before......why do we need to replace thr embeded UPnP server in any device? Why do you need a server to share your music anyways? An NAS will still appear in you MM "Artist" or "Album" folder...
Kos

Streaming

Post by Kos »

Without a media server you can't stream your music wirelessly (I stream to my stereo via Philips SLA5520) - and the embedded ones stink. MM has no server - yet! WMP11 has one - just if you want to try it!

Apparently I misunderstood you - I thought you were after that possibility because with a NAS and a server on it you can listen to all your music without having the PC turned on...

Anyway - Twonky is very superiour to other media servers because of speed, RAM effenciency and the ability to design your own "streaming structure." Learn more on www.twonkyvision.de if it interests you. (TVersity only works on PC's).

Kos
Last edited by Kos on Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
m_bojangles

Post by m_bojangles »

I'm saving up for this ReadyNAS from Infrant. http://infrant.com/products/products_de ... dyNAS%20X6
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I like my Ximeta's, they just serve as NAS without any other features. But in many test it comes out as one of the fastest available. And even better if you buy just the case you can save a lot of money ($70 for the case and $340 for a 750GB HDD).

I am waiting for the next generation drives which will be SATA with Gigabit and it also seems that they will launch some media type devices.

Netgear also has a cheap enclosure and they just announced their Gigabit version (the 100Mb version doesn't get reviewed very well).

Buffalo is interesting due to the many options available. They have up to 2 terrabyte devices and also hardware players that can run off them. Do take care selecting the right product for you.

Another option is LaCie which normally get's good reviews but does have a premium in price for design.

You can also choose to build your own NAS with Linux like FreeNAS

Post by Guest »

Look, to tell you the truth, I have had nothing but problems with my NAS & Mediamonkey. To the point where I am almost sadly consdiering giving up Mediamonkey. Winamp, Itunes others have no problem at all, but monkey is just a constant headache.

I would consider my options very careflly when getting an NAS
radiocaroline

Post by radiocaroline »

I'm also looking for a NAS-device, which should have any UPNP-Server integrated (Twonky prefered) and have a wake-on-LAN-feature to save energy. Still I am not successful in finding this!
Kos

NAS

Post by Kos »

I am VERY happy with my NAS (Maxtor Shared Storage Plus) setup. Ok, the MM Gold file monitor feature isn't working (so I have to manually do a rescan once in a while) but that's all.

The QNAP TS101 (and 201) NAS has Twonky embedded. Don't know about the LAN thing. Go to the very capable Twonky forum and you will get answers right away: http://www.twonkyvision.de/forum/index.php

Twonky rules.

Kos
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I recently stumbled on the SmallNetBuilder website which has nice reviews.

As for the FileMonitor this only works if some advice is given (by Windows) that files have changed. This advice updates the MediaMonkey DB. Most NAS's don't give this advice MediaMonkey can't auto update (otherwise it would need to scan your drive continuously which is not a good thing either).
Guest wrote:Look, to tell you the truth, I have had nothing but problems with my NAS & Mediamonkey. To the point where I am almost sadly consdiering giving up Mediamonkey. Winamp, Itunes others have no problem at all, but monkey is just a constant headache.
What issues do you have?
dahphatman

Post by dahphatman »

I have been using using two Synology NAS, one as fileserver, one for backup, for the past 12 months and I am very happy with them.

One caveat: I do not know how this works with other NAS - The Synology supports FAT32 and a proprietary file system, it does not support NTFS - This is an issue if you have files >4GB as these can not be stored on FAT32, so you have to use the proprietary format. The downside of using that is that you can not just take out the harddisk or a and stick it in your desktop in case the Synology should ever die on you, you would have to find another Synology NAS to save the data.
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

I tested some Synology NAS, also the DS-106e, for the computer magazin I work for and they worked great. Although I didn't test it with MediaMonkey.

Big_Berny
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Ximeta drives do support NFTS.
Tylast

Post by Tylast »