Running Windows on a Mac (and therefore, mediamonkey)

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

DaledeSilva

Running Windows on a Mac (and therefore, mediamonkey)

Post by DaledeSilva »

Hello.. I'm thinking about buying a MacBook so I don't have to be stuck in my room all day (I work from home)..

anyway, was looking at this:
http://lifehacker.com/software/parallel ... 221002.php
which looked good

but then I saw this:
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/
which looks heaps better (you don't even need a copy of windows - goodbye Microsoft!)

only problem is, the second, better, link seams like it might not work with alot of programs and might only work with the ones specified in this list:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/rank/

does anyone know whether mediamonkey would work?

Dale.
Product Designer & Indie Developer.
Building at the intersection of motion, art, and code.
Find me on twitter and all the other ones here.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I assume that MediaMonkey will probably not work due to OBDC it needs. It is possible that MediaMonkey 3.0 will run under Wine and the like as it will use a different database connection.
Kurt4949

Post by Kurt4949 »

Have you tried Vista? I've had it for a week and like it a lot. And if you have a chance to try Office 2007, it's amazing.
TxOcelot

Macbook + Parallel = Mediamonkey bliss

Post by TxOcelot »

Been running MM on my macbook since the day after I got my macbook last year, and haven't had any problems at all. You'll want as much ram as possible, to prevent having any real feel of slowdown, since you'll be running it on a VM. But over all it runs smooth, have it on my dock and run it in its own window beside my other OSX programs.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

that sounds good.. are you using parallels or crossover?? or something else?
Grumps

MM on Intel Mac

Post by Grumps »

Hi Dale
Have you had any luck with running MM on your Macbook? I too am wanting to run MM on my Macbook without using Bootcamp or Parallels - trying to escape MS, including Vista. I had just found out about Crossover but saw your post before investigating. It would have been helpful if TX had replied to you but perhaps he will or someone else has experience of what we wish to do.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

I haven't actually got a macbook yet... so I can't help you...

except that tx mentions:
since you'll be running it on a VM
so I would guess it's parallels?
but I could be wrong...

I'll PM him and see if I can get him to reply

Dale.
TxOcelot

Using parallels and MM

Post by TxOcelot »

I'm using parallels on my Macbook, with 2gig ram. I'm very happy with both. Parallel also allows me to play with some of my old linux distros as well as new ones. I stripped as much off xp as I could so it only runs the basics, and I've read of and thought about some of the 'other' versions of xp which are really small.

I've been watching other options as well though, cross-over is starting to look interesting, but I'm not sold yet, at least not enough to lay out cash on something I'm not finding enough about yet.

MM runs just fine with parallel, even when I only had 1gig ram. And while I don't use the player much, the MM superior file management and organization is well enjoyed.

TX
Grumps

Post by Grumps »

Thanks for feedback TX.
Sorry I did not pick it up earlier but I 've not been on the Forum for a while.
I have a macbook with 2gig too but at present using my desktop PC mostly.
Am waiting for Leopard to be released then I plan to fully migrate to Mac. I would like to avoid using Windows - one main reason for migrating - hence my search for alternative ways of holding on to FLAC and MM with a Mac.

Best regards
G
Cotton

Post by Cotton »

I'm getting my shiny new Macbook Pro on Tuesday (I hope) and will be installing XP under Parallels, primarily so I can keep using Media Monkey.

My only real concern is that Creative's drivers won't synch with my ZV:M properly.

Has anyone synched a ZV:M using Media Monkey under Parallels yet?
gab

Post by gab »

Cotton - If it's not too much trouble, it would be useful if you would let us know how things go using MM within a Parallels VM. I'm thinking of switching to Apple as well because of Parallels and would be very interested in your experience.
Blake

Post by Blake »

Instead of running windows on a mac, you could run mac on a pc.

You can do that using PearPC.

I haven't tried it yet but will be in a couple of days. If you do a google on PearPC then you will get plenty of results on how to do it.

Good Luck
:D
tarasis

Post by tarasis »

gab wrote:Cotton - If it's not too much trouble, it would be useful if you would let us know how things go using MM within a Parallels VM. I'm thinking of switching to Apple as well because of Parallels and would be very interested in your experience.
I found it to work well but I don@t do it very often as my Macbook only has a gig of ram so running Parallels can get a bit much.