Running MM on external

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Hooah

Running MM on external

Post by Hooah »

I have all my music on an external hdd. My question is can I run MM on it and contain it's database that is usually kept in "my documents/my music/mediamonkey" folder. I could not find an option in MM to choose the location of the database.
wokou
Blake

Post by Blake »

I know that there is a script to do this but I'm not sure where you would find it...
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Move the MediaMonkey.ini file from your My Documents to the application directory of MediaMonkey. Then add an entry "DBName=..." which points to wherever you've put your MediaMonkey.mdb. Then you can run everything from an external drive (like I do!).
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Bex

Post by Bex »

Yes, it's described in the FAQ and read me plus in several threads...
(No script is necessary)
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
Blake

Post by Blake »

Oh, i see
mattiasNYC

Post by mattiasNYC »

Just curious,

what's the benefit of doing this?

(not asking to provoke, just trying to understand more about the software)
Hooah

Post by Hooah »

Since I run off an external drive, I would like to use the same MM databasee for my laptop, desktop, friends desktop, work, etc. That way your play count is accurate and you don't have to update seperate databases.
wokou
Hooah

Post by Hooah »

trixmoto wrote:Move the MediaMonkey.ini file from your My Documents to the application directory of MediaMonkey. Then add an entry "DBName=..." which points to wherever you've put your MediaMonkey.mdb. Then you can run everything from an external drive (like I do!).
Where exactly in the ini file do I add this?

So I would add an entry with quotes or without quotes like:
DBName=C:/Music/Program/MediaMonkey/MediaMonkey.mdb
or
DBName="C:/Music/Program/MediaMonkey/MediaMonkey.mdb"

I also found two mediamonkey.mdb files.
C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.mdb 688KB

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\My Music\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.mdb 101MB

I am thinking it is the larger one but I want to make sure.

Nevermind, found all the info in the FAQ.
MediaMonkey allows you to change the database's location by editing the MediaMonkey .ini file. This file saves configuration information on a per-user basis at: C:/Documents and Settings/USERX/My Documents/My Music/MediaMonkey/MediaMonkey.ini

To change the location:
Close MediaMonkey (so that it doesn't overwrite any of the changes)
Back up the .ini file
Move the database from a user's My Documents/My Music/MediaMonkey/MediaMonkey.mdb
location to a new location
Add the following line to the [System] section of the .ini file: DBName=full pathfilename.mdb (for example DBName=C:My DocumentsDatabasesmusic.mdb)
Restart MediaMonkey
wokou