Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

booger8

confirmation screen?

Post by booger8 »

I have verified that I have version 2.2 of this script. However, when I select tracks and go to the Scripts menu and select 'Genre Finder', it goes out and finds genres but there is no confirmation screen. Also, looking at the vbs file, there should be a toolbar button appearing on the Standard toolbar, but it is not showing up for me. The script is in my Auto folder so I am not sure that the problem is.

booger
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Go to "Tools, Options, Library, GenreFinder Settings" and make sure you have both checkboxes ticked.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
booger8

Post by booger8 »

Got it!

thanks,
booger
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

New version (2.3) is now available to download from my website. Changes include...

- Added option to specify minimum percentage match
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
cadmanmeg

Post by cadmanmeg »

How can you confirm that this script is actually doing something? I like the idea, but have no clue as to whether it is being accurate or not. I mean, if I have an artist like Gordan Lightfoot and a song of Early Morning Rain and previously, the genre was "folk" and then I run the script and it does not change, what am I to do to figure out why? Am also curious how subjective the genre is? I mean, one could call Michael Jackson Pop while another call his music Soft Rock. Thanks much.
cadmanmeg

Post by cadmanmeg »

Also want to add that everything I have tried it on so far have come back with a confirmation of "no suggested changes". Could I be doing something wrong? Not sure what as it seems pretty staight forward but just find it strange I keep getting the same results.

Am also curious as to how it works with multiple files? What about multiple files at one time from various artist?

Thanks much.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

The easiest way to see what's changing is to enable the confirmation screen, or increase the debug log level and check out the logfile. In fact setting the log level higher is a good idea because it will tell you why suggestions were discarded. It could be that you've set a white/black list which is meaning that most of the Last.Fm suggestions are being discarded.

It works with multiple files by queuing them, depending on what mode you are in...

Track mode - each track is queried, one at a time, and that track is updated.

Artist mode - each artist is queried, one at a time, and all tracks by that artist are updated.

Album mode - each track in the album is queried, one at a time, until there is an agreement, and then all tracks in that album are updated.

Hope this clears things up! :)
tom_s

more than one tag?

Post by tom_s »

Great script, works really well. However I'd love it if it could be extended to get more than just one tag per song.

What i'd like to be able to do is get X number of tags and write them all to one of the comments fields with spaces between them. That way i'd be able to use MM (at least a little) like last.fm and use those values to search for songs. (eg: like last.fm or delicious tagging).

Personally I've always found the id3 implementation of genres to be really annoying, and I'd much rather be able to tag all my songs with multiple tags like i can on last.fm.

I'm sure i'd get some rubbish tags, but it'd be fun to at least try it. (and if i write them all to an unused field like comment3 then i don't really have anything to lose.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Sounds like an interesting idea, I'll see what I can do. :)
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Any chance to add the 'auto-search on play if no tag' option, similar to google/batch art finders?

I'd like to have this ran for the current track automatically if it does not have the selected tag (in the options) populated, with the confirmation being optional. (I don't need confirmation to change mood etc, but may want confirmation to set the actual genre if I have that as one of the fields)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I'm not sure about how well this will work in practice, but I like the idea so I'll give it a go! :)
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

another idea, not sure if its possible but would be cool if so..

instead of restricting to a specific 'white list' of genre's, would it be possible to restrict to only genre's I already have assigned for other files.

For example, I have most of my library distilled down to 20 base genres. Instead of adding each of those to a white list, it would be nifty just to restrict automatically to those genre's which I've already used.

Meaning, simply use existing genre's, do not add any new ones.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

This is a nice idea. Are you thinking of a button which would automatically create the whitelist for you, or an option to have a dynamic whitelist based on whatever tags are present when the script is run?
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

trixmoto wrote:an option to have a dynamic whitelist based on whatever tags are present when the script is run?
Is what I had in mind.

[ x ] Restrict tags only to genre's currently in the genre node.

Bex has a small remove unused genre script, perhaps that could be used to see how to identify used from unused genre's.

In any case, yea ideally it would be something you don't have to maintain manually (the whitelist being dynamic).

Then you could clean/prune your genre node and not have to to update the genrefinder white list.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Ok, sounds good. Hopefully it will be in the next release! :)