Alpha 8 Scanning Problems and Update

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

cmx

Alpha 8 Scanning Problems and Update

Post by cmx »

I have had some problems with scanning etc. in previous MM3 releases.

At each release I have cleared the library and conducted a "clean" scan of my music files with the new version( takes 6-8 hours)...

With this release, a6, I get this:

I haven't seen anything like this previously...and it's been about 15 minutes now and MM is pegging my CPU, so I was wondering if there was any more info on this process....

**update..after about 20 minutes MM froze up and displayed the error/email dialog...email sent...after email was sent MM opened up....

Should I clear the library and do a clean scan or would it be beneficial for testing to work with the current library?
Last edited by cmx on Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rusty

DB conversion

Post by rusty »

cmx,

The database format in Alpha 6 has been updated for performance reasons. The database conversion that ran at startup was intended to update your alpha5 db to make it compatible with alpha6.

Since the update obviously failed in your case, your best bet would be to simply uninstall MM, delete the db (local settings/appdata/mediamonkey), and then re-install MM.

Any questions, let me know.

-Rusty
cmx

Post by cmx »

Thanks for the quick response.

OK. I'll do the uninstall and do a clean install.

The same odd behavior was occurring in the library that has been discussed previously...
cmx

Post by cmx »

Ok.

MM3 a6 completed the clean scan in just over 3 hours...the fastest its ever been done, excellent progress.

BUT...there seems to be about 5000 tracks missing from the total files. About 50gb difference from previous MM3 scans and my MM2 scan.

Not sure how to proceed, this is a pretty big discrepancy.

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.
cmx

Post by cmx »

Deleted db and did a rescan ovenight.

The second scan in MM3 a6 returned 107291 files.

This is less than the first scan for a6, which was 116123 files.

MM2 and previous MM3 scans return 121969 files consistently.

I selected all file types except wav. (same as previous)
I left all other settings at default.

Is there anyone else getting odd scan results?
I'm pretty concerned because of the huge differential in the two a6 scans.
o.k.r

Post by o.k.r »

I have rescan problems too, only 120 of 1546 .m4a files detected during the first scan, all 38007 mp3 and 410 wma files found.
Did several complete rescans without finding more files, but when i did a rescan with only m4a selected as filetype, all files where found.
I still can't play .m4a files without MM3 crashing though.(this started in alpha4) :-?

Try doing a rescan with only one filetype selected.
cmx

Post by cmx »

Thanks for the response okr...it was getting pretty lonely...and damn frustrating.

I too have a mix of m4a and mp3 file types, its definitely been a problem evidently....but FWIW I've never had a problem playing m4a files...even with MM2. I did have to re-install the quicktime player files to get things working properly... the scanning issues have kept me crippled though.

I tried three seperate rescans of my library with a6 and got widely varying totals...

1st try 116123k files
2nd try 107291k files
3rd try 106318k files

My previous successful MM3 scan matched my old MM2 scans at about 121969k files (this is a very accurate number)...although now I am not sure what exact alpha release I used....

Any help with understanding this issue would be appreciated...thanks.
cmx

Post by cmx »

okr gave me an idea to test...

I deleted db and rescanned using a6...

I specified ONLY m4p files. There are 198 m4p files on my system.
I monitored the status bar data at the end of the scan.

The final display reported adding 0 of 122055.

Evidently a6 did not reconginze/scan any of the m4p files. NO files were added to MM3 at all.

Evidently it did recognize all my music files...good news, I was getting nervous.

I'm doing an m4a "only" scan as okr did now...

Again, any info or help on this issue appreciated.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

simple way to get correct count of m4a files.

start> search> *.m4a

that will find all those files then check what windows tallies up for you. 8)

oh i see you removed the question this answered. must have been an smart but remark you made okay. did not think you did that type of remark so i answered it i'll have to watch what you write more carefuly. :P
Last edited by rovingcowboy on Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
cmx

Post by cmx »

Deleted data base and rescanned usin a6.

Selected ONLY m4a files.

MM ended the scan with an error dialog... it did not appear to complete a scan of all files.

After clearing error dialog MM3 a6 shows 36082 m4a tracks.

MM3 was directed to scan two drives that contain a total of 40840 m4a files.

sigh....
Last edited by cmx on Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jiri

Post by jiri »

It would help if you locate the track(s) causing problems on scanning and e-mail it to me.

Jiri
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

this is strange why is the monkey not scanning all the files.?

you already said you have enough ram. so that should not be the trouble.

you don't want to adjust the system because your trying to see if it will work on the default settings.

the only thing i can think of that might be crashing the scan is
an av program scanning at a random time, or when it spots the monkey scanning all the files which might trigger the av to think something is gathering all the files.

or if your 2 hard drives are on a raid card maybe the drivers need updated on the raid card.

i guess it could be caused by a error in the code that makes it scan faster but it scanned alright on my winxp every time i've
reinstall mm 3 a 6.

drm issues on the m4a files?
:-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
cmx

Post by cmx »

jiri, thanks for the response.

I scanned for the "mp3 only" twice and got the exact same files count.

80096 mp3's added to MM3 each time in two scans.

out of 80207 files total count on the drives scanned...can totally live with that.

I don't really have any ideas as to how to find/identify the specific m4a files that MM is not adding to the db. It seems to change radically each scan. Also note that NO m4p files were added to MM at all.

I emailed the errors when they initially occured. There was an error when MM3a6 tried to "update" my original db and that was emailed. Since then MM has only generated one error I think..that was on my first attempt as a clean rescan of all files and file types.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed or any specific request for data would be appreciated. I simply don't have the knowledge to make any assumptions on how MM is working or what could be different about specific m4a files.

roving, thanks for the response.

-MM DOES appear to be "scanning" all the files m4p, m4a, mp3, etc...it appears to NOT add the m4a files to the library in a consistent manner and evidently never adds the m4p files.

-There are no other applications running at the same time. No av stuff ...nothing.

-The drives have not exhibited these consiostent issues in the past with successful MM2 scans and the mp3 scans in MM3 a6 return a consistent number of files added each time. They are external USB/Firewire drives.

drm issues...again there seemed to be no probs in MM2(although now I am suspiscious)...but the number of files that are NOT ADDED to the library is different upon each clean/initial file scan...I just don't have the knowledge to make a guess as to why...
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i think in re reading your thread i seem to have mixed my last response up with another member's error? sorry.

but you said you have them on usb/firewire external drives?

if you have them connected by usb. are they needing usb 2 port. and you have them in slower usb 1 port? that does mess up the devices that are made for usb 2. according to my usb 2 printer it says the preformace of the printer will be effected if usb 1 is used.

8)
cmx

Post by cmx »

thanks roving....

Yes both drives in question are using USB2...

although... my latest testing seems to be narrowing things down....

I have one set of tracks including 20k m4a files, from one source, on a drive by itself...when I scanned ONLY this drive I got a pretty accurate scan of all files...

another group of files including about 2k m4a files, from various sources, is on another drive....

any ideas on how to easily isolate further on the other drive...?