Volume Leveling

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

Zonky

Volume Leveling

Post by Zonky »

Hi!

Does MMA respect volume leveling, previously performed on any synchronized tracks within MMW 5?
I guess not, right, because I continuously have to adjust the volume in my car when using MMA on Android Auto.

Maybe I did sthg wrong?
Lowlander

Re: Volume Leveling

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, if you enable this in the Options in MMA.
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Oops, wasn't aware of this option. Thanks!
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

So, option is set, nevertheless the volume over all synchronized songs is not the same level while listening.
Sometimes volume is too low sometimes as expected on the same level as the previous one(s).

All files do have a track volume set in MMW, "Files to Edit" -> "Unanalysed Volume" does not list any files. That means, sthg goes wrong, doesn't it?

FWIW, I did not set the option "Level volume when syncing audio" in my smartphone device profile...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

And in MMW the files do play at the same level?

For me files play at the same level in both MMA and MMW (files were analyzed by MMW).
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

I will do a further check on Android Auto and report back...
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:43 pm And in MMW the files do play at the same level?
Yes, they do, even when I take my smartphone and play the very same songs with MMA.

Some more details:
I just had a short trip witch my car and had an eye, sorry an ear, on some of those tracks. At home again I started MMW and checked those songs again. In MMA the option "Level Volume" is active and all tracks do carry a volume level information in the appropriate tag.

Basically we are talking both of the track volume (column) in MMW or e.g. the playlists context menu "Analyze volume" which fills up this column, right?

So there must be sthg wrong when playing the songs using Android Auto, I assume, though I don't have any clue what and why this happens.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you saying MMA on its own plays leveled, but not when using Android Auto?
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Yes, that's my experience.

Today I just had a short trip again, launched Android Auto and started to listen to MMA tracks again. Some tracks are more silent than others while each of them do have appropriate volume tags.

Adjusting the volume with the steering wheel knobs, for a single track, may work well, when tracks jumps to the next one, it may happen I've to adjust the volume again because the new track is too silent or maybe to loud.
Zonky

Volume leveling for MMA

Post by Zonky »

My experience is that volume leveling on MMA does not work as expected viewtopic.php?f=26&t=100097

But this maybe related to my device, my Android Auto and maybe my infotainment in my Skoda...
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Once again, I would like to come back to this topic.

Still seeing, better hearing, that volume leveling does not affect any of my tracks using MMAand Android Auto.
Some tracks are loder than others kr vice-versa.

So, what can I do to get same level on all tracks?

Is there any feature in MMW 5 to re-calculate the volume level?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you disable the option to only do it for files with unknown leveling adjustment under Tools > Options > Volume Leveling, then Tools > Analyze Volume will recalculate Track/Album Volume when it's already known.
Not_tech_savy

Post by Not_tech_savy »

If it's android auto that's messing with your volume, have you tried changing equalizer settings?
I set mine up awhile ago but go into your car stereo settings mess around with all of the options while switching between a quiet and too loud song. See if that does it.
MMW5 - 2690 beta Gold
MMA2 - 1073 beta Pro
Phone - S23 Ultra - liked the S21 Ultra more
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

I don't give up :D

I did execute MMA on my smartphone again, without any connection to Android Auto or my car's infotainment.

I zapped through various tracks to spot those songs that are louder than others. Most of them, if not all, do have a lower volume level in their properties. Just to mention a few values: - 0.3dB (Giants from Dermot Kennedy, Bravo Hits vol. 111) or 0.4dB (Chase, extended mix, from Vassy & Bonka).

Most of the other, significant quieter, songs do have a volume level of e. g. - 8.6dB.
Maybe the algorithm may not work properly. Either it does lower the volume level too much or it does the other way round.

Of course, I could use a 3rd party tool to adjust the volume by modifying all of my MP3 files, but this is not my desired way to handle this issue. Neither on the source nor on the target, like my smartphone.

One point that comes into my mind: the sync profile does have another option to adjust the volume, correct? I guess, this is similar to volume levelling, but will modify the files prior to copying them to the smartphone?

Edit: at least some further tests revealed that the option "Level Volume" on MMA works. Just tested by turning it off and on while playing some tracks.
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Still have no clue why this volume leveling does not work on MMA.

So, as a paid customer, both MMW and MMA, is it best to open a ticket to get this solved?