Version 5 is horrible

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Ver4

Version 5 is horrible

Post by Ver4 »

On a brand new install of Win10 Pro on a Gigabyte motherboard with an AMD APU version 5 crashes, you acknowledge it then STILL have to kill it with Ctrl-Alt-Del & kill the process. It's also beyond butt-ugly, not to mention huge, bloated, intrusive, bandwidth intensive. The layout totally sucks & you can't make it look like I want like I could in ver 4. I just nuked it & grabbed the latest version 4 which while its had occasional issues, never acted like that.

Version 5 is a major downgrade. I have an HTPC that does nothing but play music & movies. Behavior such as version 5 exhibits is completely unacceptable.
Ver4

Downgrade from v. 5?

Post by Ver4 »

Version 5 is horrible. It's unreliable, bloated & ugly. They totally changed the layout First thing to notice is the download is 85 mb compared to 15 mb for version 4. Mine installation on a brand new install of Win 10 Pro crashed 3 times in one day where I had to ctl-alt-del & kill it with the task manager. I nuked it pronto, downloaded the latest ver 4, & am good to go with 320 gb of FLAC.
Ver4

Sorting by Album Artist?

Post by Ver4 »

Bingo. You can't make it look like version 4 because the menus & layouts have changed. It's also bloated & buggy. Version 4 is far superior
Lowlander

Re: Version 5 is horrible

Post by Lowlander »

You can definitely alter the way MediaMonkey 5 works to be more in-line with MediaMonkey 4. You still have the Details view if you're not a fan of any of the Artwork views. You can disable metadata lookup (Tools > Options > Metadata Lookup) and you can still choose a different Skin that's more to your liking (Tools > Options > Skins).

Somethings are different though: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... 7s_New/5.0

As far as the crash goes, which Build (Help > About) are you using?

Related:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... isting/5.0
https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHelp:Library/5.0
https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... Monkey/5.0
Peke

Re: Sorting by Album Artist?

Post by Peke »

Ver4 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:54 am Bingo. You can't make it look like version 4 because the menus & layouts have changed. It's also bloated & buggy. Version 4 is far superior
Metro M (Classic) Skin can be made look like MM4 almost identical. Well expect Specrum analyzer that on MM5 is wider and in different color.

Regarding HTPC have you tried Touch Mode?, also Playing Tree Node is much more optimized for HTPC than MM4 will ever be.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
crawdad63

Post by crawdad63 »

viewtopic.php?p=487410#p487410

I had no trouble getting MM5 to look like MM4. As far as looks go I like the improvements.
To each his reach, but if I don't cop it ain't mine to have
George Clinton
drakinite

Re: Downgrade from v. 5?

Post by drakinite »

Ver4 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:45 am It's unreliable, bloated & ugly.
Regarding MM5 feeling bloated: It's true that there are occasional performance hitches, such as while switching tabs and views. But there will be more performance optimizations coming in the near future. :slight_smile:
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
doane2u

Post by doane2u »

I had no trouble installing or using it and I also have a Gigabyte setup. I think it's the best version yet, kind of like coming out of the dark ages. Runs fine on my LGA1200 with Intel i5 3.9GHz and 32Gb ram with a SSD drive. I really love the graphics with the pix of composers, etc. ... really a huge step forward.
Media Monkey Gold 5
Windows 10 Home 64x
MB Gigabyte Z590 UD AC w/ Intel core i5-11600k 3.9GHz 6 core
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-2600
Video EVGA GeForce GTX1660 TI
Audio Sound Blaster Z SBX Studio
C: Samsung 980 1TB M.2 NVME SS
E: SATA Western Digital Black 1TB (to be replace with a Samsung 980 1TB M.2 NVME SS)
zepcommando

Post by zepcommando »

I agree with the comments about how bad version 5 is. It is bloated. Playlists don't display below the carat when you click it. It won't play a video. It doesn't recognize my samsung phone when connected, but version 4 does and copies playlists.
I think you have a lot more work to do to get this version to be superior to version 4. It did copy my playlists and song files (all 40,573 of them) to version 5 but it's not more efficient. Also too many icons for us detailed users when I click on tracks or artists. It seems you needed some Human Factor engineering to make this new interface more streamlined. I'll wait for version 6 and hope you are doing a lessons learned on this one.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You don't have to use the Browser View introduced in MediaMonkey 5. Views like List, Grid and by Album from MediaMonkey 4 are still available in MediaMonkey 5: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ging_Views

If your phone is not recognized, make sure it isn't disabled in the Devices & Services node in the Media Tree: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... 6_Services This is where Sync is setup and done: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... Tracks/5.0 with MediaMonkey 5.
Troubleshooting: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ync-fails/

I'm not sure what you mean with Playlists not displaying? Exactly where (Media Tree?) and what View (if the issue is in the Filelisting)? Is it a problem that Playlists themselves aren't show, or files on the Playlists aren't fully shown?
singingwolf

Post by singingwolf »

I have been using a version of MM since 2003. And each version really felt like an upgrade.

I have to say I really struggled to get MM5 working for me, and it felt more like an update for updates sake.

After fighting with it for a few weeks, I lost faith when I noticed it was not always tagging files correctly.

I went back to MM4 and it felt old, but ran so well. It's quicker, more stable and does everything I need.

I might try MM5 again in a year or so but I am not happy with it. I couldn't move the now playing to the bottom of the screen either, had folders still show after deletion, it would change the view back to root folder all the time - all very weird.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
singingwolf wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:27 am I lost faith when I noticed it was not always tagging files correctly.
Can you please elaborate that, as MM5 supports much more fields than MM4 and is more precise what needs to be updated and what needs to be left as is.
singingwolf wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:27 am I couldn't move the now playing to the bottom of the screen either,
You are right added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18452
singingwolf wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:27 am had folders still show after deletion, it would change the view back to root folder all the time - all very weird.
Can you please try latest MM5 build from viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d and please explain what tree nodes reset to root when you use it? As if it a bug we will fix it.
Best regards,
Peke
singingwolf

NEXT MM4 BETA-Version?

Post by singingwolf »

Erwin Hanzl wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:05 am Too bad, as long as MM4 works, I'll use it.
After that I have to look for other software.

Wish you the best of luck with MM5.
I have been using MM for many years, and each version was a step up. But MM5 had just enough weirdness that I couldn't trust it.

When you are dealing with a collection that has taken years to build and manage, you cannot have anything weird go on.

I am sure MM5 will get there eventually, but I don't think it was ready for public consumption. I will try again in 6 months and see if it has reached a better state of maturity and stability.
singingwolf

MM4 still supported?

Post by singingwolf »

I have been using MM for many, many years, and each version was a step up. But MM5 had just enough weirdness that I couldn't trust it. My library is about 58,000 tracks.

When you are dealing with a collection that has taken 25 years to build and manage, you cannot have anything weird go on.

I am sure MM5 will get there eventually, but I don't think it was ready for public consumption. I will try again in 6 months and see if it has reached a better state of maturity and stability.

Since MM5 launched, there have been about ~400 fixes already. I think it will be another year before it's at the level of MM4.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
singingwolf wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:18 am I have been using MM for many, many years, and each version was a step up. But MM5 had just enough weirdness that I couldn't trust it.
Out of curiosity I tried to work on MM4 last night and I am soo used to MM5 UI now, that MM4 feels clunky, restrictive old timer. Yes it is on pair and faster in some cases, but it showed 1/2 less metadata than MM5.
singingwolf wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:18 am My library is about 58,000 tracks. When you are dealing with a collection that has taken 25 years to build and manage, you cannot have anything weird go on.
My MM library is 16+ Years old and contain 200k tracks 7k playlists.
singingwolf wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:18 am Since MM5 launched, there have been about ~400 fixes already. I think it will be another year before it's at the level of MM4.
only 5.0.1 -> 5.0.2 Contained 500+ fixes and for stability MM5 have not crashed for me for weeks.
Best regards,
Peke