Version 5 is horrible

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Johnw24

Re: Version 5 is horrible

Post by Johnw24 »

Over all I like MM5 very much. I think it is better than MM4 in nearly all respects. A worthy upgrade. I do expect for it to be improved over time. Just as MM4 was.

I seem able to find songs quicker in it than MM4. I did have to use a skin more to my liking and It works on both an old laptop and a powerful desktop. I have few complaints with it.

I would say it far from being awful or not as good as version 4 was. I think it is a much more ambitious project than 4 was. I wish the developers an easy road to making it an outstanding media catalog and playback engine.
jaygeekay

Post by jaygeekay »

Hmm, calling it horrible is harsh really.

I can see how after years of using MM 4 and having things just the way you like it MM 5 is initially annoying and frustrating. I'm describing myself here, 70000 tracks or so all organised the way I want and having my tried and trusted way of doing things - all seemingly gone.

But it is possible to get things to a stage you can work with it again. After a fair bit of fiddling around with options and views I have things (mostly) looking and working like they used to. So I hope you stick with it, it just takes that little bit of time. Also, as software goes, bugs are usually handled quickly and efficiently in MM, so any issues folks do have I am sure will be fixed.
singingwolf

Post by singingwolf »

OK I'll take another look. I mean we are all here as we love the MM product and rely on it and have used it for many years. MM4 was/is such an awesome product. Yes, it looks its age, but it sure is quick, predicable and easy to use. I hope MM5 continues to strive for that.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

singingwolf wrote: ↑Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:06 pm MM4 was/is such an awesome product. Yes, it looks its age, but it sure is quick, predicable and easy to use. I hope MM5 continues to strive for that.
Definitely are striving for that, yes. Improvements will come with time, and I hope that we can resolve most or all of the gripes you have with the new version. It came a long way in the year between myself starting to beta test MM5, as a normal user, and the 5.0 release. And I believe the same can be said between 5.0 and 5.0.2. If it does not live up to your expectations now, I hope that it will in time. (If there are specific issues you can reproduce, definitely post it on the beta forum.) But anyways, maybe give it another shot in six months or a year, or a bit longer, and I hope that what we have to offer may be more appealing.

Just remember that some change is necessary for growth, in all contexts but definitely including software. There may be some things that are unfamiliar, but you might grow to like those new features if you give them a chance. Also, since I didn't say this yet on this thread: Thank you all for your honest feedback, no matter how harsh β€” because if all we got was praise, we could never see our shortcomings & can never improve.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
singingwolf

Post by singingwolf »

I took a punt and installed the latest release. Still a couple of issues which I have re-raised in the MM5 bug forum. Reading through the other bugs, I can see 2 others that are similar. Hopefully they can help get them sorted. I does feel a bit better now. Might do a clean install.
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Until the Playing panel can be undocked and moved to an external monitor MM5 will be unusable for our group. (So not horrible; just completely unusable!)

If this has been addressed, or if there is some other way of getting the Playing list information onto another monitor, then I'll give MM5 another try. Otherwise I'll be wasting my time.
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Multiple Win7 x32, unknown builds
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

pokeefe0001 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:00 pm Until the Playing panel can be undocked and moved to an external monitor MM5 will be unusable for our group. (So not horrible; just completely unusable!)

If this has been addressed, or if there is some other way of getting the Playing list information onto another monitor, then I'll give MM5 another try. Otherwise I'll be wasting my time.
It was actually quite simple to make this into an addon. :slight_smile: Try this, let me know if it suits your needs. If it's good, I might polish it up and publish it on the site. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqHzUrf30uprrspfLX3yMY95F5jb4A
Edit: Available now at https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... k-playing/
Last edited by drakinite on Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Nice work Draki!

The addon works perfeclty to undock Playing : https://www.dropbox.com/s/2cm4ut118itg5 ... 4.png?dl=0
:-D

Go and publish it ;-)
Johnw24

Post by Johnw24 »

The more I use MM5 the more I am impressed. At first it does seem a little lacking but it is a remarkable media player and DAM
(Digital Asset Manager). It has more ways to display ones music collection than MM4 had. Its a more grown up program.

I am really liking it.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

I'm glad to hear πŸ™‚ It's impossible to please everyone, but hopefully as we continue to work & improve, more will share the same opinion as you.
howesjohn

Post by howesjohn »

I upgraded a year ago and gave up on version 5. But I reloaded the latest version and now I am impressed. Somebody did a lot of clean up work. Love the program. Not horrible anymore. Approaching 15000 mp3s.
Peke

Post by Peke »

howesjohn wrote: ↑Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:39 pm I upgraded a year ago and gave up on version 5. But I reloaded the latest version and now I am impressed. Somebody did a lot of clean up work. Love the program. Not horrible anymore. Approaching 15000 mp3s.
Glad to hear that.

We tried to listen to our users especially those that used MM3/4 for years (its engine lasted 10+ years).

As we say "Any feedback, even bad one helps MM to improve."

Happy New 2023. and HAPPY MONKEYING!
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

drakinite wrote: ↑Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:22 am I'm glad to hear πŸ™‚ It's impossible to please everyone, but hopefully as we continue to work & improve, more will share the same opinion as you.
You are not going to please me in MM5 until I can play all the tracks that consitute a classical composition with one click and can shuffle classical compositions - not tracks. I can do that in MM4 using linked tracks, but not in MM5. I know you added the ability to add extended tags and it is easy in MP3TAG to craete and use tags for WORK and PART (the conventional approach to handling classical compositions), but MM5 doesn't read them and even if they are added manually in MM5 there is no way to use them.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

drakinite wrote: ↑Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:54 pm
pokeefe0001 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:00 pm Until the Playing panel can be undocked and moved to an external monitor MM5 will be unusable for our group. (So not horrible; just completely unusable!)

It was actually quite simple to make this into an addon. :slight_smile: Try this, let me know if it suits your needs. If it's good, I might polish it up and publish it on the site. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqHzUrf30uprrspfLX3yMY95F5jb4A
Edit: Available now at https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... k-playing/
I will never be pleased with 5 (the program itself), until I can move the playing panel to the top and/or main panel (I can't remember which will achieve what I want) like you can with 4. Is this planned for future development, a new addon, or the addon you refer to is capable of it? This isn't one of those "you can't please everyone" things. Being able to move the playing panel around in a way that allows for widening it's view, within the program, is just basic to the whole concept of a serious collector. For me, the way it's limitations are now is like the frustrations of a righty trying to write lefty (and reverse).
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

MMFrLife wrote: ↑Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:35 pm I will never be pleased with 5 (the program itself), until I can move the playing panel to the top and/or main panel (I can't remember which will achieve what I want) like you can with 4. Is this planned for future development, a new addon, or the addon you refer to is capable of it? This isn't one of those "you can't please everyone" things. Being able to move the playing panel around in a way that allows for widening it's view, within the program, is just basic to the whole concept of a serious collector. For me, the way it's limitations are now is like the frustrations of a righty trying to write lefty (and reverse).
Thank you for sharing your feedback. Have you tried using the Playing node? It lets you view the now playing list in the main screen. Are there specific features that the Playing node lacks that you're looking for?