WiFi Sync problem

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

b1ctr52

WiFi Sync problem

Post by b1ctr52 »

I am a long time user of MediaMonkey.
Main use is to transfer music from Windows 10 music library to SD card on Samsung Galaxy.
In MM 4 days I always used USB. However, when I switched to MM5 USB method became a bit flakey so I followed advice & switched to WiFi sync.

However, after one successful sync it has stopped working. When I press Sync now on MediaMonkey for Android (MMA) I get "Sync incomplete. Connection failed!" message.
  • On Galaxy I am running MMA Pro version 1.4.3.0950.
  • Under Options --> Select sync server it refers to my Sync Server as MediaMonkey Library as DELL2. As expected
  • When I press Select sync server I get nothing
  • As regards MediaMonkey for Windows (MMW) I am running 5.0.1.0950
  • On MMW under Tools --> Options --> Media Sharing the Server name MediaMonkey Library is Enabled with status of Running.
Both Windows laptop & phone are connected to same router. The only difference between between the one successful wifi sync & now is a different router.

Regards
Dave
Peke

Re: WiFi Sync problem

Post by Peke »

As first step please upgrade to latest Beta at viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d it is very possible that your issue will be resolved.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
b1ctr52

Post by b1ctr52 »

Sorry about delay getting back to you. I've only just seen your reply. So happens today MMW told me that MMW 5.0.2.2531 is available for download & update. Which I a duly did. Unfortunately wifi sync still fails.

A bit more info on Media Sharing option on MMW:
- The Server name in MediaMonkey Library in Enabled & Running with IP address of my laptop on port 224964.

When I click on Options for MediaMonkey Library:
- The Update play count is ticked
- Share automatically with all devices not ticked.

There are 2 devices listed. One is to my TV. This is not enabled. The other is enabled. Now I would expect this to be my Samsung Galaxy? However, I don't recognise the IP address. Checking my router's admin page shows my Galaxy on a different IP address. And under Name it says Apache-http Client/UNAVAILABLE (java 1.5). Could this be the problem? The Last access date is mid November last year.

Regards
Dave
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, are you able to browse the MMW content via MMA > UPnP node ?
i.e. item 2. here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... rk-at-all/
?
b1ctr52

Post by b1ctr52 »

If I go onto MMA & click the UPnP icon I get a Searching... message only.

So I followed the "Failure to connect to the UPnP/DLNA server" link.

I can confirm that media sharing is Enabled as per 1.1. As regards step 1.2 as stated previously the only enabled client is to an IP address I don't recognise. Interestingly when I ping the IP address given I get "Destination host unreachable" message. When I ping the IP address to what I know my Galaxy is it works.

Step 2 is all about the Firewall. FYI I'm running Windows Defender. To cut a long story short I temporarily turned off Defender & tried a Sync. No joy. I also reviewed the apps allowed to communicate Windows Defender Firewall. There are 3 MediaMonkey entries: MediaMonkey 5 & 2 identical entries (why?) MediaMonkey auto-conf N3944968642. They are all enabled for Private & Public.

Still no joy.

I keep coming back to the Client setting in MMW to an IP address I do not recognise & cannot ping. I would have thought this should be the Galaxy whose IP address I can see via my router's control panel & I can ping. As noted previously it's name is Apache-HttpClient/UNAVAILABLE (java 1.5).

Regards
Dave
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Curious, further questions:
1) What's your MMW server configured port in Options > Media Sharing ?
2) If you try to see the server using another client on the Android phone (e.g. BubbleUPnP), are you able to see the MMW server ?
Also if you try to put this link to address bar of Chrome browser on Android:
http://<<your PC IP address>>:<<MMW server port>>/DeviceDescription.xml
e.g.
http://192.168.0.1:57302/DeviceDescription.xml
does it see the MMW server description?

Also, do you have network discovery on? i.e. item 4 here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ccessible/
b1ctr52

Post by b1ctr52 »

Configured port on MMW is 24964 for server MediaMonkey Library. The IP address is that of the laptop where MMW is running.

I loaded BubbleUPnP from the Play Store. To be honest I'm not sure what I should expect to see. However, in the Cloud section there was no mention of MediaMonkey.

When I put http://<<your PC IP address>>:<<MMW server port>>/DeviceDescription.xml into my browser there is a MediaMonkey server description displayed.

Looking in my router's firewall setting UPnP is enabled as well as a feature called Extended UPnP security (?)

Via Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Centre\Advanced sharing settings> I did have to turn network discovery on.

Dave
b1ctr52

Post by b1ctr52 »

Bit more information. We are dealing in an area I am not that familiar with.

After some Googleing to see if I could see which ip addresses:ports Windows knows about I did the following:
1. Fired up MMW.
2. Via Tools > Options > Media Sharing confirmed that the server MediaMonkey Library is running. As noted previous IP is my laptop's & port # is 24964
3. Via CMD ran netstat -ab command & piped output to a text file.

I can find many entries for MediaMonkey. However, if I limit the search for port 24964 I find this entry:

TCP 0.0.0.0:24964 dell2:0 LISTENING [MediaMonkeyEngine.exe]

If my understanding of addressing is correct the entry 0.0.0.0 means "all IPv4 addresses on the local machine". So to me this looks like MMW is working as designed?

Dave
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, it seems that auto-discovery (SSDP disvovery) still fails in your environment for some reason.

You can try items 5 and 8 here whether ti helps: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ccessible/
Alternativelly you can add the server to MMA manually by entering link to the device description file (see item 6 in the link above).

Also you might want to try this in the latest version of MM5
1) go to Options > Media Sharing and uncheck the
[ ] Add Windows firewall exception
checkbox.
2) OK the Options dialog
3) Go to Options > Media Sharing again and check the
[x] Add Windows firewall exception
4) OK the options dialog again and restart MM5
5) Go to MMA > UPnP whether you can finally see the MM5 server ?
b1ctr52

Post by b1ctr52 »

I think we have success!

Manually adding http://ip_address:port_number/DeviceDescription.xml seems to have done the trick. As we 'speak' it is wi-fi syncing. Interesting it did throw up a "as this is the first time you are syncing ....." message. But it's not. I have done one wi-fi sync previously. The problem was I didn't actually do anything to configure it in the first place & it never worked again. So why did it work once then stop? A Windows or Android update.

When reading your reply I did think this was the most hopeful option though I did go through all the others first.

Things I found that someone reading this thread with a similar problem may find useful as follows:

+ I use Windows Defender. I did check in Defender's rules to see if MMW was allowed. It was.

+ Unticking/re-ticking the Windows Firewall check box did something slightly odd. When I unticked it & clicked OK Windows threw up its "do you really want to do this" box. When I re-ticked & OK it didn't. Thought it would have.

+ My Network connection (see step 5.4) was set to Public. So I set it to Private.

+ Jumbo frames? No idea what they are. But neither does my setup as it wasn't an option.

+ Resetting network seems like the nuclear option. Next step I would have looked at was uninstall/re-install MMW & MMA.

And now it has finished syncing! Success!

Many thanks for your help.

Dave
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

b1ctr52 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:28 am+ My Network connection (see step 5.4) was set to Public. So I set it to Private.
Generally Public in Windows would mean restricted access to the network to protect the PC. This includes blocking applications from accessing the local network.
b1ctr52

Post by b1ctr52 »

Well yes but 2 observations:

1. This is not a setting I have ever manually changed until today. Which is not to say that a Windows update hasn't change it.

2. After any change I did in the process, like this, I did a Sync from MMA so if the something worked/didn't work we could isolate it. In this case changing the setting from Public to Private & re-syncing failed.

Dave
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Sorry for all troubles you have/had, but unfortunately in 99% of cases problem is specific to user PC and network enviroment.

Manufacturers of routers try to simplify things and often complicate things. Yesterday I checked my Router manufacturer page and found out that I have outdated firmware and new one "fixed" 15+ remote access vulnerabilities. After Update, guess what, 4/8 devices could not WiFi sync or access MM5 DLNA Server.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x :(

I managed to make it work again, but if we consider that I have CCNA certificate and advanced knowledge of network it is reasonable. Only thing I wonder how normal user coup up with that.

If you still have any issues please send me a PM or even better open support ticket where we can do into more details.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
b1ctr52

Post by b1ctr52 »

Hi Peke
Thank you for your offer of help. As we speak the issue I had is fixed. As wifi sync worked once & then failed clearly something changed. Introduced either by a MediaMonkey , router or Windows update. In the end the solution, manually add UPnP, was fairly obvious. However, in order for me to know what to enter required going through process.

Again thank you for your help.

Dave