MM5 is awful

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Ludek

Re: MM5 is awful

Post by Ludek »

On another issue, I run a ballroom dance for seniors and,on occasions, have others to run the program in my absence. As you can imagine, sometimes the wrong click of the mouse corrupts the playlist. Is it possible to lock the playlist so that this cannot happen.
Hi, yes, you can lock in using Party Mode, settings Options > General > Party Mode >
[x] Disable player controls and track re-ordering
-- [x] Enable volume, play/pause controls

and go to Party Mode (menu View > Party Mode)

As for the skins: There are already some new skins for 5.0.2 with the bigger player buttons: https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... 1/skins-1/ (e.g. Dr Sol's Perpetual)
Also in 5.0.2 the skins are more customizable, see Options > Skin and for some skins you can choose color theme, and text size (Meterial Design) or pick the desired color yourselve (e.g. Monkey Groove)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) Unskinned is no longer possible. So yes, the conclusion that you need to edit Skins themselves is correct. You can always request Skins here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=101064

2) There is no lock for the Playing list, but there is undo: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ying_queue allowing you to revert to before the change was made.
You can however use the Party Mode (Tools > Options > Party Mode for settings and View > Party Mode to enable) which allows you to lock down MediaMonkey.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

1) see my post above for the skins with bigger player buttons

2) The lock is possible using Party Mode, see my post above for details.
errolbest

Post by errolbest »

Thanks Ludek and Lowlander for that info. Will play around with that later today.
Cheers
Errol
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
As you use MM for years, then you know how complex things can get and that there is multiple ways to do that.
That said here is my contribution to your problem solution.

2a) If you want to keep your playlists untouched Here is how I do that: Created Static playlist and named it "DO NOT TOUCH, OR....!!!" Then Under that playlist I create Sub playlist that I would like not to be changed, but also would like that I can change it. Then add tracks to that playlist in order I want. After that is done I create New Auto-Playlist, name it "!!!!SENIORS BALLROOM DANCE" -> As Criteria I select Playlist -> And select Previously created playlist as Criteria. They will not be able to change Playlist order and for next Senior ballroom session you can just select new one.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
errolbest

Post by errolbest »

Peke, Lowlander and Ludek. Thanks for your input.
What you suggest stops most of the problems I have with people rearranging the playlist but, the one which occurs from time to time is when someone inadvertently clicks on the column heading. The playlist is sorted using this column and the playlist is then corrupted even using 'Party Mode'. I notice from other threads, other users have the same problem. I guess that I will have to live with the problem.
Errol
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Playing or an actual Playlist? In the Playing you can do undo. With Playlists sorting isn't saved automatically.
errolbest

Post by errolbest »

Lowlander.
It is the Playlist itself. Even in 'Party Mode', if you click on any of the column headings, the playlist is sorted and you lose the playlist. The only way I have found to correct it is to immediately click on another playlist and then return to the list you were playing. You will find that the list is back to its original setup.
Errol
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

errolbest wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:00 am Lowlander.
It is the Playlist itself. Even in 'Party Mode', if you click on any of the column headings, the playlist is sorted and you lose the playlist. The only way I have found to correct it is to immediately click on another playlist and then return to the list you were playing. You will find that the list is back to its original setup.
Errol
Note that this does not lose the original order in the playlist until you save new order (which is not possible with this Party Mode settings).
Note that a quicker way to get the original order is just to press F5 to refresh.
hetnon

MM5 is garbage. Just came here to say that!

Post by hetnon »

Who MM5 is made for? Definitely not for the MM4 user.

All those flashy designs and give me the very basic things back. It breaks all the time as well. Playing songs on Google drive feels like playing from an old scratchy CD.

Guys, scrap this is start it again, honestly!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 5 is customizable and can be made to look similar to MediaMonkey 4: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... iaMonkey_4

Does playing the same song from a local drive instead of Google Drive improve the sound quality (ie. it only sounds bad when played from Google Drive)? Also which Build (Help > About) are you using?
freedomfries323

Post by freedomfries323 »

Having used 4 for a long time, I wouldn't say that this is an awful upgrade. It's lacking some things at the moment, but I've seen a lot of improvements and it's been stable for me.
mikeyp

Post by mikeyp »

I do like the idea of running MM5 and MM4 side by side. I'm trying MM5 again because of this.

Last time I tried MM5 it crashed multiple times so I'm up for another run. :D
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

My one suggestion is to save the versions you download. When new versions get released, you will find things broken. There is currently no way to revert back to a previous version. Save various versions in the event you do find something newly broken.
lynniemagoo

Post by lynniemagoo »

Anyone else having this issue with Windows 7 32 bit?

I just tried installing the latest MediaMonkey_5.0.2.2531 as a portable installation to clean directory on Window 7 32 bit machine. Upon startup, the program HANGS and will not allow me to do anything.

I have to kill it from the Task Manager.

I have UAC active and previously was running an earlier version of MM5 so my Windows Firewall was already active.

Before you go and tell me that I'm running an unsupported (by Microsoft) version of Windows, please note that the previous MM5 version 5.0.1.2433 worked with no issues.