No sync of hierarchical playlists (top level) [#18774]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Ticktack

No sync of hierarchical playlists (top level) [#18774]

Post by Ticktack »

Hi,

I read that it is not possible (yet) to get the hierarchical playlist structure that has been created in MMW to be synced to Apple devices like iPod touch or iPhone.

But I thought it would be possible with Android. Am I wrong?

The thing is this: I created a playlist "folder" called "Intelligent playlists" that contains two smart playlists ("Most recently added" / "Most played"). I will probably add more with time.

Anyway, when I know sync my Android device with MMW, then only the smart playlists are transferred but not the top level playlist "folder" called "Intelligent playlists". I get the two smart playlists at the top level without them being a folder.

Do I do something wrong or is my assumption wrong that hierarchical structures can be synced to MMA?
Lowlander

Re: No sync of hierarchical playlists (top level)

Post by Lowlander »

How exactly did you sync and was the top level Playlist selected to be Synced?

A USB/Wifi Sync directly to the device with MMA installed should maintain Playlist hierarchy in MMA.
Ticktack

Post by Ticktack »

I used USB syncing and started the syncing from within MMW.

I just checked it again in MMW. The top level playlist that is meant to serve as a folder for other playlists is also selected.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
MM doesn't support hierarchical Playlist synchronization to iPod/iPhone, but it is tracked as
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5371 (currently with 5.1 target)

EDIT: OK, I am sorry, I misread your request.
Yes, to Android devices the playlists hierarchy is synced, but is browsable only in MMA (MediaMonkey for Android)
Ticktack

Post by Ticktack »

So, syncing a hiercharchical playlist from MMW5 to MMA is possible.

Then why are only the playlists contained in the "folder playlist" synced from MMW5 to MMA (the "folder playlist is not synced at all)? Consequently, the hierarchical structure is completely lost during the sync here. This is what happens here between my MMW5 and my MMA installations.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does the parent Playlist have any files associated with it or is it empty?

I found that an empty parent Playlist causes Sync to fail to Sync Playlists via USB, but it does work via Wifi Sync: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18774
Ticktack

Post by Ticktack »

No, this special "folder" playlist doesn't have any files in it, it is just the "folder" for the playlists contained in it and has the purpose of better organization.

Thank you very much for the tip with the WiFi sync! That solved the problem. I only used USB syncing recently because it is a lot faster.

This whole syncing still has a few quirks it seems. For example, in order to be able to detect the sync server (= computer) from within MMA I need to start MMW while I start the "Sync now" command in MMA, otherwise it won't be found. But I remember correctly, this has already been mentioned in another post.
Lowlander

Re: No sync of hierarchical playlists (top level) [#18774]

Post by Lowlander »

Then I'm assuming the same bug affects you.