Moved to new PC but all files are dead links

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

BigPedro

Moved to new PC but all files are dead links

Post by BigPedro »

Hi, I have a new PC and have followed the instruction in this article http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer to the letter. However, when I ran MM% it showed that all my files were dead links. So I ran the Locate Moved/Missing Files function and despite me pointing it to the correct location for my files, it reported that all the file were unlocatable.

I'm pretty tech savvy so I'm fairly sure I've done everything up to this point correctly, what am I missing?

Cheers,
Pete
Lowlander

Re: Moved to new PC but all files are dead links

Post by Lowlander »

You can re-assign drive in MediaMonkey 5: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive
BigPedro

Post by BigPedro »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:32 pm You can re-assign drive in MediaMonkey 5: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive
Thank you, but I did that right at the start of the process as per the instructions in the article.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You do this on the new PC after you've moved the database to the new PC, and it's not the same as Locate Moved/Missing Files.
BigPedro

Post by BigPedro »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:42 pm You do this on the new PC after you've moved the database to the new PC, and it's not the same as Locate Moved/Missing Files.
That's right, and that's what I did, it didn't seem to make a difference
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then you may not have done it right. Either process would do the trick, but Re-Assign drive would be preferred.

Do the files show a drive letter?
BigPedro

Post by BigPedro »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:05 am Then you may not have done it right. Either process would do the trick, but Re-Assign drive would be preferred.

Do the files show a drive letter?
They do, the directory structure is slightly different, on my old PC the Music folder was located under "Google Drive" and on the new PC it's My Drive. But I still would have expected the Locate Missing/Moved files function to work if I point it to the new folder on the new PC, right? Or have I misunderstood what that function does?

I have the original INI and DB files from my old PC, I'm happy to redo the process, but concerned that I'll end up in the same position. What are your thoughts?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did Locate Moved/Missing Files show that it found files in the new location, or instead wasn't able to locate any?