Been using MMW5 for about a month now, here are my issues

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

hdubnow

Been using MMW5 for about a month now, here are my issues

Post by hdubnow »

I have three issues in MMW5. Here they are, in order of increasing severity:

Issue 1: I was told in a previous forum post that all of the features that were in MMW4 were possible in MMW5. One of the flows I use is add/rescan to add new media folders to my library. If I have a folder C:\foo and in it I have C:\foo\bar in my library, and I want to add C:\foo\baz, in MMW4 I was able to add/rescan C:\foo, open the tree, deselect C:\foo and all of its sub-folders, but select just C:\foo\baz (by checking the box next to it) and the behavior it would have is C:\foo\bar would be ignored and the media in C:\foo\baz would be added. I cannot find a way to selectively add sub-folders to MMW5. Of course it scans both sub-folders and the new media is added, but I won't want it to scan the remainder of the media in C:\foo. What if there were gigabytes of media in that folder?

Issue 2: Sometimes MMW5 hangs and the only way out is to kill it and restart. It only happens during use of the UI, not simply playing music and not interacting with the windows. I can't trace the hang to any particular flow or operation -- it just randomly hangs. It has not hung while updating tag data, thankfully.

Issue 3: If my computer screen turns off (but the computer doesn't sleep), MMW5 is unresponsive after waking up the screen and the only way to work around it and wake MMW5 back up is to move the window by dragging the title bar.

MMW5 version: 5.0.2.2532
Windows version: Windows 10 Home Version 21H2 OS build 19044.1645 with Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

Thanks in advance for looking at these.

-Harold
Lowlander

Re: Been using MMW5 for about a month now, here are my issues

Post by Lowlander »

1) The method to select folders to scan has changed, but you can still select what should be scanned: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... he_Library

2/3) Please capture hangs and problems in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643

A developer will analyze the logs to see why this happens on your setup.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

hdubnow wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:31 am Issue 2: Sometimes MMW5 hangs and the only way out is to kill it and restart. It only happens during use of the UI, not simply playing music and not interacting with the windows. I can't trace the hang to any particular flow or operation -- it just randomly hangs. It has not hung while updating tag data, thankfully.
Hi Harold,

the better you learn MM5, the more this can happen ... ie. it seemed (to me) that MM5 was was fragile while it was setting itself up, and didn't like to be rushed. The same when one transferred to a new View or Collection. ... So when one became better experienced with MM5, one tended to jump into action during this fragile state, causing the problem you describe.

I don't see too much of this any more. Nothing lately. The version that you are running is around five months old, and they claim to have fixed 250+ bugs since then.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
hdubnow

Post by hdubnow »

I've been using the debug version of the beta, and now the first release candidate. No more hangs! Everything I complained about has been fixed.