After uninstalling I still have remnants of MediaMonkey

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

WinampLover

After uninstalling I still have remnants of MediaMonkey

Post by WinampLover »

Hi. I recently downloaded MediaMonkey 5 and selected the portable option. I never really used it after trying it for a while.

Then I noticed that when I right click an mp3 file in Explorer, choose "Open with...." and then choose "Choose another app...." there was an entry for Media Monkey. This kind of surprised me for a portable install. But it was also strange because in the list where I could choose MM, next to the usual icon instead of the app name it was showing the full path to the file along with the passthrough variable, which seems kind of broken.

I would like to remove this item from the Open with list but have been unable to.

I deleted the portable installation, which did nothing. I even reinstalled MM, with a regular full install, and then uninstalled it from Control Panel, and this line is still there.

I've looked up how to remove items from "Open with" by editing the registry, and I have tried to do that, but MM does not appear in the registry in the places I've looked, although there are hundreds of remnant MM entries throughout the registry.

How can I remove this entry from the list? How might I get rid of all those other MM references cluttering up my registry.

Thank you.
Lowlander

Re: After uninstalling I still have remnants of MediaMonkey

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, certain files are considered user files and not removed on uninstall: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... diamonkey/

The Portable Install will not be available in these settings (but can be set to be used by navigating to the exe).

You may want to look at a registry cleaner to fix the register like CCleaner if this bothers you.
WinampLover

Post by WinampLover »

Thank you for that reply. But I still have the same issue.

There are no MM folders anywhere on my computer.

But there are 377 references to MM in the registry. They are probably harmless clutter but at least one of them seems to be causing an broken entry in the Open With for opening with MM. When I click it, nothing happens - of course, because the program isn't anywhere to be found.

CCleaner shows nothing to be removed for MM.

Anyway to remove this broken MM item from the Open with list?
WinampLover

Post by WinampLover »

I ended up going into the registry and removing every folder item with MediaMonkey in its name until the item disappeared from the Open With list.

Should not have been so difficult. A clean uninstall would have been nice. :roll:
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I managed to replicate your behavior by doing this:
1. Installed MM
2. Deleted MM folder
3. Open do not function as point to non existing file/folder
4. Installed MM again
5. Uninstalled MM
6. No more issues.
Best regards,