Sync Issue - Itunes Playlists to MM 4

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Freddie101

Sync Issue - Itunes Playlists to MM 4

Post by Freddie101 »

Hi All,
I'm trying to get MM (4.1.31.1919) to sync everything through from Itunes. The music has all come across OK, but none of the Playlists I have created have appeared (these are not 'Smart Playlists'). I've read a few of the MM forum questions on this issue and have checked: Playlists>Options>Manage Collections & Nodes>Library Tags & Playlists and can confirm that the 'Use unicode (UTF-8 encoding) for M3U playlists' is checked. I have cleared my Library and resynced everything but still no solution.
I note that some advice is to ensure the itunes playlists are in the correct format....but not sure how I can do this. :roll:
Can some kind soul please offer some guidance on what I am doing wrong?
Thanks in advance,
Fred
Freddie101

Re: Sync Issue - Itunes Playlists to MM 4

Post by Freddie101 »

As an update.....I found the following piece of advice: "To add these Playlists to MediaMonkey use File > Add/Rescan Files from the Main Menu and make sure the Playlist File Type (like M3U) is enabled for scanning under Options (MediaMonkey 5) or File Types (MediaMonkey 4) in the Add/Rescan Files dialog". :)
I have followed these instructions and ensured everything is ticked as required. I then cleared my Library and resynced the whole lot.....all the music came across OK, but again none of the Playlists I had created in Itunes have appeared :cry:
All I have in the MM Playlists field are what I presume are the MM presets (Accessible Tracks; Favorites; Last 50 Played etc). :roll:

I've now expended many hours on this but seem to be getting nowhere fast....what am I doing wrong??

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Fred.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I tried on a clean MM5 install (nit much changed from MM4) and it imported all static playlist from iTunes (Genius playlist will not be imported)
Few questions:
- Have you enabled iTunes Export iTunes library XML for other applications in iTunes or you have manually exported Library?
- If you exported each playlist separately to M3U, have you tried to double click in Windows explorer to see if they play?

Sorry for your issues, but transition should go as simple as Apple allow it :(
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Freddie101

Post by Freddie101 »

Hi Peke,
I've checked and can confirm that the "Share iTunes Library XML with other applications" box is checked. The music library sync with MM is auto rather than a manual process.
I've tried exporting a couple of the playlists to my desktop as M3U and yes, they do play.
Where do I go from here?
Thanks,
Fred.
Freddie101

Post by Freddie101 »

Aha.....I continued to poke around and tried various things and have now successfully managed to get the Playlists into MM. Success :D

Thanks for your help.
Fred.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Out of curiosity if Apple changed something in recent iTunes builds what was the winning combination of settings?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Freddie101

Post by Freddie101 »

Exported all the Playlists from Itunes as M3U's to a 'Playlists' folder on my desktop.
Linked MM to that Playlist folder.
Then went: 'File'>'Add/Rescan files to the library'> Select and tick the 'Playlists' box in the music folder.

It worked Ok, but of course it will also be a manual update process in future as I'll need to re-export the Playlists whenever I update/add.
Thanks again,
Fred.