[SOLVED] Can No Longer Wi-Fi Sync After PC Factory Reset?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

twarren04

[SOLVED] Can No Longer Wi-Fi Sync After PC Factory Reset?

Post by twarren04 »

Hi there,

I'm a fairly new user of Media Monkey. I have Media Monkey 5 Gold on Windows 11, and Media Monkey Pro on Android.

I'm having an issue with wi-fi syncing that I can't figure out how to solve. It used to work fine for me, no problems at all, until I had an issue with my PC that required a factory reset. After the factory reset, I reinstalled Media Monkey on the PC and got it all set up, but now I can't wirelessly sync to Media Monkey on Android. When I go to wirelessly sync, it endlessly stays "searching" without producing any results. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the factory reset, but I'm not sure how to fix it. (I am still using the same IP as I was before.) Syncing via USB still works for me, but I'm having issues with the metadata not completely syncing, and I read that the fix for that is to use wi-fi syncing. (Wi-fi syncing is also just more convenient!) I'm at a loss, so any help / guidance would be very much appreciated!

Steps I've tried:
- Rebooting my phone and PC
- Closing / rebooting Media Monkey on PC to get it to show on the server options on Android
- Uninstalling / reinstalling Media Monkey for Android
- Making sure there was an exception for Media Monkey in the firewall, and shutting off the firewall altogether
- Making sure the server on Windows was enabled / had the correct IP address
- Making sure "network sharing" was turned on in Windows settings
- Resetting network settings on my PC
- Trying to add the server manually (I'm not sure I did it correctly, but I tried to follow the steps online)

I don't have a debug log - I'm not incredibly tech-savvy and can't figure out how to do that. If getting the debug log is necessary, tips on doing that would be appreciated as well!

Thank you in advance!
Lowlander

Re: Can No Longer Wi-Fi Sync After PC Factory Reset?

Post by Lowlander »

May be a firewall issue: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... rk-at-all/

You want to start with trying to connect via UPnP in MMA to MediaMonkey: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ccessible/
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
so I suppose that you are not even seeing the MMW server in MMA > UPnP, right?

Did you try everthing from https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ccessible/ ?

Maybe it is the firewall causing the issue(s)? i.e. see item 2 there.

Also check whether MMW > Options > Media Sharing > [x] Add Windows Firewall exception is enabled.
twarren04

Post by twarren04 »

Hi, thanks for the quick replies! I did manage to figure out the problem after some more digging around, thought I'd share how I fixed it in case it might help someone else.

There was already a firewall exception for Media Monkey, and it still wouldn't connect even with the firewall turned off altogether. And yes, the server wasn't showing up at all in MMA > UPnP.

The problem ended up being in the inbound rules after all. (Accessed through the control panel > System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall > Advanced settings > Inbound Rules) I had already checked that out and saw that the inbound rules under "MediaMonkey 5" were enabled, but upon further investigation, the setting "Block the connection" under "Action" was selected. I changed it to "Allow the connection" and voila, wi-fi syncing is once again functional.

(I'm not sure if I need to delete this thread or mark it as solved somehow, or how to do that, so let me know!)

Thanks for your help!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

No, don't delete this thread as it can help others facing the same issue.

Your issue sounds exactly like: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 264#c64524

The blocking rules created by Windows (when user cancels the "Windows Security Alert" dialog) are now called "MediaMonkey 5" (and not "MediaMonkey" as in the past in MM4).

Starting from build 5.0.2.2504 the blocking "MediaMonkey 5" rules are auto-deleted once user enables the Windows Firewall Exception in MM5 options.

So maybe you tested an older build/version?
Peke

Re: [SOLVED] Can No Longer Wi-Fi Sync After PC Factory Reset?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I edited the first message in topic so that indicates SOLVED state and added Information icon so that others can find the solution.
twarren04 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:27 pm The problem ended up being in the inbound rules after all. (Accessed through the control panel > System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall > Advanced settings > Inbound Rules)
Thank you for this, I've got bit lazy as I am using Binisoft windows firewall control which controls exactly those advanced parts of Firewall settings and have easy notification and access to firewall rules. So I forgot that you can also easily access those thru good old Control panel.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts