How to permanently change the track sort order in recently added albums

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

snowleopard

How to permanently change the track sort order in recently added albums

Post by snowleopard »

I don't understand this, but every time I buy a CD, rip it and then have MM5 scan for changes and I check the recently added albums, the albums that are most recent are at the top of the list (The way it should work). But then under each album, the tracks are listed Z-A instead of A-Z, I can manually re sort them, but it should sort the tracks in the order that they are on the album (not last track first).

How do I permanently fix the track sorting and why is it backwards?
Lowlander

Re: How to permanently change the track sort order in recently added albums

Post by Lowlander »

The playlist will sort on Date Added.
snowleopard

Post by snowleopard »

Ok, so that is fine at the album level because new albums should be at the top, but then the track sorting should reflect the order the tracks are in the album, not the date they were added.

Is this something I am able change and then save as a permanent change?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The sorting is track based.

Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you using and what View are you using?
snowleopard

Post by snowleopard »

I am on 5.0.4.2653 and I am looking at the Playlists>Recently Added.

So Recently added should sort by the "date it was added" to the database because I want my newest albums at the top of the list but what it should do is"

Level 1 = Date Added = A-Z
Level 2 - Track Number = A-Z

What is does (I think it always has done this), even in MM4:

Level 1 = Date Added = A-Z
Level 2 - Track Number = Z-A

So the result is when you click on the first song listed in the album in the recently added playlist, it starts with the last track of the album, when you press the next button for the next track, it goes to the second to last track in the album.

When the way it should work is track 1 is the first song on the album, then when you press the next button, you are taken to track 2 on the album, then track 3, then track 4, not 4,3,2,1.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I think what is happening is that "recently added" is in fact sorting each track that is displayed, regardless of album, simple sort by how recently it was added.

Thus, you probably added the last track of the latest album "most recently", and so on. For this to work the way you want, you would have to rip the tracks in reverse order, last one first.

To display it in track number order, you probably need to filter for the album(s) you want, and then sort secondary key by track number.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
snowleopard

Post by snowleopard »

Rob_S wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:55 pm I think what is happening is that "recently added" is in fact sorting each track that is displayed, regardless of album, simple sort by how recently it was added.

Thus, you probably added the last track of the latest album "most recently", and so on. For this to work the way you want, you would have to rip the tracks in reverse order, last one first.

To display it in track number order, you probably need to filter for the album(s) you want, and then sort secondary key by track number.
I guess that is one solution, but MM5 is using MySQL right, so can't there be a first level sort and a second level sort? I know enough about SQL Query's that you can have multiple level sorts, I would do that all the time in a former life.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

The issue you have is that your primary key of "Recently added" is different by a few seconds each time, so the secondary key does not come into play.

If you sort by album title, then you can use the secondary key of track number within that album, or even use date added in reverse order.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

@snowleopard

Works under version: MM5.0.4.2655 Alpha Beta

Step 1)
I am creating an auto playlist with the following criteria and sorting properties (I forgot the criterion: "Album is Known".)
Ich erstelle eine Auto-Wiedergabeliste mit folgenden Kriterien und Sortiereigenschaften

Step 2)
Activate the new auto-playlist in MediaTree
After that I create a new view ONLY for Auto Playlist (List_Auto_Playlist_Added)
Danach erstelle ich eine neue Ansicht NUR für Automatische Wiedergabeliste (List_Auto_Playlist_Added)

Step 3) fertig - finished

I hope it helps.
Last edited by Erwin Hanzl on Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation