Best Way to Sync between Laptop and Desktop

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

jamesG01

Best Way to Sync between Laptop and Desktop

Post by jamesG01 »

Hi,
I have a desktop with MMW5 running Windows 11 and a laptop with Windows 10 on it.

I would like to be able to keep a sync'd version of all the tracks/playlists/etc. from my desktop to my laptop. I would like to be able to edit playlists on my laptop and sync them back up to the desktop, which I would consider my master space. (Because basically, my wife would rather I sit in the living room rather than in my study of an evening, and I don't want to be antisocial :D )

There's no space problem on the laptop, so I can keep a local copy of everything.

Is there a best way to set MMW5 up on my laptop?

Cheers,
James
Lowlander

Re: Best Way to Sync between Laptop and Desktop

Post by Lowlander »

There is no build in method to keep 2 databases in Sync.

You can Sync files and Playlists: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... Tracks/5.0
and you can export Playlists: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ylists/5.0

However 2 way editing complicates things. It won't work for Playlists.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

You could use a program such as "total commander" to set up a backup of your database and track files from laptop to desktop which you would run each time you have edited anything.

Total commander is free software for personal use, and is the most useful tool I have for backups. It will scan a designated set of folders local and remote, and in a few seconds it will tell you which files are newer or missing on each side.

Customize the list as needed, Click on Sync, and it will copy one way or both ways newer and/or missing files.

The only issue with this is if you have modified your folder structure on one side, and make a normal backup without deleting on the other side, you end up with duplicates. I think this is typical of most backup software.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The problem there is that MediaMonkey uses driveID instead of drive letter. So the easiest is to match the driveID's between the 2 PC's, otherwise you need to fix this each Sync: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive
jamesG01

Post by jamesG01 »

Thanks, all.

I think I've found a workaround...Remote Desktop into the desktop from my laptop.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Thanks for sharing your solution!! :)
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
jamesG01

Post by jamesG01 »

Path of least resistance for now. :D
lkraus

Post by lkraus »

jamesG01 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:23 pm Thanks, all.

I think I've found a workaround...Remote Desktop into the desktop from my laptop.
I've been using RDP to reach my main desktop from a very slow laptop in my workshop. Connected to an old receiver it works well in Auto-DJ mode.

On one occasion I was unable to edit lyrics from the laptop. I could make changes, but when I left the Lyrics tab, the lyrics in Now Playing did not change and the old data was still present when I returned to the Lyrics tab.

I've found that it is important to properly close MM on the laptop before ending the RDP session. Otherwise, it will be unresponsive on the desktop and have to be shut down from the Task Manager, where it will show high CPU usage.

I've not reported this as a bug, as this is probably an unusual usage scenario and I've not taken the time to rule out any oddities in my setup.