Move music to new phone

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

akovia

Move music to new phone

Post by akovia »

I am moving from a Galaxy S20+ to a S22+, and the new phone does not support a SDCard like the old one where I had my music stored.

Is there a way to modify the DB to point to the new library location and be able to keep all the data intact without starting again, or am I just over thinking this?

I was thinking it might track play counts, ratings, and other data that I would lose from just moving the music into a new folder and scanning it fresh.

Thanks for any insight.
GMGJ

Re: Move music to new phone

Post by GMGJ »

I just bought a Pixel 6 for the wifey and a 6a for myself. I let the move to a new phone stuff do its thing and I get my music files moved and I see them, but I do not see my playlists. I am using Android app File Manager to look at the old phone. I believe I wat to move my old mmstore.db to my new phone. I wish it was simple, but, I have tried copy, move etc. Is there a documented way to move the database for Android? I tried this 1)Connect old phone to PC, 2)hit charging notification on phone and change to file transfer. 3) Open up Windows File explorer, 4) go MTP USB Device, 5) copy the This PC\MTP USB Device\Internal shared storage\MediaMonkey\files\ mmstore.db to the pc and reverse the process on the other phone. Windows 10 my Pixel 6a shows up as Pixel 6a. This did not work for me. HELP. I use only a subset of files on my phone, as my library is large on what is left for storage on my phone is small. I create my phone playlists by selecting a Windows playlist and send it to the phone
Number12withEggroll

Post by Number12withEggroll »

I just got a Pixel 6a too. In order to get the playlists onto the new phone...

On the phone:
> MediaMonkey
> Main screen settings menu, the 3 vertical dots
> Options
> Wi-Fi Sync
> Made sure the "Select sync server" was set to my computer

On the computer:
> Devices & Services
> Google Pixel 6a - Internal Shared Storage
> Sync List (Library --> Device), which for me is in the middle window at the top.
> Put a check mark in Playlists under "Choose which files to keep synced:"
> Also made sure that the Music option was pointing at the directory that I want to mirror to my phone.

That worked for me.
GMGJ

Post by GMGJ »

Thanks for posting. Other folks will find this useful. I have only a subset of my library on my phone. I don't think this will work. How would it know which playlists were appropriate? BTW great email address. You are unique, just like everyone else
akovia

Post by akovia »

I'm glad you guys were able to find a working solution. I don't use Windows and thus can not sync to anything.

I hand edited my playlists without issue to point to the new library locations, but I have years or rating info that I've lost. Most of my files have embedded ratings that MM will not read, so I'm trying to find out what ratings tags if any MM Will Read.

I've tried tagging a song with both "MM Rating" and "POPM", but the Android player doesn't seem to recognize either. Could someone add some clarity?

Thanks.
GMGJ

Post by GMGJ »

I copied my old database from my android (mediamonkey\files\mmstore.db ?) and opened it with https://sqlitebrowser.org/. Note, it says thhis versions needs a column function called unicode . I see my playlists etc Now all I need is a debug version of MM for android, their development environment and a lot of MM application knowledge, and I could figure it out. sample from the playlists table exported as csv
_id,name,parent_id,_data,date_added,date_modified,number_of_tracks,number_of_subplaylists,_ms_id,guid,date_sync,date_modified_mediastore,date_sync_mediastore
1,AnneWorkout1,,primary:Playlists/AnneWorkout1.m3u,1615760247,0,43,0,991,,,1592930886,1615760770
2,Bach Goldberg,,primary:Playlists/Bach Goldberg.m3u,1615760248,0,32,0,992,,,1592931374,1615760770
3,Boogie Down,,primary:Playlists/Boogie Down.m3u,1615760248,0,15,0,993,,,1592931462,1615760770
4,Gary - Electronic Chillout Random,,primary:Playlists/Gary - Electronic Chillout Random.m3u,1615760248,0,84,0,994,,,1592931316,1615760770
GMGJ

Post by GMGJ »

I do not know what or how I created the music files and playlists for my old phone. For the foreseeable future, I am going to use MM4 1) select playlist, right click Send to Synchronize to a usb, on the usb, with my settings I get a Music and a Playlist directory. I copy that over to my phone and things work fantastic