Unhelpful error message

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

gordol

Unhelpful error message

Post by gordol »

Upgraded to a Samsung S22U yesterday. Finally got MMW5 to see it (see my post in the MMW5 forum).

Synching my media to the new phone, I'm getting an unhelpful error. Nowhere can I see WHY they failed.

Peke

Re: Unhelpful error message

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Check those two tracks in MM5 if they are Accessible/Playable. If Not just remove them from Library or use File -> Locate moved missing track to find them in different location.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
gordol

Re: Unhelpful error message

Post by gordol »

Sorry for the delay.

The first one in there I am listening to right now as I type in MMW5. The filename is "Bots Destroyed - You Have To Stop It - Lyta's History - A Distant World - It Could Change Everything - The Black Tower - Ivanova's Wild Dream - It's Calling All Of Us - The Vision Of Thirdspace - We Have Contact.mp3", is 12.9MB big at 128kbps CBR. The file name without the extension is 212 characters long. It does appear to be the longest filename in the library, and still shorter than the file limitations of Windows.

Shortening it to 167 characters worked.

Now that I know what's going on, I found the setting in MMW to truncate the filename when syncing to the device and set it thus:

\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track #:2> $Left(<Artist>,20) - $Left(<Title,150>)

The only change I made was changing "<Title>" to "$Left(<Title,150>)".

It worked before, on the Galaxy s20 using a MicroSD card for the device library, but it's too long of a file name for the s22's internal storage?

The second one appears to have been deleted from the hard drive but MMW5 did not pick up that change, because MMW is set to manual scan only. If I had deleted it specifically, it would have been from within MMW, so a rescan of the library should not be needed as it should automatically update the library as actions are taken on the items.

I am changing that to scan at program startup.

Manually had MMW scan the library, and the deleted item is taken care of.

This does not change the fact that the error message is unhelpful. MediaMonkey should say why the track downloads failed. Either there on the mobile, or a popup dialog on the desktop application, which has to be running anyway for the sync.