Can't access USB flash drives in MMW5

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

ScottHK

Can't access USB flash drives in MMW5

Post by ScottHK »

After being a customer of versions 3 and 4 for years I bought version 5 this week as I have a long distance friend having lots of trouble playing some folders of music files I gave her on a USB drive, as WMP wants to ignore the file order in the folder (though I numbered the files for proper play order, and even adding an .m3u file doesn't change it's mind in my testing). MMW4 seemed to do this just fine but when I went to see how much it would cost her I found out about version 5.

Unfortunately MMW5 doesn't seem to like USB drives at all and when I plug one in and try to access it I got exception errors and no files listed on the drive. This is on a Windows 10 machine, and I tried both front USB ports and get the same thing.

Perhaps related to this, I don't think the install ever asked me if I wanted to install the 64 bit or 32 bit versions of MMW5 and I think I may have installed the 32 bit version. Or maybe there is only one version now? If not, is there a safe way for me to uninstall the 32 bit one and get and install the 64 bit one?

Also, FYI, the install never asked for my registration key but I hunted down where it goes and added it. Unfortunately it doesn't help my issues.

I have screenshots of the errors but don't see a way to attach them to this message - really? it's 2022 - and don't know how to insert them. To sum up by retyping them:

1. When I first insert a USB drive this error pops up:
Application throw an exception 'Access violation at address 009E804e in module 'MediaMonkeyEngine.exe'. Read of address 000000000'.

2. When I then try to access the Drive from Devices & Services then selecting the inserted USB drive I get a longer pop up box starting with the same error:

Application throw an exception 'Access violation at address 009E804e in module 'MediaMonkeyEngine.exe'. Read of address 000000000'.

I also get the options to Restart; Restart in Safe mode; or Continue. Continue just leads to another error.

If I then shut down MMW5 and restart it with the USB drive already inserted I get a different error:
Media server 'MediaMonkey library' could not start: port 58152 is already in use. Check whether another instance of MediaMonkey is already running or change the port # in Options > Media Sharing.

If I shutdown the program, then correctly unmount (or whatever the term is in windows) the USB drive and then restart the program and put the flash drive in the other USB port on the front of my PC I get the same message as when I did it in the other port:

Lowlander

Re: Can't access USB flash drives in MMW5

Post by Lowlander »

Screenshots: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97733

Which Build (Help > About) are you seeing this errors with?
ScottHK

Post by ScottHK »

Sorry, I should have thought to supply that. It's 5.0.3.2627.

Since I wrote this I launched MMW 4 to test something. I've shut it down but now when I try to launch MMW 5 again, it just get a spinning progress wheel for a few seconds and then nothing happens. I guess I'll have to reboot.

Also, the USB drive directory structure is nothing fancy, it's just folders in these formats:

\Artist - Year - Album\*.mp3
\Collection of songs\*.mp3
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try a PC reboot. It may be that MediaMonkey 5 is still running (a problem fixed in MediaMonkey 5.0.4 beta).

If after the PC reboot the problem persists, please capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643
ScottHK

Post by ScottHK »

The reboot did allow me to open MMW 5 again but now whenever I even click on my PC library I get error messages and no tracks listed for any artist. That's with the USB drive inserted.

Once I shut down MMW5, safely remove the flash drive, and restart MMW5...I can access and play the PC music library again. I immediately get a pop-up with the above error though it is continuing to play the track I had in progress.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) as requested above.

This will allow a developer to analyze why this happens on your setup.