Problem with MM5 - it's not working! Not Will not open now.

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

AngelCat2

Problem with MM5 - it's not working! Not Will not open now.

Post by AngelCat2 »

Today I was using MM4 on my HP Windows 7 laptop and for some reason there was no sound when I played music tracks. So I checked for updates and it said there was one, MM5, which I downloaded/installed (neither was the portable version). I also uninstalled MM4.
When I went to launch/open MM5 it took a few minutes before it actually ran and I tried playing a couple of music, it worked fine tracks. I didn't like the orange skin and layout so I utilized another skin already on MM5. Then I went to the MediaMonkey AddOns and downloaded a different skin, took that skin file, placed it in the C Drive MediaMonkey folder, specifically the folder for Skins. Then I opened that skin on MM5 via the skin options, choose the circle for that new skin to apply it, and MM5 automatically closed - AND I was never able to open MM5 again.
I've troobleshot and tried various things to get MM5 to work again, including uninstalling & reinstalling MM5 (I also ran CCleaner to clean out the registry three times) & rebooted and restarted my laptop several times. Still MM5 will not work!
Please advise! Does anyone know what the problem is or could be & How to fix it ? (...Or I may just have to reinstall & go back to MM4.) TY
Lowlander

Re: Problem with MM5 - it's not working! Not Will not open now.

Post by Lowlander »

Which Skin did you install on which Build of MediaMonkey 5?

You can try renaming persistent.json to renaming persistent.json.old and restarting MediaMonkey: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/
Timo_Beil

Post by Timo_Beil »

Not a solution, but a temporarily workaround:
I like to use a portable installation, if it went wrong with MM and has to be tested.
This may be done in a separate folder, that can be deleted after a solution has been found.

To make a clean install, it can be usefull to delete the entire folder %AppData%\Mediamonkey5 (after a backup of MM5.db).
(Type "%AppData%" in the adressbar of the file explorer)
MM 2024.0.0.3005-port-DE, Win 11 pro, I7-6700, 16GB RAM,
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Timo_Beil wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:54 am To make a clean install, it can be usefull to delete the entire folder %AppData%\Mediamonkey5 (after a backup of MM5.db).
(Type "%AppData%" in the adressbar of the file explorer)
Hi Timo_Beil,

I thank that is a bit extreme isn't it?

During the alpha and early beta stages of MM5 there were quite a few incidents where MM5 locked up.
All that was required was to delete the file named persistent.json.

Since that time MM5 has become much more robust when handling unexpected situations within this file. This new incident that you are reporting is the first time I have seen it for a long time now. ... Hopefully they will find and fix that exposure also.

Deleting the whole of AppData\Mediamonkey5 unnecessarily deletes MediaMonkey's ini file, as well as opening an exposure that someone may accidentally delete their database. ... probably also all their database backups, unless they have altered the MM5 default location for those.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Timo_Beil

Post by Timo_Beil »

I thank that is a bit extreme isn't it?
You're right.
If MM5 was used for a while, adaptions and optimizations are made, hundreds of thumbs are saved for the media files, I wouldn't go this way.
But the OP has a fresh MM5 installation with a problematic skin change.
After deleting the whole folder, all values (also in the .ini) that may disturb a clean start, are gone, so it may be an extreme but effecitve way.
See: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 35#p500935
Last edited by Timo_Beil on Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
MM 2024.0.0.3005-port-DE, Win 11 pro, I7-6700, 16GB RAM,
ElMauro

Post by ElMauro »

Hi, just to sum something:
Not really sure his problem has to do with the skin change, but win7 itself.
I'm testing with a laptop (a sony) in a 2 fresh ssd, one with win7 x64 installation, with vcredist till 2022 and .net 4.0.
MM5 displays the splash image and then hangs forever (never loads).
Same laptop, another ssd with win10 x64, runs fine.

EDIT, it works on win7 using the included MediaMonkey_NoGPU.bat ( mediamonkey.exe --use-gl=swiftshader )
Last edited by ElMauro on Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 5 is only designed for Windows 10+. However you can try if the latest beta of MediaMonkey 5 resolves this issue: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d
Peke

Post by Peke »

ElMauro wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:42 pm EDIT, it works on win7 using the included MediaMonkey_NoGPU.bat ( mediamonkey.exe --use-gl=swiftshader )
What GPU you have on that laptop? What is the version of driver?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
nonob

Post by nonob »

Hi,

I use MMW4 on my Windows 7 PC since... a very long time...

On year ago, I installed MMW5 to try it on this Windows 7 PC, even if I knew it was only supported on Windows 10+, and it worked (5.0.1.2433), but with some bugs..., but I didn't take the time to search to resolve them and continued to use MMW4.

Then, I installed an update some days ago: 5.0.4.2661: MMW5 won't open.
Then I installed 5.0.4.2663: same problem: MMW5 won't start at all anymore.

I tried :

- MediaMonkey_NoGPU.bat
- Rename mm5.db in mm5.db.old
- Delete persistent.json

Nothing worked

On my task manager, I can see these processes running:
MediaMonkey.exe
MediaMonkeyEngine.exe

Then I tried to delete the %AppData%\Mediamonkey5 folder, uninstall MediaMonkey5, and reinstall it (5.0.4.2663).
The installer asks if I want to import MMW4 database and settings, and I reply yes.

I can see the shortcut in my taskbar like if the window was opened:
but I can't maximize it, so I close it with right click and close.
I kill process MediaMonkey.exe and MediaMonkeyEngine.exe.

I click on the MMW5 shortcut and it work!
I just had a ask for MediaMonkey COM Elevator but it disappear before I reply...

So it works again on my Windows 7 PC, but for how much time...

The knowledge base say that MediaMonkey 5.x is supported on 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows 10 and Windows 11. ( https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ible-with/ ).

Do you think this issue is caused by Windows 7?
If not, when you say that MMW5 is supported on Windows 10 and Windows 11 only, is there really something unsupported on Windows 7 or is it just to say that it isn't tested on this OS because it is obsolete?

Website "Le Geek du Cerisier" : MediaMonkey
MMW on desktop PC: Windows 10, MB MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91) (AM4), CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics 3.90 GHz, RAM DDR4 16 GB, SSD M.2 SK-Hynix SSS0L24765 512 GB (C:), 3,5" Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 1 To (D:)
MMA on 4 Android devices - MMW5 gold in test... - MMW4 gold used for years (with extensions: AdvancedReport, Album Art Tagger, CustomFieldsTagger, Custom Report, Discogs Tagger, French translation, GenreFinder, Last.fm Scrobbler, Lyricator, MM codec pack Trial, MusicBrainz Tagger, MusicIPTagger, RegExpFind and Replace, Tagging inconsistencies)
Peke

Post by Peke »

HI,
nonob wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:25 am is there really something unsupported on Windows 7 or is it just to say that it isn't tested on this OS because it is obsolete?
Personally, I do not have hardware anymore to support Windows 7, Switched to NVMe m.2 and UEFI GPT Drives that Win7 do not support natively (I managed to start Win 7 for a bet, but it is not stable) and after the change of Mother Board and CPU I do not have stable drivers support :(
I guess it is the same with other team members. If it happens again we can try to help but without any guaranties, unfortunately.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
nonob

Post by nonob »

Website "Le Geek du Cerisier" : MediaMonkey
MMW on desktop PC: Windows 10, MB MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91) (AM4), CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics 3.90 GHz, RAM DDR4 16 GB, SSD M.2 SK-Hynix SSS0L24765 512 GB (C:), 3,5" Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 1 To (D:)
MMA on 4 Android devices - MMW5 gold in test... - MMW4 gold used for years (with extensions: AdvancedReport, Album Art Tagger, CustomFieldsTagger, Custom Report, Discogs Tagger, French translation, GenreFinder, Last.fm Scrobbler, Lyricator, MM codec pack Trial, MusicBrainz Tagger, MusicIPTagger, RegExpFind and Replace, Tagging inconsistencies)