Some issues using RDP

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

TDOG13

Some issues using RDP

Post by TDOG13 »

SInce rebuilding my DB a while ago after moving the data to another drive (internal vs external) I keep facing new issues.

1) Cannot get rid of the Now Playing node. Don't ever need it. Even after unchecking it, it is still there.
2) The library does not get updated anymore. I have to restart MM so it could rescan.It is set to monitor continiously, so I don't understand why it no longer works as expected.
3) The "Remove unavailable files" prompt is there despite my numerous attempts to uncheck it. How do I permamnently turn it off?
4) When I remove a bunch of files, MM starts auto-playing the next available file. Don't remember it happening before. Any way to stop this behavior?
Lowlander

Re: Some issues

Post by Lowlander »

1) There are 2 Now Playing's, one is a node in the Media Tree and the other is the window. Each would need to be disabled.

2) Are the files on an external or network location? Do make sure that Folder Monitoring is set to continuous for the location you're adding files.

3) There is an option under Tools > Options > Library to remove unavailable items. It controls this during scanning.

4) Remove from where? The Now Playing or the Library?
TDOG13

Post by TDOG13 »

1) I was able to finally get rid of this window by unchecking "Art & Details" from the View options. Apparently the Now Playing title in the bar of this window is somewhat misleading.
2) The files are on the internal drive. If I delete some files from my PC outside of MM, then the library does not get updated. The continuous scan is enabled in the folder monitoring. This option is set up the same way as before, when it worked, except now the new location is specified.
3) There is an option under Tools > Options > Library to remove unavailable items. It controls this during scanning. - This option is checked. Yet, I am getting prompted to delete them. As a matter of fact, I am looking at this promt right this moment after the continuous scan did not do anything, and I had to rescan manually.
4) When I delete from the library and the computer.

Below are few screenshots. May be they will help figuring out whether I did something wrong.

Here is a prompt to remove items:
https://ibb.co/sJVsbBg

The option that specifies to remove the items:
https://ibb.co/RbmXWp2

The monitor options:
https://ibb.co/cbQSwbr
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

2) If you can reproduce on the latest MediaMonkey 5 release we can troubleshoot this.
3) This option enabled will cause this prompt to appear. If you disable it, the prompt won't be shown. You can always manually find these removed files under Music > Files to Edit > Dead Links in the Media Tree.
4) But from where in MediaMonkey? Anyway, if you can reproduce on the latest MediaMonkey 5 we can troubleshoot it with that version.
TDOG13

Post by TDOG13 »

I could never managed MM5 to work.
Here is my setup: I manage the library on a file server. MM is installed locally, and I connect through RDP.
Whenever I start using v 5, it inevitably crashes, or freezes or it seems that there is occasionally some kind of a prompt in the background I cannot get to to confirm. I've had numerous attempts to use it since it was released and was always up-to-date with the builds.
Never ever I was able to complete the scan successfully, so I've simply given up on it and moved back to MM4.
I will give it another try, and when it crashes, I will take a screenshot for your team to troubleshoot.

THank you for your help!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please try with the latest beta and capture any crashing in a debug log (step 4b) and send it to Support.

This will help a developer analyze why this happens on your setup.
Peke

Post by Peke »

TDOG13 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:45 pm MM is installed locally, and I connect through RDP.
Whenever I start using v5, it inevitably crashes, or freezes or it seems that there is occasionally some kind of a prompt in the background I cannot get to to confirm.
Hmmmm, Can you post screenshot of freeze, Does ALT+TAB help, have you tried to minimize MM using taskbar and restore?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
TDOG13

Post by TDOG13 »

Here you go...
https://ibb.co/Lr8NS7Z

Yup...the blank screen...It is indeed MM5
Another form of crash is when MM5 suddenly minimizes itself to the taskbar, and I can no longer bring it back up. hen I click on the minimized taskbar icon all I can see is a small white screen representing MM5 supposedly running. At this point I can't even close the application. The only option is to force quit via the task manager. This only happens when I add files to the library.
And for the past year at least, I've been trying many many times with always the same result.
My main reason to stick to MM4 is because I depend on the advanced duplicate find script which is no longer works in version 5.

Anyway, I've just completely removed 4 and 5 and will try again with v5 only for now.
Will report back in a day or two.
TDOG13

Post by TDOG13 »

OK, installed MM5, and it crashed again. But I think I know what may be causing it.
It just hit me that everytime I see an issue is the moment when I rdp to the file server.
So I've made sure MM5 was running properly, closed the RDP connection, reconnected back right away, and here it goes again, the blank screen as in the latest screenshot.
Minimized MM5, couldn't bring it back up, and eventually it just crashed.
I was about to submit the crash report but after checking it I see it has a lot of personal information about my server and myself, so I am not comfortable sharing it.
TDOG13

Post by TDOG13 »

Another update....I can now confirm that I can reproduce the issue at will by simply closing the RDP and connecting again. A quick search returned at least 2 forum threads where the users have reported the same exact issue.

No resolution was provided.
You, guys, need to pull it together and fix it. I can help troubleshooting it further if I can.
Lowlander

Re: Some issues using RDP

Post by Lowlander »

Please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why this happens on your setup.

You could then try to run with MediaMonkey_NoGPU.bat and see if that prevents the crash.
TDOG13

Post by TDOG13 »

Running with the batch file seems to have helped so far. Was able to finally complete the library scan for the first time ever. Also, weirdly enough, it is now working by launching the regular exe file (no batch), and I am not sure why.

Now I have few thousands of duplicate files. How can I remove them all in one shot? Or do I have to go back to MM4 for that?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's a manual selection process in both MM4 and MM5, but there are tools to help with this: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... icates/5.0
tooponn

Post by tooponn »

I can now confirm that I can reproduce the issue at will by simply closing the RDP and connecting again. A quick search returned at least 2 forum threads where the users have reported the same exact issue.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you try the nogpu solution?