[REQ] Start Playback from Last Played in Playlist

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

telstar

[REQ] Start Playback from Last Played in Playlist

Post by telstar »

Hi and thanks for looking :o .

Age old discussion in MM: Why is there no feature that allows MM on startup to have remembered the last played track in the playlist and start playing from this point?

I profess, I am no programmer, but through the course of time, "the start from last played" feature was common in past disappeared applications.

How difficult is it to provide this feature?

I imagine a lot of MM users play the same (sometimes large) playlist over multiple sessions and every time have to manually go searching through the playlist to find the last track played for the current listening period. Successfully (many years later), I realized that I could add the "Last Played" field into the MM Playlist and page down to find the "Last Played" date. I then would/will start playback from there.

I appreciate all the work the MM's team have done over the years. I look forward to their new features and hope they will consider "Start playlist playback from last track played;" maybe as an check box option in "Player." Those who don't care about this feature can opt out.

Thanks for looking & continued MM success!

Telstar
Telstar

Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64-bit, CPU: Intel Core i9 @ 3.50GHz Skylake Technology, RAM: 64.0GB
Motherboard: Notebook X170KM-G, Graphics: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Storage: 931GB Samsung SSD 980 PRO-1TB, 1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus-2TB, 1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus-2TB
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio (internal)
Lowlander

Re: [REQ] Start Playback from Last Played in Playlist

Post by Lowlander »

There are 2 problems:

1) Adding a Playlist to the Playing does not link it back to the Playlist. The Playing is fully independent of the Playlist and will allow you to re-arrange files, and add and remove files. It would be challenging to manage play position in a Playlist when the Playing has been altered.

2) Last Played is of limited use as the files on a Playlist may have been played not part of the Playlist (when playing a different Playlist, or Artist or Album with the file).
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

See my feature request here, add your name there directly if you agree.

https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... es#p499935
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Works perfectly with MMW 5.0.4.2663 beta.

I start MM5 and double-click a song from the "Not in Playlist" playlist.
The complete playlist is in "NowPlaying" and the song "Capri Fischer (Original) - Martin Mendes" starts playing.

After 50 seconds I stop playback - see player-panel.

Close MM5

Restart MM5
You still see the song "Capri Fischer (Original) - Martin mendes" in the player-panel

Now press the button >>(next file) in the player-panel
The song Capri Fischer - Geraldine Olivier is played.

MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

But not if you play something else in between, and then you go back to that playlist, hoping to continue from where you were at.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

@Rob_S
That is not the topic of "telstar"!!!
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

The thread subject asks for recall of last played "in playlist", which is not the same as "now playing"

I agree now playing always starts from last played for me as well, after restart.

He mentions multiple sessions, which might mean different playlists alternating?
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

The thread subject asks for recall of last played "in playlist", which is not the same as "now playing"
His request was to continue after restarting MM from where he was after exiting MM.
The source "Playlist" is shown as an example. It could also be albums.

He mentions multiple sessions, which might mean different playlists alternating?
No, he doesn't mean from different playlists, but he's listening to a few songs now - then closes MediaMonkey and doesn't start MM again until tomorrow and wants to continue where he left off the day before.

I think enough has been said and written. Above I have documented the desired procedure with text and pictures.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I would be very interested to hear from Telstar why or under what circumstances the "now playing" resume was not functioning for them??