Migrating from Version 3

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

soneil

Migrating from Version 3

Post by soneil »

After using Media Monkey Gold version 3 for a long time I finally made the plunge to version 5 Gold. Why did I move? Mostly because backing up playlists is pretty cumbersome in Version 3 (I lost a bunch and had to rebuild them). I understand version 5 is far better for backing up.
Now the reason I took so long to move is because I was mostly happy with version 3 and haven't really liked the appearance of Version 5 when I've tried it. I much prefer the way things were laid out in version 3. There are 2 things that would make me a lot happier with version 5 that I haven't been able to figure out.

First and most important, is there an easy way to import my playlists from Version 3 in to Version 5. I've had a bit of a look in the program and on the forums and couldn't find a quick way.

Secondly, is it possible to show the playing list beneath the main list of songs rather than to the right? In Version 3 I could drag the now playing list so that it docked on to the bottom of the browse list. Then I set it up so the same columns showed in both. I can't seem to move the now playing list by dragging it in version 5 though.

There's a few other things I'm not sure about but hopefully I can figure them out if I keep on exploring.
Thanks in advance all.
Lowlander

Re: Migrating from Version 3

Post by Lowlander »

Rob_S

Re: Migrating from Version 3

Post by Rob_S »

So, to be clear on this, are you saying the only way to transfer playlists and other data that is not contained in tags, is as follows:

The MM3 database can only be imported directly to MM4, thus need to install MM4 first, and then once that is scanned and established, then:

The newly created MM4 database will be imported by a fresh install of MM5, or can be copied over into an existing install and renamed? Note location of the DB is in the appdata/roaming/mediamonkey5 folder.

I think if only static playlists need to be transferred, those can be exported from MM3 to m3u and then imported into MM5 directly. I don't know offhand if MM3 has auto-playlists, but standard fixed playlists should be able to be exported to m3u

MM5 still cannot export nor backup auto-playlists separately, and the only backup available is the entire db. I believe autobackup is still off by default, so needs to be turned on.

I write this hoping to provide a bit more info as to the reasons for the above suggestions, and alternate possibilities. By all means correct me if I am wrong in some aspect.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks