Artwork: Apply to all... doesn't work as expected

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Timo_Beil

Re: Artwork: Apply to all... doesn't work as expected

Post by Timo_Beil »

Sorry, i feel, you hadn't understood my stumbling english.
Now track 1 and 2 are in the same Album, the artwork is still not copied.
Contrary to your assumption, all tracks were found by "Find more from the same album", so the Album Artist and the Album match the values of the other files on the Album.
But what's about this behavior (happend before all tracks are in one album):
1. Overdrive is the affected track. When I "Find more of the same album" of this track, MM illogically shows only the other 9 tracks. But if 1. is not in the album, MM should not show the other ones.
Is there someting wrong when updating the properties in the DB?
A video shows the attempt to tag an new added track of an album... with the result, that successfully added properties are gone suddenly.
How can I document the artwork problem when new strange behavior keeps appearing
MM 2024.0.0.3005-port-DE, Win 11 pro, I7-6700, 16GB RAM,
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you find more from same on just Overdrive?
Timo_Beil

Post by Timo_Beil »

Sorry for the late reply... I forgot the submit button yesterday :roll:
Track 2 to 9 are found via ... "from the same album" on track 1. overdrive and all other 9 of this album.
(Track 2 sometimes disappears after double click, picture above).
I think we have to distinguish between the following effects:
1. artwork is not copied to other tracks of the album.
2. properties are not consistently present in all views and are sometimes lost.
3. unwanted Artwork fetched from the web overwrites existing images.
Could 1. and 2. have the same reason?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The first thing is if MediaMonkey sees the files as the same Album. Other issues would be caused by this. If Find more from same > Album finds all the files, then tagging 1 with Artwork and enabling apply to all files on Album should tag all files on the Album.

Online lookup only happens when Artwork is not present.
Timo_Beil

Post by Timo_Beil »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:11 am If Find more from same > Album finds all the files, then tagging 1 with Artwork and enabling apply to all files on Album should tag all files on the Album.
Yes, it should, but it doesn't. That's why I write my fingers to the bone here.
Lowlander wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:11 am Online lookup only happens when Artwork is not present.
I never wrote, that the loookup is the problem here, but the writing to already correctly tagged album members.
I admire your patience in explaining again and again how MM should work.
Likewise, I am amazed at my patience with which I try to explain again and again that MM unfortunately does not work that way.
But if you think it's ok that MM behaves like in this horror video , or that it should store artwork in the tag instead of the cache video, overwriting the correct artwork of the other album members, or that it should sometimes not transfer the artwork tags to the album members as I reported, then we can end the thread here.
But if you are interested in building MM so that it works as described in the wiki, I would be happy if you read my error description a little more carefully and not just answer with general phrases.

EDIT:
And now the video, that shows the failing of artwork transfer to all tracks on the album.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So, that confirms what I thought was the problem. The file isn't actually part of the Album as seen by MediaMonkey. Thus the Artwork tagging isn't expected to work.

1) Did Track 1 get updated on the NAS after the first edit (where you save the same Album, Artist, etc.) values as the other files on the Album?
2) Can you right click on the file and use Find more from same > Folder (Library)? Are all the files (including Track 1) shown there?
3) If so, can you do the edit where you set the Album and Album Artist to the same values for all files (including Track 1) and then use Find more from same > Album and then do see all files on the Album (including Track 1).
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:33 am So, that confirms what I thought was the problem. The file isn't actually part of the Album as seen by MediaMonkey. Thus the Artwork tagging isn't expected to work.
I must be missing something. What in that video makes you think that the track is not part of the album from MM5 POV?
My eyesight is not the best. You see something I don't?
Why would FindMoreFromSame|Album return non-alnum tracks anyway.

FWIIW I also see regular small problems with album art management. I am late to this thread, but I will pay more attention to this area if this thread doesn't result in any fault being accepted.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Timo_Beil

Post by Timo_Beil »

Your questions refer to different videos with different errors.
The processes in the last video can be reproduced as follows:
View: Entire Library>All Tracks, Global Search : Artist Name (Koto)
1. a correctly tagged file (without cover) is copied per Explorer into the album directory.
2. find more from the same Folder(All) and File>Add/Rescan gets the file into the DB.
3. Previous View (Icon bar) jumps back to the view with the search (The new track only appears after F5)
4. All "Find more from (Album, Library,...)" show the new track.
5. Find more from the same Album retrieves an inappropriate artwork from the web and displays it for the album.
6. Properties of one of the old tracks>Artwork>Apply to all..: The saved cover is not transferred. The new file is not edited.
Not shown in the video:
7. Properties of the new file>Artwork: Remove the inapproriate "unsaved image" (from 5.) and check "Apply to all Files of Album/Serie" deletes the correct Artwork from all tracks of the album.
Later the inappropriate artwork is automatically fetched from the web again and assigned to all tracks of the album.
8. Look for the the right cover in the web an paste it to the track in the Properties.
9. Restart MM because it refuses to accept pasting sometimes.
10. Now pasting works and the cover is distibuted to all files of the album.
I cannot imagine that I should always need 10 steps for such an import process.
I mean there are 4 errors:
5. In "My Library" of the Info Panel, no automatic lookup somewhere in the world should happen. (optional?)
6. Distribute should work.
7. Only selected pics should be deleted.
9. Pasting should always work
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

5. At any step from 5 and earlier was the Info panel displayed? It is designed to do an Artwork lookup if Artwork is unknown.
6. Can you please capture this failure in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket for developer analysis?
7. This is expected. As you've set no Artwork it will remove any Artwork already assigned as all files are set to match the edited file.
8/9. How/where exactly do you paste? Have you tried Drag & Drop instead of paste?
Timo_Beil

Post by Timo_Beil »

5. Yes, in Info Panel. This is designed to show an inapproriate album pic from web, when ONE track of the album has no pics in tag. (why is nonsense from the web more important for MM than the info in local tags?)
6. I will pull a log if the error occurs again. Currently everything is working as desired. :o
7. OK... no flaw. MM propagates the whole artwork properties, not the deletion of a pic.
(But this is yet more proof that MM sees the new track in the same album.)
8./9. I cannot drag a pic from a website.
( But these error should be discussed in the other thread so as not to clutter this one.)
EDIT: Drag&Drop (Depends on design of website) works. After a Drag&Drop, Paste was enabled again 😕❓
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I have found similar when viewing any set of tracks in list by album view. A manual , or an autotag artwork update will not immediately display in the main window.

Also, this new artwork will often display for unrelated albums which have no associated artwork of their own.

In each case the preview window will display the correct artwork for those albums

I have posted about this previously but no change so far, so must not be an easy fix. Possibly related to cached images.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

This above originally posted to "No refresh in node Music/Albums [#19770 #19771]" was deemed to be related to this subject, but since it was moved, it did not appear as a new post, so here goes BUMP.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks