How avoid double files when syncing to android?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Dancer

How to fix all the problems to have fun again with MMW?

Post by Dancer »

Preface: I'm really interested in getting everything fixed with this program. Until a week ago I was an enthusiastic fan of MM. In fact, after days of frustration with severe sync errors, I want to ignore it altogether. Fortunately, I mostly use Linux Mint, and there I use the well-functioning Lollypop Player (though its sync feature doesn't work either.).

I have 2 devices to sync: 1 tablet and a smartphone.
On the smartphone it works for the most part, even the wifi variant.
It's a different story on the tablet. Here is a list of the problems to fix. Most problems are with the audio books.
  • All audio books are copied to the tablet. But only half of them end up in the visible category. All of them are only visible in the folder view.
  • In the folder view editing is not possible. Or more precisely: After I have edited the first folder in "Properties", the "Properties" of the next folders show the entries of the just edited first folder.
  • Likewise, the album image is transferred to other folders afterwards. Images and properties no longer fit the audio book.
  • Synchronize via wifi after initial sync via usb should go quickly, since almost all files are already on the tablet device. What worked on the smartphone, does not work at all on the tablet. About 120 folders were copied via usb. Per wifi are are to be copied once again over 1000(!) folders, which I canceled.

It seems to me that there is something very defective. The database? If so, which one? Apart from the sync disaster, MMW works reasonably well.

So the cardinal question is:
How can I fix it?
I have already deleted all files several times and started over. Why does nothing change for the better on the tablet? Is it fixable at all?

Here are my configs of the paths in both PC and android (tablet and smartphone):

Code: Select all

Config on MMW
[b]1. music[/b]
   F:\Music\
     <Album-Interpret>\<Album>
     <Track#> - <Interpret> - <Titel>
[b]2. classical[/b]
   F:\Music\Classical\
     <Komponist>\<Album-Interpret>\<Album>
     <Track#> - <Komponist> - <Titel>
[b]3. audibooks[/b]
   F:\Music\Audiobooks\
     <Track#> - <Titel>
[b]4. playlists[/b]
   F:\Playlists\
     <Track#> - <Titel>

Config of paths in MMA tablet
[b]1. music[/b]
   \Music\<Album-Interpret>\<Album>\<Track#> - <Titel>   
[b]2. classical[/b]
   \Music\Classical\<Komponist>\<Album>\<Track#> - <Titel>	 
[b]3. audibooks[/b]
   \Music\Audiobooks\<Album> - <Interpret>\<Track#> - <Titel>
[b]4. playlists[/b]
   \Playlists\<Album-Interpret>\<Album><Track#> - <Titel>
Thank you for your suggestions.
MMW 5.0.4.2690 beta Gold on WIN 10-64Bit Vers. 22H2
MMA 2.0.0.1080 Pro on Android 12
Vivaldi browser
Barry4679

Re: How to fix all the problems to have fun again with MMW?

Post by Barry4679 »

As discussed in your other thread, I have some problems with MM5 sync, but not the showstopping problems that you report. And I don;t have a tablet nor any audiobooks, so I can't try to replicate your problems.

You ask how to fix. I would do this:
  • temporarily rename the output folders on your tablet, so that MM5 cannot see them during the following test
  • setup MM5 to sync a minimal selection that demonstrates your problem ... the smallest selection will help during diagnosis and will reduce any frustration from long duration test runs
  • when you have refined your test criteria setup, closedown MM5 and delete the output folders that you have just created on your tablet
  • download the small app mentioned in point 4 here
  • start the debug tool and then follow at least the 1st step of 4.c from the above link ... ie. replicate the bug while the debug utility is running
  • create a Support ticket and attach the debug log as described in 4.b
If you do get any help, can you update this thread with a brief description of any help (or frustration) that you get?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Dancer

Re: How to fix all the problems to have fun again with MMW?

Post by Dancer »

Hi,

following an intuition I decided to copy the music library from the extra partition (F:\) back to Windows (C:\Users\<my name>\) and take that directory as the only basis for MMW. After that the synchronization worked without errors at first. Could it be that MMW is error-prone when the library is on another partition? At least when this library is also accessed from Linux? Maybe the taggings are not compatible between MMW and Linux tag programs (Kid3, EasyTAG)?

Then there was another problem: Although I set the paths in MMW and MMA so that "Classical" and "Audiobooks" are subdirectories of "Music" (~\Music\Classical), MMW moves most of the classic folders back to "Music", although they are tagged as "Classical". Can I prevent this unwanted moving? If so, how?
Or is it new standard not to set up subfolders?

Update:
I just read this thread where it is explained. I will check it out soon.
Vivaldi browser
Lowlander

Re: How avoid double files when syncing to android?

Post by Lowlander »

1) This is known, and due to poor manufacturer drivers.

2) Where in MMA files are accessible (ie. Audiobooks) does not depend on location of files on the device. It depends on them being identified as Audiobooks.

4) Note that Send to > Device can result in duplicate files, it isn't the same as Sync.
Dancer

Re: How avoid double files when syncing to android?

Post by Dancer »

In the meantime, syncing with the smartphone works very well, even via wifi remote. With the tablet, I'm making another attempt with complete resyncing (after deleting all music files on the tablet).

Why it does not work so well with the tablet? Meanwhile I see that there is a fundamental difference between both devices:
  • On the smartphone, the 64GB sd card and the internal memory is connected as ONE memory.
  • On the tablet, such connection does not work. Therefore there are 2 memories, the internal and the external 64GB sd card.
This leads on the tablet for example to MMA asking for "grant access" for a non-existing music library within internal storage.
Without this access I can't delete any album that is on the sd card.
However, any grant access I tried, included create a new folder "Music", doesn't lead to have done it successfully. Still there is "Grant" demand in the category "internal storage".
Vivaldi browser