"MediaMonkey is unable to decode this format." on WMA files

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

lccseh

"MediaMonkey is unable to decode this format." on WMA files

Post by lccseh »

hi

i get this error when trying to convert wma files, and a similar error when mmw5 tries to sync to mma.

i went back to my mmw4, same thing.

this is on windows 10 pro version 22H2, os build 19045.2365, windows feature experience pack 120.2212.4190.0

i had successfully converted many wma files in the past.

there was an article here about windows N, but from what i can tell, i am not running a windows N version.

what are my options? i would love to finish converting my (many) remaining wma files to flac.

thanks,

les
samsung s22
android 13, one ui 5.0
mmw 5.0.4.2690 (gold lifetime)
mma 2.0.0.1066 (pro)
Lowlander

Re: "MediaMonkey is unable to decode this format." on WMA files

Post by Lowlander »

Can MediaMonkey play the files? If not do you have Groove/Windows Media Player installed and can they play WMA files? Could the files have DRM protection (WMP would do this by default when ripping CD's)?
lccseh

Post by lccseh »

well, this is interesting. after answering your questions (see below), i tried convertio.co and discovered that these .wma files are 0 bytes long !

i shudder to think what would have caused this corruption, but at least the mystery of these files not converting is resolved.

thanks for the suggestions.

----
Can MediaMonkey play the files?
nope
If not do you have Groove/Windows Media Player installed and can they play WMA files?
also nope. "this file isn't playable. that might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt." 0xc00d36c4
Could the files have DRM protection (WMP would do this by default when ripping CD's)?
my guess is no.. if so, would this appear when examining the properties using windows file explorer?
samsung s22
android 13, one ui 5.0
mmw 5.0.4.2690 (gold lifetime)
mma 2.0.0.1066 (pro)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If the files are 0 bytes, then that's the problem that answers all questions with no. Unfortunately it would mean re-acquiring the files unless you have a backup of the files.