Moving from PC to Chromebook, can MMA work as standalone?

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

MimiMonkey

Moving from PC to Chromebook, can MMA work as standalone?

Post by MimiMonkey »

My Win 7 PC seems to be on it’s last leg. I’ve been using MMW v4 for a long time, and there are a lot of tracks I should just weed out. I’ve read the instructions for setting up sync between MMW and MMA. But soon I won’t be able to access the pc, and in a way I’d rather start fresh on the chromebook.

Would it work if I set up MMA on the chromebook, and just gradually add music as I feel like listening to it? Right now I have the mp3s backed up to an external hard drive. I ordered a micro sd card to use with MMA. I would move mp3s to the card as I want to listen to them, and start fresh with tagging and playlists.

I can see possibly syncing to an mp3 player, but never again with the pc. Is it possible to sync from MMA on a chromebook to a portable mp3 player?

BTW, my original plan was to rely on youtube music, and just upload songs they didn’t have. But they keep changing the interface and I see a lot of complaints about it online, so I‘m not sure if I want to count on it long term.
Lowlander

Re: Moving from PC to Chromebook, can MMA work as standalone?

Post by Lowlander »

MMA can't Sync to other devices. MMW is required for any Syncing. MMA also doesn't tag files on the device, it just saves changes to its database (a Sync with MMW will get the tag changes saved to the files).

Otherwise, future MMA 2 releases will improve on scanning and other aspects of managing your files.
MimiMonkey

Post by MimiMonkey »

Thanks, Lowlander. Not good news, but good to know.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Just an fyi, this is an accurate reflection of the current situation. We plan to add this functionality in a future release to make MMA a fully standalone product.

-Rusty
Blorkersson

Post by Blorkersson »

Hi Rusty,

What do you mean by a stand alone product? Will we continue to be able to use MMW to manage a collection?

I use MMW to edit track information whenever I find typing or information errors, to manage playlists (particularly Auto Playlists), change genres (to a more suitable one) and so on. In other words, various tasks that are much easier to do on a full computer and very difficult, if not impossible, to do on a small portable device using MMA.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, but more of the MMW functionality would also be available in MMA, so you wouldn't have to rely on MMW to accomplish them. Now MMA heavily relies on MMW (for example metadata changes in MMA are saved to the database and synced with MMW which updates file tags, rather than being saved by MMA directly to file tags.).
Blorkersson

Post by Blorkersson »

Thank you for that Lowlander.

Just so you know, I've been moving away from iTunes (and my iPod) and now have all of my music collection on my Android phone. I like both applications, but I think it's obvious that Apple will be getting rid of iTunes on Windows in the foreseeable future.

As much as the iPod is great, it's too small physically and has too little storage.