Adding tracks does not sync new artwork to phone

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

gordol

Adding tracks does not sync new artwork to phone

Post by gordol »

I kept forgetting about this, but it happened last night so it's still fresh in my mind.

I added a new album to MMW5 (current build), made sure it had the album art, ratings, other metadata so it'll be added to my playlist(s) and synced to my phone. The album art never transferred over with the tracks. The art is stored in the track metadata. To get the art synced as well, I have to make an edit to the artwork tab of the metadata dialog and then sync.

This pre-dates the MMA2 betas so I'm reasonably confident it's an issue with MMW5.
Lowlander

Re: Adding tracks does not sync new artwork to phone

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey and did you do a USB or wi-fi Sync?

Did the new files get scanned in with the Artwork already present in the files?
gordol

Post by gordol »

5.0.4.2690, regular or debug no difference.

The tracks are dragged and dropped into the Music node in MMW not scanned in. I actually now have scanning disabled in MMW as I do file adds manually. Same thing happened when scanning was on, but again, tracks are dragged and dropped into MMW.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does MMW itself display Artwork after the files are added (and before Sync)?
gordol

Post by gordol »

Yes it does.

Just bought a new-to-me album from Amazon. Here's what I'm doing:
  1. Extract the files from the zip
  2. Drag the tracks to the Music node in MMW
  3. Wait for MMW to read the metadata
  4. Select all newly added tracks via the Recently Added playlist
  5. Open the Properties for multiple files
  6. Edit tags as needed (genre, rating, etc) on the Basic tab
  7. Verify in the Artwork tab that the album art exists and is noted as "stored in tag"
  8. Verify in the Artwork tab that the album art already shows as "Front Cover"
  9. Click OK to save
  10. Verify that the new album shows up in my Never Heard, and other appropriate smart playlists (if it doesn't it means I forgot a tag)
  11. Sync
  12. Check MMA, tracks are now on the phone, minus the album art
  13. I have to do something to edit the artwork tab for them for the art to transfer over such as edit the art Description
  14. Re-sync, album art is now there
Similarly, if I edit the art itself I have to edit something else to get the updated artwork to transfer over.

If I resync without editing the Artwork tab, no change. Based on editing the artwork itself, I think if I were to edit the Description prior to the initial sync it would transfer the artwork too, I just keep forgetting to test that.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you check one of these files on the phone (you may have to manually copy it to PC) does it still have embedded Artwork? Does MMW display Artwork in the Preview (set to Selected or to Playing when playing the file) and Filelisting when viewing these new files right after import?
gordol

Post by gordol »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:48 am If you check one of these files on the phone (you may have to manually copy it to PC) does it still have embedded Artwork?
Unknown, I have never done that and now I do not currently have any new music to add to test with.
Does MMW display Artwork in the Preview (set to Selected or to Playing when playing the file) and Filelisting when viewing these new files right after import?
MMW shows the embedded artwork properly when the tracks are imported on the PC.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is an Artwork fix in MMA 2 build 1065 just released as beta that may have affect on this.
gordol

Post by gordol »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:14 am There is an Artwork fix in MMA 2 build 1065 just released as beta that may have affect on this.
Are you referring to this thread? viewtopic.php?t=103422? Different symptoms. His is reminiscent of a problem I had last year where MMA1 replaced the album art of over 3k tracks with the cover art of one specific album.

This issue is affecting only newly added tracks via MMW5.

It will be a few days at least before I'll have anything new to add to test with. With how it's presenting, I will not trust re-adding an existing item back in as the tracks embedded metadata will have been modified already.
gordol

Post by gordol »

I have submitted Helpdesk Ticket #5408: "New tracks do not sync album art until artwork tab is edited" with a logfile from MMW5 for this issue:

Added a new album, only initial edit was to the Rating so the tracks will populate to my playlists and wifi synced. As expected, the embedded album art does not show in MMA (v2, build 1065). Back in MMW5, I selected about half the new tracks to edit the artwork tab, selected the option to update the selected files and unselected the option for all tracks in the album. Synced a second time and all the new tracks got the album art.
gordol

Post by gordol »

b1095. This is still a problem.