I found old missing old iPod Nano 5gen

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Phototaker

I found my old missing old iPod Nano 5gen

Post by Phototaker »

I found my old iPod Nano 5gen that had been missing for years in a drawer. I doubt that it would run for very long without being plugged into USB. It works just fine on the PC.

I have copied all files to PC's 'C' drive. I tried pointing MM to the folder but can't seem to make it connect so that it will play. Where should MM be looking?

Once that connection is made could the entire file also be transfered to an Android phone and would it work there as well?
Lowlander

Re: I found old missing old iPod Nano 5gen

Post by Lowlander »

Did you copy files from the iPod to the PC? If so, is MediaMonkey not seeing the files or unable to play the files?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Faced with this situation, I would create a new sub-folder within my "Music" on the PC, and copy the files into there.

Or within wherever you keep the rest of your music files. Or copy a few of them for testing if there are hundreds.

Then do an add/rescan and they should show up in Mediamonkey.

If these are mp3 files or most other formats, you should be able to copy them (or some of them) to any device you want.

Not sure about DRM issues with files coming from itunes.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Phototaker

Post by Phototaker »

I have opened all of the folder's from the Nano and find the iPod control folder there is a sub folder called iTunes and it has even more folders. Which one should I try to link up with?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I think you would want to find and copy any folders from the ipod which contain mp3 or other music files over to your PC music folder.

Then Mm would find them there.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Phototaker

Post by Phototaker »

I finally had the time to try this once again. I did what was suggested by creating a sub folder from iTunes.

I can get MM to play files, but I have another problem. It would appear it's those small alpha/numeric links that iTunes uses to link different parts of the files together that are called iPod control music.

Is there any way to get around this problem and if so, how is it done?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What do you mean by different parts? Each song should be a single file.
Phototaker

Post by Phototaker »

Well for different parts I assumed that there would be links to, audio file, album covers, playlists etc.

Do I still need iTunes on the PC?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Most of this is done in Apple proprietary ways.
Phototaker

Post by Phototaker »

If I do a search on my iPod on my PC, I can see hundreds of files like this OGPY.mp3 or ZCIF.mp3.

Are you saying that MM will never be able to use playlists as is? I know that the program is capable of playing any file that I tell it to.

What would happen if I sorted all of my files by type (MP3) any pasted them into a new folder could MM still get the other missing files like covers from the Internet?

Alternatively, If I were to reinstall iTunes plugged in the old Nano, I think that it might be detected.

And if it was can this, I then transfer it in some way so that MM can use it in the same way iTunes used to work?

Looking even further ahead I got new hearing aids today that have Bluetooth and a phone that can store hundreds of GB's and It might be a good place to keep a copy of a music library.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, you can get the MP3 files and copy them to the PC. MediaMonkey can then play those and you can use Auto-Tag.
Phototaker

Post by Phototaker »

I got the entire library from the old Nano copied to MM on PC and they then play them without a problem.

I then put another CD in PC and set it to be ripped by MM. It looked like it had been ripped OK, but I had a problem finding where they had been filed away. When they were found they weren't in the library where I would have expected them to be, like under artist, The names of these newly recorded tracks aren't displayed at all.

In fact, I'm uncertain as to where my entire library is now located. The Nano had playlists on it but haven't seen any reference for them.

I know that I will find it somehow. In the meantime, a friend asked if I could then transfer this entire library to an android phone? I have no idea.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1. iPod Nano, MediaMonkey can't copy Playlists from it, only the media files themselves.

2. In the Rip dialog you set where the files will be saved. If you go through the Rip process again, you can see where the files were likely saved (you don't have to actually Rip the disc again). This process does depend on tags. MediaMonkey should do automatic lookup, but not all CD's will be found. When no information is found you should manually edit a few things like Artist, Album to locate the Ripped files. You can then try Auto-Tag on the ripped files on the PC to see if it can locate additional information like Title.

3. You can Sync to Android phones.