Advice please to recover from a very bad folder move . . .

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Peke

Re: Advice please to recover from a very bad folder move . . .

Post by Peke »

kncuk1969 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:44 am I believe that is only available in the Folders Node as the Location Node is only for content that is media related. (i.e., mp3, mp4. mkv,, etc... and NOT txt, bmp. jpg, pdf)
To correct you Collection location node contain only folders and files that are in MM library eg. Location file/folder browser and main folder browser acts like windows explorer reading all media files that MM can add/play/manage.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Jim Kelly

Post by Jim Kelly »

Peke,

I work mostly in the Music > Location node.
It would be a great help if we could opt to Add a New Folder to an existing tree when adding a new Album and Artist (etc).
It would be a great help if we could see any empty folders too - quite ok if they were subdued in some way to make it clear that they did not yet contain any playable tracks.

I have noted such requests in the fofum posts for many months now. Why can't it be addressed?
Even a message at the right mouse click menu explaining what to do would be a bit helpful. I (and surely many others) have spent hours trying to find a way to Show Empty Folders (and to Add New Folder).

Whatever the reasons, your users' frustration levels needs to be addressed at every possible oppourtunity, otherwise we cannot feel comfortable introducing other potential buyers to your product, etc.

Thanks for your work, the product is great, just needs tidying up! You have a great opportunity to keep control of our music and playlists in our hands, not to be lured to control by big corporation$$.

Best regards,
Jim Kelly
--
Jim Kelly
MMW Lifetime Gold v5.0.4.2692 Portable install with 25,000 MUSIC tracks on a 2TB (Samsung T7) Portable SSD.
Microsoft Surface Book-2, 15" 3240x2160 Notebook Computer, 16gb, 1TB SSD.
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit , Version: 22H2, OS build: 19045.3448 with current patches.
Used as above about 50% of time, and the balance attached to a Microsoft Dock to:
LAN, 3.5mm audio-out, other storage, and two extra displays via Display-ports:
30" 2560x1600 and 24" 1920x1200 (in portrait orientation), MM5 is extended across these two displays.
Also use MMRemote to provide rating edits, volume, mute, next, prev, etc whilst mobile, via WiFi.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Jim Kelly wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:36 pm Thanks for your work, the product is great, just needs tidying up! You have a great opportunity to keep control of our music and playlists in our hands, not to be lured to control by big corporation$$.
Do I see here "Right to repair" bill supporter? 8) :wink: :D
Best regards,
Peke
Jim Kelly

Post by Jim Kelly »

Hi Peke,
I did have to look up what you meant - and yes, I'm very much in favour of helping farmers keep their machinery running 24x7 when necessary. Our capitalist system FAILS when the "no monopolies" rule is disregarded. Freedom is about having a choice at every step of the way and evading that rule is a recipe for tyrany in my opinion (along with facism: collusion between governments, global businesses, legal, military and the 'journalistic' media - entities that should all be 'kept miles apart').

But no, I am just trying to guide your organisation by explaining my frustrations. I know that many cultures will not do so, and they just turn away and their custom disappears (without ever giving honest feedback). But you need your customers to be happy so that we introduce friends into buying your products. WE are your best salespeople! As a QA person, please try sitting quietly whilst observing a newbee grappling with your product. Note every single thing that creates havoc and make it a mission to get all such things fixed asap. It seems that your team know the product so well that you are missing all of the silly things that do not work as expected! We have music to organise and play, not software to write.

I truly trust that you take this as intended . . . as very constructive criticism.

Kind regards,

Jim Kelly
--
Jim Kelly
MMW Lifetime Gold v5.0.4.2692 Portable install with 25,000 MUSIC tracks on a 2TB (Samsung T7) Portable SSD.
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit , Version: 22H2, OS build: 19045.3448 with current patches.
Used as above about 50% of time, and the balance attached to a Microsoft Dock to:
30" 2560x1600 and 24" 1920x1200 (in portrait orientation), MM5 is extended across these two displays.
Also use MMRemote to provide rating edits, volume, mute, next, prev, etc whilst mobile, via WiFi.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
No worries, I only wish that there is more people like you, I am big supporter of the bill, I do PC service repair (all thru board repair) and hardware design/build/repair for 25+ years. We are currently living on a lease and nothing that we buy we own. Even less and less each day. But that is fro another topic.

It was a compliment, as I totally agree. I would not put better words when describing the problem.

Unfortunately LOCATION node under collections always contained just paths to MM library files and there is no plan to change that behavior. Folders Browser is made for that.

You can always right click -> Find More from same -> Folder (all)/Folder (Explorer) to get what you want abd see if something is missing.
Best regards,
Peke
Jim Kelly

Post by Jim Kelly »

Thanks for your kind words Peke,
I applaud your hardware repair work and note that I have two notebooks that I would love to have installed bigger SSDs, and now both of their keyboards have failed. My search for how to do it found results . . . but the risk of total failure from the detailed long procedure was too daunting for me to consider trying! Planned obsolescence comes to mind.
* Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro
* M$ Surface Book 2

Have you discovered any current manufacturers that make excellent notebooks that are designed to be upgraded and/or repaired?

Cheers,

Jim
--
Jim Kelly
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Replied you in PM. Yoga is fairly easy to upgrade with New SSD, Surface need bit of experience, but very very doable.
Best regards,
Peke
Jim Kelly

Post by Jim Kelly »

Hi everyone,

I haven't fallen off the planet!
Just madly trying to get packed for an overland expedition due to depart today, and we might even make it.

Once we are under way I will eventually get a chance to watch the videos that you suggested Peke.

I have begun porting my MM5gold to a an external SSD that will have plenty of room for experimenting with solutions to my messed up library.

Just on the m$ Surface Book2 Peke, the batteries are beginning to give me grief. The moment I disconnect AC power, it crashes (ie to power OFF!). So to move her I need to shut everything down which is not very 'portable' and is certainly inconvenient! Thankfully w10 survived this brutal attack.

I understand that she has two batteries (one in the tablet 'display' and one under the keyboard somewhere). In your experience, is replacing both of them even more difficult or, if I opened her up to fit a huge SSD and new keyboard, would two new hard disks be an easy extra, thus a wise upgrade as well??

Looking forward to getting time to get some of my music issues properly sorted; and to investigate some high resolution music too.

Best wishes,

Jim Kelly.
--
Jim Kelly