Play back volume changes with each song played

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

cbeschler

Play back volume changes with each song played

Post by cbeschler »

Good evening, I am a beta tester running MMA version 2.0.0.1073 on a Pixel 6, and version 5.0.4.2690 for MMW. My issue is the volume of the song being played changes dramatically from song to song. All (99%) of my songs in MMW are between -8.5 db and -10.5 db. The play back volume change is so dramatic that i am constantly turning up or down the volume in my car, headphones or Bose bluetooth soundbar. I would like to mention that I have never had this problem until several weeks ago. I have tried volume leveling, but this didn't fix the problem. With past versions of MMA, there may have been an ever so slight variation in play back volume, but barely noticeable. With my current version of MMA, one song will blow out the speakers, the next song is barely audible. I am curious as to how this can be fixed and if any other users have experienced this. Thanks much!
Peke

Re: Play back volume changes with each song played

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Please make sure that at ☰ -> Options -> Playback Leveling, Disable volume changes, Disable Touch sounds is enabled.

if all that was enabled and you still observe problem send us Debug log after nex track with significant volume changed is played.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
cbeschler

Post by cbeschler »

Good evening, I am now running MMW 5.1.0.2805 and MMA(Beta) 2.0.0.1084 on my Android Pixel 6. I tried the recommendations listed in the last post. However, there was only a marginal improvement to the sound variations and to my ear, there was a degradation in sound quality. As a result, I have undone the recommendations. I have listened for patterns that may help the programmers find the problem. I have not been able to find any patterns except that the track volume in MMW5 is unrelated to the problem. I played a track tonight that had a track volume of -11.4db, (fairly loud by my standards), yet the song played so quietly that it was almost imperceptible. When I turn up the volume in the car, the next song is extremely loud. I listen to media monkey in the car and when I work out, so it is very difficult to do a send log. My only solution has been to constantly adjust the volume as each subsequent track plays. I wish I could be of more help finding a solution instead of just presenting a problem. However, sending a send log is almost impossible for me to do. If you can think of anything else I can do to help fix this, please let me know. Many thanks!
cbeschler

Post by cbeschler »

Good afternoon. I must make a public admission of not following directions. I did the following and it appears to have solved the problem. I touched ☰ -> Settings (Gear) -> Playback -> I enabled 'Level volume' under Audio, then under the "Notifications & System Sounds' I enabled the following three items -> 'Prevent Volume Changes', 'Disable notification sounds' and 'Disable touch sounds'. With these four items enabled, all appears to be working correctly now, and there doesn't appear to have any sound degradation. I apologize if I caused any unnecessary work for anyone. I will keep testing, but I just played MMA for 1-1/2 hours and all seems fine. Many thanks.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Ok, let us know if anything changes.
Best regards,
Peke
cbeschler

Post by cbeschler »

Good evening. Unfortunately, I thought this issue was fixed, but apparently not. I still have to adjust the playback volume after most tracks as the next track's volume is either too quiet or too loud. I have sent in at least three send logs. Unfortunately, i was driving, pulled over to send the send log, but didn't have anything to write the send log numbers on to give you. As an aside, I wondered if my phone or car was the problem. To find out, I played Spotify for about a week straight. I had no issues with that application, so I ruled out my equipment and believe it to be an MMA issue. I know this next statement is full of drama, but media monkey used to be fun. With this issue, I am certainly not enjoying the experience very much. If there is anything I can do to help correct this, please let me know.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I can imagine frustration, problem with spotify and other services is that they LEVEL tracks physically so that they are on same level when played. Because you do not own those tracks but lease for listening you can't tell the sound degradation that leveling caused.

Anyway I tried on three different cars and my own head unit with range of tracks that have -15db to +15db and all tracks that had Volume analyzed they played at same level.

You can try to disable Volume leveling in MMA options and see the behavior, but only way to be 100% sure is that you send us two files with a problem in order that we can analyze them eg. when you get home connect phone to PC -> copy two files of phone to pc -> Upload to dropbox/google drive/OneDrive/.... and in support ticket send us share link so that we can download and analyze.
Best regards,
Peke