From the main view of my library, how to add the playlist in wich the song is ?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Mirador1

From the main view of my library, how to add the playlist in wich the song is ?

Post by Mirador1 »

When I look at all the music in my library, I would like to add a playlist column to see the name of the playlist(s) where each song is related. There are many choices to customize this main view, but none offers me the possibility to add a playlist column. Any clue to how I can do it ?
Rob_S

Re: From the main view of my library, how to add the playlist in wich the song is ?

Post by Rob_S »

The info you want can be found under Properties dialog, classification tab, but AFAIK, there is no way to display this on the screen, in a column.

These is an addin called "highlight playlist tracks" which will highlight in the main panel any tracks being part of the selected playlist.

There have been many feature requests for a better way to view and manage playlists, and so far nothing has come of it.
Using V2024 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 11, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Mirador

Re: From the main view of my library, how to add the playlist in wich the song is ?

Post by Mirador »

Thanks for the info. The "highlight playlist tracks" addon is better then nothing. Too bad MM5 is not that good too manage playlist. Coming from MusicBee, I found out that MM5 is better for most of the features, but I guess it can't be the best for all of them!
konabri

Post by konabri »

I have figured out how to do this!!

Right click a playlist and go to the Custom tab.
For one of the Custom tags, enter the name of the playlist you are in and click ok (then yes)
Add the Custom tab you just modified to the column to sort in the main music view.

This isn't perfect. I use 4 or 5 playlists regularly and by adding 4 or 5 Custom columns I can see which tracks are in a playlist. I tried to create a custom tag called playlist, and that part worked, but I can't see where or how to add my new tab to the column view, even as it is now listed correctly in the track's properties.

Downside - this isn't dynamic, so you will need to repeat the process after editing playlists to keep the custom values current. Also what I would like to have one column that can list multiple playlists as the value, and this workaround doesn't accomplish that. But still, better than nothing
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

Ich warte schon seit entstehen von MM5 auf eine Playlistenverwaltung. Inzwischen habe ich es aufgegeben. Hier wird nicht auf die Nutzer gehört.
Es kann doch nicht sein, das dafür ein externes Plugin nötig ist. So etwas gehört zur einer Musikverwaltung.
WiFi Syncing
MM Gold 5.1.0.2813 auf Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit "portable Installation"
MM Android 2.0.0.1099 Pro auf folgenden Geräten

Samsung S23 Ultra / Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Indeed it would appear to be fairly simple to do. The information is available as it is listed in full detail under properties dialog, classification tab.

All we would really need is a way to display this info on the main screen someplace, similar to the preview window, where it could display this for the currently selected track. I can see that trying to display it as a column item would not be easy as some people might have one track in say ten or more playlists, how would you set the column width to fit that???

That being said, using the next/ previous buttons in the properties dialog allows you to cycle through whatever is displayed in the main window, including a search result, and see exactly which playlists each track is attached to.

In the classification tab, you can remove a song from a playlist simply by un-checking the box (click once on the checkmark)
Last edited by Rob_S on Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Using V2024 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 11, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's actually not that easy. The main issue is the scalability of the feature. With large media Libraries, with many Playlists including AutoPlaylists it can take significant resources per listed file to see what Playlists it exists on.
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

Für MM4 gibt es einen Playlistenmanager. Der funktioniert gut, warum soll es dann nicht auch in MM5 passen?
WiFi Syncing

Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Lowlander, it displays instantly in the properties dialog when you cycle through the tracks, as it only displays the info for the selected track.

I agree, it might be resource intensive to generate the info for all tracks displayed on the screen at any one time, and thus not able to be displayed in a column.

However, it would take very little to enable display of info per selected track, as I suggested.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Rob_S wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:01 pmit displays instantly in the properties dialog when you cycle through the tracks
This is not the case on my Library.

Note that the MMW4 Addon would need to be run to add Playlists to a custom field. You'd need to re-run it if there were any changes (* as far as I remember).
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Just like preview, I am suggesting a feature that can be turned on and off, so that anyone with performance issues with it, which I can't imagine since the info would come directly from the database, could of course turn it off (ie not display it) when not needed.

It would act exactly like the classification tab, except it would respond to the currently selected track, and not just next/previous.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Unfortunately there would be performance issues, and it should work for all, not just for those with smaller libraries. This is why in MMW4 it wasn't real-time and in an Addon.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

OK, so lots of users have requested a feature where they can see which tracks are attached to which playlists more easily. Im asking for some of those to chime in here.

If we agree that to display this up to date info for every track all the time would be a major performance hit, who would agree that being able to have this info displayed exactly as it is now displayed in the properties window. as one of the options in the preview window, or some other window, for the selected track, which may or may not have a slight performance hit for some only when actually being used, would be desireable and acceptable????

You would see it, and you would be able to uncheck any playlists from which you would like the track removed, without the additional steps of opening properties and switching to the classification tab.

If we support the idea, surely no one can say it would be hard to implement.
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

In MM4 hatte ich keine Leistungseinbußen festgestellt. Von daher gehe ich von einer Ausrede aus. Ich wiederholen mich gerne. Media Monkey ist und soll eine Musikverwaltung sein, da gehört das grundsätzlich dazu.
WiFi Syncing