match "any" / "all" in autoplaylist opti

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

DaledeSilva

match "any" / "all" in autoplaylist opti

Post by DaledeSilva »

I'm dissapointed by this method of adding logical operations in the autoplaylists...

yes, this is how itunes does it, but winamp has been doing it better for years...
not only does winamp let you write the line yourself if you're so inclined.. but in the wizard, you can group elements together... so you can say:

Code: Select all

(this = true AND that = TRUE) OR those = false
(notice the brackets)

with a global "any" / "all" option.. you cannot do this unless you make playlists for each bracket set and then reference those.

Dale.
My Plugins: PrettyPictures [v0.9.2], Forget Crossfade [v1.0], Behind Titlebars [v0.9], Filter Nodes [v1.0.1], View Mode [1.0], BPM.tapper [v1.0]
My Site: http://www.ublik-om.net
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

Yeah I was a little excited about this option until I realised the limitations to it.

I also was after something like

and
and
and
and x or y
rusty

any/all autoplaylist options

Post by rusty »

We actually had numerous specs for this feature, but opted for something simple that would be understood by most vs a more complex feature that few would understand.

That said, can someone point out how do access this functionality in Winamp? I tried the Search bar but it didn't seem to work, and I couldn't find the equivalent of autoplaylists.

-Rusty
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

just reinstalled winamp to take a gander at this for you... I actually couldn't find it for a second.. ha ha.

okay.. in the library.. click the library button down the bottom left and then what you want is called new "smart view"

upon opening that.. it should be on the "simple view editor" tab which is basically MM's "advanced" tab.

if you switch to the "advanced editor" tab you'll see you have a query string you can directly type in or use the query builder... in here you can make something as complex as you like.

I agree with the approach of keeping certain things simple enough for non-power users... especially since it will really help attract more customers to Mediamonkey.. however, alot of the users of mediamonkey at the moment ARE power users, and I think winamp has it the correct way round.. the stuff in MM's advanced tab could really be filed under "basic" and something more advanced like a query builder could be added.

another thing I'd like to mention... if each autoplaylist could be represented as a query like this... imagine how easy it would be for scriptes to batch generate autoplaylists if you make it open to them.
My Plugins: PrettyPictures [v0.9.2], Forget Crossfade [v1.0], Behind Titlebars [v0.9], Filter Nodes [v1.0.1], View Mode [1.0], BPM.tapper [v1.0]
My Site: http://www.ublik-om.net