Rating FLAC not aligned with others

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

itsjsdi

Rating FLAC not aligned with others

Post by itsjsdi »

When rating FLAC files is set a value 20 times the number of stars. that discrepates with other converters like dbpower, so those always rate 5 stars when converting from FLAC to WMA as, 20, 40, 60, 80, etc. are bigger than 5.

That does not happen for MP3 and WMA formats, as rating is exactly the number of stars (1,2,3,4,5) without multiplying by anything. dbpower also rates 1,2,3,4,5 (the number of stars) for FLAC files.

So, what is happening? Is there not some kind of specification about rating in order to everywhere use the same way?

Rating is a pain when looking for compatibility with other programs.

I can't use conversion to WMA LossLess with MM3a5 as it does not have the possibility to configure CD quality and I get files bigger thah even the corresponding WAV and a very high bitrate. But the quality is not bigger, as the source has a quality and that can't be improved, only maintained.
itsjsdi

Post by itsjsdi »

A bit more explanation:

Loading within MM3a5 the WMA file with rating 5 and setting the rate to 3, I get the file with the tag rating changed to 3 and added the tag SDB/rating with the value 60.

Perhaps the tag SDB/rating with 60 should be added to the FLAC file and the tag Rating with the value 3 should be maintained in the FLAC file.
itsjsdi

Post by itsjsdi »

Explanation about WMA LossLess encoding:

MM3a5 has fixed converting to DVD quality, 96 KHz, 24 bits.
It is necessary to be able to configure CD quality, 44,1 Khz, 16 bits.
rusty

WMA Lossless problem and ratings

Post by rusty »

Re. WMA lossless encoding: it's a bug in alpha5 -- on our todo list.

Re. ratings, the problems stems from the lack of a clear standard. We're going to look into whether there's a solution that will maintain a 10 point system, along with compatibility with other applications that use a 5 point system.

-Rusty
itsjsdi

Post by itsjsdi »

For WMA the compatibility is already achieved if you only use integer numbers. The value is maintained when going and coming from to MM3a5 and WMP. You set the value in one player and you get the same value in the other player.

That doesn't happen for MP3 files, for which there are a 0,5 of correction that produces disagrement beetwen the two players.
rusty

rating tags

Post by rusty »

True, this was implemented intentionally for WMA. The issues for MP3 and other formats are a bit different. That said, it's on our to do list and we'll see if there's a solution.

-Rusty
itsjsdi

Post by itsjsdi »

In MM3a6 it's been a work to fix the problem for MP3 files. Well, it seems like is been done in the oposite order the adding of the half point. Now when I set two stars in MM3a6, I get three stars when imported in WMP. I have not tested the oposite way. When I set one star in MM, I get two stars in WMP. When I set three stars in MM, I get three stars too in WMP. I haven't tested other combinations.