Play Next + Shuffle [NOTREP]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

PolarBear2k

Play Next + Shuffle [NOTREP]

Post by PolarBear2k »

Hi,
I think the Now Playing list should work like the Party Shuffle list in iTunes, where during shuffle mode, a now playing playlist gets generated on the fly. Currently when you have shuffle on, clicking on a song and selecting Play Next doesn't really work since the song is inserted after the current playing song and because of shuffle that song will not be selected next.

Now Playing list should always show you the order the songs will be played obviously limited to a certain number of songs when you have continuous playback on.
Spazz

Post by Spazz »

look under auto dj
Peke

Post by Peke »

Auto DJ Help
Note: MM3 will allow you to make your own Auto DJ scripts
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum
PolarBear2k

Post by PolarBear2k »

I checked auto dj out and noticed the following:

Play Next still doesn't work when you have shuffle on. The next song is still chosen randomly the the Now Playing list of songs. I guess there is no point to have shuffle on when you are using auto dj. So I guess this works fine.

I changed the Play Now Action in Options > Player to Clean & Play selected only. Auto DJ is setup to maintain at least 5 upcoming songs. Now here comes the weird part. When I double click some songs, the list gets populates with 1, 2 or 3 songs, song 1 being always the one I clicked on. This happens randomly meaning that there is no logic to when and how many songs it will put in the Now Playing list. And this behaviour is not consistent with each song, so when I just keep double clicking on the same song, the list gets populated with 1, 2 or 3 songs. When the songs ends and the next one begins I sometimes get another track added to the list but not always. Auto DJ is not maintaining the 5 upcoming tracks at all.
[/list]
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Auto DJ is always maintaining the 5 upcoming tracks, but if you have shuffle enabled you must wait until all (minus the 5) tracks are played. Auto DJ checks over whether (all - 5) songs have been already played before adding another one.
Peke

Post by Peke »

This how I do:
1. Set Desired behavior for doubleclick: When playing: Play last, When Stopped: Play Next, Playnow: Play selected only
2. Auto Dj settings: Maintain 5 Upcomming tracks, Retain Most All tracks in Playlist (When I like what MM plays with Auto DJ I mostly Make Static playlist of it.
3. I add populate Now playing playlist with few tracks (mostly around 1 hour)
4. Right Click on now playing List -> Randomize List
5 start playing first one

Note: Shuffle is Off. and I have Shuffled tracks playing, but all prev next works and Auto DJ do its work :) I still havn't been able to play much on MM3 Auto DJ scripts but I have written down several Smart Auto DJ ideas to play with as soon as I see MM3 out and pressure is cooling down. No time for my own amusement and DJ-ing :(
Best regards,
Peke
PolarBear2k

Post by PolarBear2k »

I observed the behaviour more closely.

Now Playing list is blank, Shuffle OFF, Auto DJ ON (Continuous Playback OFF), Play Now Action is set to Clear tracks & play selected track only.

I click (double click) on a song in the main window where all my songs are.
3 possible outcomes:
1) Only the selected song gets added to the Now Playing list. Song plays, finishes. No more playback.
2) The selected song and a second song get added to the list. First song plays, finishes. Now during the transition to the next song there might or might not be a new song added to the end of the list (this is the problem). Second songs plays, finishes. If a song was added (song #3) when the first song finished then playback continues to the next song. At this point we get the same scenario when a song might or might not be added to the list. Playback stops when the last song on the list finishes.
3) Three songs get added to the list. During the transition from song 2 to 3 a new song might or might not be added to the list.

Its completely random if a new song gets added to the end of the list when the second last song finishes. I've gotten up to 10 songs, (9 songs got added automatically) but I didn't get a new one when song #9 finished.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hmmm....Most Interesting.

Have you tried my solution?
Best regards,
Peke
PolarBear2k

Post by PolarBear2k »

I selected 5 songs and clicked play now.
6 songs where added to the list and song 1 started playing. So Auto DJ added the extra song to I figure maintain the 5 upcoming songs. This is the expected behaviour but as I repeated this step of clicking play now I noticed that I get that 6th song only 25% of the time. Usually I just get the 5 I selected.

Then I started playing around with the Now Playing list.
I've dragged one song to an empty now playing list.
I clicked on the song and pressed play.
The song started playing and 2 new songs were added to the list.
I began randomly double clicking on any of those 3 songs. After x clicks (could be 1, but usually more), a new song was added to the list.
Now I have 4 songs.
I continue with the clicking and keep getting songs added in the same manner.
Once the list gets bigger than 5 songs, clicking on a song that is more than 5 songs away from the end of the list I never get a new song (expected behaviour due to the 5 upcoming song setting).

This is what I'm experiencing in pseudo code:

Code: Select all

var songs_to_maintain = 5
if(current_song_index >= list.Count - songs_to_maintain)
    var add_song = GetTrueOrFalseRandomly()
    AddNewSong(add_song)
PolarBear2k

Post by PolarBear2k »

I downloaded a different skin and noticed that the Auto DJ problem wasn't happening. I loaded the previous skin I have and the problem doesn't occur at all. I don't know what to say. :-? Works Great
Peke

Post by Peke »

That is why I couldn't replicate :(
Best regards,
Peke