How to delete auto-organize masks?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

frabman

How to delete auto-organize masks?

Post by frabman »

My list of previously-useds masks in the dropdown when running auto-organize keeps growing as I am slowly getting my library origanized.

How can I clean up the ones I no longer need? Some were mistakes, some I never used, some are slight variations of each other.

It gets harder and harder to use the drop-down since every one seems to be saved in the history and I cant find a way to delete ones i no longer want.

Thanks,
frabman
ashishg

Post by ashishg »

These marks are located into MediaMonkey.ini file which is at the same place MediaMonkey.db. Just open file in text and search and delete.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Make sure you do this when MM is closed though as it caches the settings and will rewrite the file when it closes, overwriting any changes you may have made.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
BrickTop

Re: How to delete auto-organize masks?

Post by BrickTop »

I'm not into these kinds of files all that often so I searched around and found a few things that someone might find helpful. The MediaMonkey.ini is located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\[Your Windows User Name]\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey

Be sure you look in the "Application Data" folder that is INSIDE the "Local Settings" folder, as there is an "Applications Data" folder on the SAME LEVEL as the "Local Settings" folder that does NOT contain the "MediaMonkey" folder.

Secondly, when you do get to the ini file, it should automatically open into a text editor (like NotePad). You are looking towards the very bottom where it says [FileMasks] (This is not so obvious to us geeks that are not truly classified as techno-geeks.)

Finally, if you just delete a mask (say, Mask3 of 10) I THINK you need to be sure to go back and renumber the remaining masks. (An Admin-geek type might be able to verify or deny this.) Just something to consider.

BrickTop
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

This really needs to be built into the main GUI whereby the user can select a mask or masks and choose to delete them from the program window. Requiring the average user to go into a text file and find the correct data to delete, let alone delete that data, is not intuitive at all. I am certainly not beyond making these changes myself but due to MM not having adequate sortname support, I have refrained from doing any internal clean up because the list will just fill up again the next time I need to auto-organize a person with a last name. Given the amount of new music I get, that will be quite soon and often. I'd rather not deal with the never ending task of .ini editing.
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
Itlan

Post by Itlan »

spacefish wrote:This really needs to be built into the main GUI whereby the user can select a mask or masks and choose to delete them from the program window. Requiring the average user to go into a text file and find the correct data to delete, let alone delete that data, is not intuitive at all. I am certainly not beyond making these changes myself but due to MM not having adequate sortname support, I have refrained from doing any internal clean up because the list will just fill up again the next time I need to auto-organize a person with a last name. Given the amount of new music I get, that will be quite soon and often. I'd rather not deal with the never ending task of .ini editing.
+1
Man this is frustrating. Cleaning up the Auto-organize Masks should be easy.

I'd also like to see a feature where you can give a certain mask a name, to make it easier to select. I have 2 masks that I use, one for normal albums and another for Various Artists albums. They are both very similar except for the very end of the mask. In order to select between the two I have to select one and scroll all the way to the left to see which one I selected.

Being able to name the masks makes it easy because I can call one "Normal Album Mask" and the other "Various Artists Mask".
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Ctrl+Delete would be good way to do this, like deleting URL's from the browser address bar drop down.
malachisecretspy

Post by malachisecretspy »

i also need to clean these up,but am unsure if whicj ones to delete?could someone please tell me what all the symbols mean and such.i dont want to delete the masks it uses on startup and such.any help i would be very greatful....thx!!!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

malachisecretspy wrote:i also need to clean these up,but am unsure if whicj ones to delete?could someone please tell me what all the symbols mean and such.i dont want to delete the masks it uses on startup and such.any help i would be very greatful....thx!!!
Symbol meanings are in the wiki:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... able_Masks
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
malachisecretspy

Post by malachisecretspy »

thanks alot.will be handy to learn whats what before i go deleting. :D
MMuser2011

Post by MMuser2011 »

6 years after the first post there is still no simple way to delete no longer needed (or even wrong) auto-organize masks?

I have deleted all my entries from the mediamonkey.ini section
[FileMasks]

After a new start of MediaMonkey.exe this section will be filled automatically and unwanted with 6 default-masks.

The same seems to be true for the sections:
[EncodeMasks]
[BurnMasks]

How can I delete ALL this unwanted masks forever?

Do we have a feature request ticket for a simple way on the GUI to delete such entries?
Magic Nodes v4.3.3 (2018-10-03) last free version SQL Viewer v2.4 (2009-10-25)
ExternalTools v1.4 (2011-05-09) iTunesMonkey 1.0 + Acoustid
Calculate Cover Size v1.7 (2012-10-23) RegExp Find & Replace v4.4.9 (2018-10-03) last free version
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Having a gui way to make changes to ini would be nice. We have a rule in our designs that users are NEVER directed to make changes to "control" data (ini files) or to the registry. Those kind of changes ASSUME a specific level of knowledge of the user which we find usually not existing ;)
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
radarmonkey

Post by radarmonkey »

MMuser2011 wrote: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:18 am 6 years after the first post there is still no simple way to delete no longer needed (or even wrong) auto-organize masks?
6 more years and there still appears to be no way to do it that I can find. :(
spiddy

Post by spiddy »

For anyone else still struggling with this in 2022...the above steps from BrickTop work (thank you so much!), but they show up for me under [RenameMasks] instead of [FileMasks] :)