Page 1 of 1

genre TAG problem

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:25 am
by xelanx
hi,
Actually i use media monkey and i have thousand of songs in my library, but i have a problem with music genre:
for exemple i download the song" MOVE-thousand foot krutch" from two different websites(so i have two tracks for the same song) and when i put them into mediamonkey library i see that one of them is tagged into blues and the other one is tagged into christian rock ....Even if they are the same tracks...so WHY?

Re: genre TAG problem

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:39 am
by Lowlander
Perhaps the 2 different sources have tagged a different Genre to the file.

Re: genre TAG problem

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:43 am
by xelanx
Exactly,ca someone give me a credible site to download my tracks i need that genre must be as exact as possible

Re: genre TAG problem

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:49 am
by nohitter151
xelanx wrote:Exactly,ca someone give me a credible site to download my tracks i need that genre must be as exact as possible
You can just change it yourself.

But I really don't understand quite a few things in regards to your post. Why do you need 2 copies of a track at all? Most people don't want any duplicates. And even if there is a reason, why not just download the file once and then copy it yourself on your own PC?

Your post doesn't really make any sense.

Re: genre TAG problem

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:06 pm
by xelanx
I am actually working on a Project, and I need to download thousand and thousand of tracks and sort them by gender as soon as possible (less than one month) , so i need that the genre must be correct ...i have tried to use tag from the web but it's not working :-? (amazon and musicBrainz also)

Re: genre TAG problem

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:58 pm
by yarguy
I must confess I don't understand at all the concept "genre must be correct". Genre is not a fact, but an opinion. Something you might want to tag as blues, I might want to tag as jazz. Just check any Miles Davis album on freedb to see how often exactly the same album gets tagged with different genre. And if I am being particularly categorical I might want to tag some Art Blakely as Hard Bop rather than jazz and I have almost all my Weather Report albums tagged as Fusion, but I know lots (well some) people who prefer to tag it jazz and others as pop. I think you're chasing a phantom.

Re: genre TAG problem

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:34 am
by nohitter151
xelanx wrote:I am actually working on a Project, and I need to download thousand and thousand of tracks and sort them by gender as soon as possible (less than one month) , so i need that the genre must be correct ...i have tried to use tag from the web but it's not working :-? (amazon and musicBrainz also)
Amazon and MusicBrainz don't tag genre. Like the post above, genre is not really something that is 'right' or 'wrong'. Sort of like a track rating in that regard.

That being said, check out the "Genre finder" addon by Trixmoto, you can tag tracks with genre in bulk by looking at tags on last.fm and use a whitelist or blacklist.