display problems when using two monitors with different resolutions [#17552]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

bdbtbb

display problems when using two monitors with different resolutions [#17552]

Post by bdbtbb »

I have two monitors: (1) a big 4K TV (HDMI connection) and (2) my laptop's built-in 1080p screen.

- MM5 (2240 build) always loads into the 1080p screen even if I was using it full screen on the 4K panel the last time; side columns which were resized previously, return to their default width every time I load;
- right-clicking on MM5 while it is in the 4K panel opens a context menu on the 1080p screen. Because the width of the screens are so different, the interaction menus often open off the side of the 1080p screen and so cannot be accessed; the library rescan window opens on the 1080p screen but in 4K size, making it difficult to use.

I am using: MediaMonkey_5.0.0.2240_Debug.exe on a laptop (AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx, 2000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)), Windows 10 Home

(ps. I see the same problem was last reported in 2018. Hope it's OK to post it again now.)
Last edited by bdbtbb on Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barry4679

Re: display problems when using two monitors

Post by Barry4679 »

I can't replicate this problem.

I have Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, with dual monitors.

I open MM5. It opens on monitor A. I drag to monitor B, and close MM5. ... When I restart it, it is on monitor B. ... Also the right click menus open on the expected monitor in each case.

Are you closing MM5 normally before powering off your laptop?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
bdbtbb

Post by bdbtbb »

Wow, ok, thanks for telling me this. Looks like it might just be me then.

As I said, I am on Win 10 Home, my laptop screen is my main monitor, and I extend to a 4K TV as screen 2 over HDMI.

My experience is with moving MM5 to the external monitor and all the context menus appearing on the wrong screen (and off the sides of the wrong screen), and MM5 always reopening on the wrong screen.

Yes, I am closing MM5 normally - flow is as follows:
- open MM5 (it opens on the laptop monitor)
- wait for initial scan to complete
- reduce from full screen, drag to external monitor, maximize
- adjust sidebars and panels to the sizes I set them at before closing the app
- play some music; while interacting context menus appear on the laptop screen, often off the edge of the screen
- finish playing music
- close the app

On reopening - after a suitable interval - this process is repeated from the first step.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Hi. Most probably it's because of different resolutions (4k vs FHD). Are you using same DPI settings on both displays ?
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
bdbtbb

Post by bdbtbb »

Hi

No DPI settings that I can find in Windows settings. I use the Display options in Windows Settings to set up the two monitors - the big one positioned above the small one.

I have scaling on the 4K TV set to 125% as otherwise text looks tiny (it's a 48" screen).

All other apps work fine in this respect with the 4K TV.

I should add I am using the MM5 skin "Black Monkey".
bdbtbb

Post by bdbtbb »

Would appreciate any help with this. If I open MM5 from the start menu on the 4K TV, it opens on the 4K TV. If I open MM5 from the laptop monitor, it opens on the monitor - ie., MM5 doesn't remember where I last opened it.

Also, still getting context menus opening on the laptop screen only.

Scaling on the 4K TV is set to 125% in Windows Display settings.

Not a big deal, but clearly not intended behaviour?
bdbtbb

Post by bdbtbb »

Barry4679 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:02 am I can't replicate this problem.

I have Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, with dual monitors.

I open MM5. It opens on monitor A. I drag to monitor B, and close MM5. ... When I restart it, it is on monitor B. ... Also the right click menus open on the expected monitor in each case.

Are you closing MM5 normally before powering off your laptop?
Is one of your monitors a 4K TV? (just to be sure we're talking about the same setup here)
1337haXXor

Post by 1337haXXor »

I've had this same issue for a while. I have MM open on my second monitor (1080p) and all context menus appear on my main monitor (QHD). Additionally, new windows (add media, options, file properties) used to be 50/50 for the monitor they appear on, but sometime a few updates ago they consistently open up on my main monitor. Currently on 2240 (updating now).

More info, I have both those monitors hooked up to my GPU and this has always been a problem with MM5. I have a 3rd monitor hooked up directly to the MoBo, and when I used to run MM on that one, I never had issues. That monitor was always registered as my 3rd. That one is a 1080p oriented vertically.
bdbtbb

Post by bdbtbb »

I am on 2243 latest build, and still getting context menus opening on the wrong screen.

I use a 3rd party app to force MM5 to always open on the monitor I want it to open on.
MikeGahrns

Post by MikeGahrns »

FWIW, I too am seeing this. I have several monitors, and the context menu is opening on the wrong monitor only some of the time. I haven't spent too much time trying to diagnose the pattern 100%, but it seems:
- if MM5 is on a monitor to the right of my main center monitor, the context menu will be on the wrong monitor (my main monitor)
- if MM5 is on my center monitor, context menu is on center monitor
- if MM5 is on a monitor to the left of my main center monitor, the context menu will be on the correct monitor (one left of center)
bdbtbb

Post by bdbtbb »

Yes, that's a useful distinction - the context menus only appear on the screen that is selected as Main Monitor in Windows 10. The context menus always appear on the Main Monitor even if it is not the monitor that MM5 is open on.
MikeGahrns

Post by MikeGahrns »

Intersting that bdbtbb and I are seeing fairly similiar behavior. Bdbtt: is your main monitor to the left of your second monitor? Any monitors I have on the right of the main monitor, the context menu appears on the main center monitor. But for the monitors I have on the left of my center main monitor, the context menu appears on the correct monitor.

Assuming your main monitor is to the left of your second monitor, it would be interesting to see if you see the same behavior as me with the context menu not switching to the main monitor if it is on the right. (If on Win 10, Right click on desktop-->Display to change monitor designations and positions....)
bdbtbb

Post by bdbtbb »

I have a 4k TV above my main monitor (laptop screen). I drag windows vertically upwards on to the 4k screen.

When MM5 is on the 4K screen above, all the context menus appear on the laptop monitor below.

I have not tried changing my setup to different orientations for testing, so it's interesting to hear how your slightly different setup produces slightly different results.

When MM5 is open on the main monitor, the context menus open on the main monitor as expected.

I only use two monitors at the moment.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is the main issue with Extended Multi Monitors where actual usable desktop resolution is calculated as sum of res both Monitors.

This will be very hard to implement as MM would need to override Windows setting and use own handling which would then break windows native handling of app windows and so on. eg. in your case when you want to get Context menu Windows report "You have 1000px Available below cursor position so you can draw context height there!" :( The solution you see would be that MM determine Mouse position+calculate how much you have till next monitor and then draw context menu. Main issue there is that MM would need to Hook and override Windows mouse control which in many many case is considered as Mouse logging which file under suspicious behavior common to click hijackers and viruses.

If you move 4k Below Main monitor you would get the same issue.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MikeGahrns

Post by MikeGahrns »

Hi Pavle,

Maybe I am missing something, but I didn't understand your explanation. In my case, there is always a ton of extra space outside the main MM5 window. Since this is the case, why is it only sometimes that the context window gets drawn on the wrong monitor?

Just to make sure I am describing the problem correctly, the problem is that when I right click, sometimes the context window is drawn on the monitor where MM5 is, other times it is on a separate monitor. I thought originally the problem occurred if I was running MM5 on a monitor to the right of my center main monitor. I did some more investigation after your latest reply and I see that it is not that straight forward. I see now that sometimes things work correctly on a monitor to the right of my main center monitor.

Then I thought it had something to do with how close I was to the edge of the MM5 when I clicked. The closer I got to the edge, it seemed the more likely the context menu would be drawn on a monitor to the left of where MM5 was running.

However, I exited and closed MM5, and now now matter where I clicked, the context menu is being drawn on the correct monitor. So the problem seems to be more random than what I originally thought.

Are you saying that Windows tells MM5 where to draw the context menu and that sometimes it tells you to draw it on a different monitor? If so this sounds like a Windows bug. But it seems weird that it is so indeterminate. Like I said, the amount of free space I have across all monitors is constant, but the behavior seems to be random as to where the context menu is drawn.

Hopefully what I described makes sense, let me know if a video of the behavior I am seeing would help.

thx.